3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 1:47 PM by Todd_Kopriva

How to change scratch disk location?

brettr2 Level 1

I'm using CS4 on a Mac.  When I go to Project Preferences, I don't see a scratch disk tab.  Is this location somewhere else?

• 1. Re: How to change scratch disk location?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

After Effects doesn't use a scratch disk, per se.

There is a disk cache. See this page: "RAM and disk cache"

• 2. Re: How to change scratch disk location?
            brettr2 Level 1

Thanks Todd.  I have disk cache enabled.  It seems outside of upgrading your machine's hardware, there isn't anything you can do to speed up rendering.  I tried three different scenarios with the same render output settings:

1.) For a particular 30 second video, it takes 33 minutes to render it out to a Quicktime movie.  I'm rendering to an Iomega eGo connected via USB.  My disk cache is also stored there.

2.) I have a Patriot XT 200x USB flash drive and used the same configuration as above.  It gets about half way through rendering, which is at 33 minutes.  I expect it will take twice as long as the eGo.  I'd thought the flash drive would be faster than the mechanical eGo.  Does anyone know why it is twice as slow?

3.) Macbook stand alone:  It got half way at 23 minutes.

I'm suprised to see the flash drive is the slowest of all.  I'm getting some benefit from the eGo.  It performs much better on some other renders vs using the Macbook standalone.

My goal is to speed up rendering using the existing Machine - Macbook with 4GB RAM.  I think performance can improve by offloading rendering to an external drive.  I need something like a flash drive which is small and connected directly to the machine...vs. the eGo which is the opposite.  Does anyone have some suggestions on something with the flash drive's form factor but matches or betters the performance of the eGo?

• 3. Re: How to change scratch disk location?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8
              > It seems outside of upgrading your machine's hardware, there isn't anything you can do to speed up rendering.

There's a whole page of tips for improving performance here: "Improve performance"