3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 8:04 AM by amn

Does a publishing/playing stream need a persistent Stratus connection?

amn

I have been using Stratus for some time now, and I find the idea quite intriguing.

I can see that the information is sparce, and my own conclusions tell me that Stratus is a sort of "peer locator" service. Obviously, you cannot really talk about peer-2-peer, when a central service is used anyway. Well, maybe only on network level. I am guessing the peer identifiers that are exchanged for setting up direct streams on a Stratus connection, encode adresses and ports where Flash Player instances exchange the actual stream data.

If that is so, why does one (and Adobe themselves) need to keep the connection between a client and the service, after a peer has connected f.e.?

I mean after a peer has another peer's valid ID, shouldn't they be able to take it from there, without further loading and taxing the server? Certainly, that would free Adobe from server load as well?

• 1. Re: Does a publishing/playing stream need a persistent Stratus connection?
          Michael Thornburgh Adobe Employee

the peerID does not contain any network address information about the peer.  it is a cryptographic hash (based on its length you can probably guess which one) of the cryptographic credentials that peers use to talk to each other.  the nature of the cryptographic credentials and handshakes used by peers makes the peerIDs unique and unforgeable.

an RTMFP server such as Stratus translates, at the RTMFP level (invisible to ActionScript) peerIDs to network addresses (one or more IP address and UDP port number pairs), and also performs an introduction step for NAT/firewall traversal (so the destination peer can do "UDP hole punching" to create a return path for the originating peer).

there are several practical reasons why a peer remains connected to Stratus after a P2P conversation has started.  among them:

1) to receive introductions for NAT/firewall hole punching for new peers wishing to communicate

2) (re)connecting to the server is expensive, in cryptographic operations, vs the relatively light load of managing/maintaining the state of a quiescent connection.  memory is cheaper than CPU.

3) it is more efficient to rely on the RTMFP session semantics and low-level keepalives to maintain registration state vs explicitly refreshing registrations periodically (à la SIP)

4) IP address changes can be recognized earlier and automatically accounted for in the registration information

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does a publishing/playing stream need a persistent Stratus connection?
            Michael Thornburgh Adobe Employee

note that the load we have been seeing recently would have been significantly worse with intermittent connections, as the load was caused by peerID lookups, not concurrent users or connection churn.

• 3. Re: Does a publishing/playing stream need a persistent Stratus connection?
              amn Level 1

Thank you, makes it all much clearer now. Certainly having a central server assist clients, with hole punching for instance, is a good decision.