3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 11:43 AM by kglad

AS 2: Using an XML object to retreive a static XML file

kjnieland

I’m working on learning how to bring  XML info into Flash. Eventually I’m trying to pull a bunch of data about  Interstate 80 drug and cash stops for an interactive project to go with a big  centerpiece story for the newspaper I work for.

I’ve been through a Lynda.com tutorial  three times now. I made a dataset, bound it to a datagrid and attached the datagrid to the xml file. When I run a trace, I can see in the output window that the XML is being pulled in. But I must be doing something wrong nothing is being displayed in the datagrid. It should bring in the first three items in the  code: ‘yr, date, and when’ into their categories in the  grid, but it's just blank.

Here’s the code in flash:

var myXML:XML = new  XML();

myXML.ignoreWhite =  true;

myXML.onLoad =  function(success) {

if(success) {

for (var x=0;x<this.firstChild.childNodes.length;x++)  {

var i80Node:XMLNode =  this.firstChild.childNodes[x];

i80_ds.addItem({yr:i80Node.attributes.yr,

date:i80Node.attributes.date,

when:i80Node.attributes.when });

}

} else  {

//Throw error here

}

}

myXML.load("http://www.huskerextra.com/resources/newsroom/2010/mar/i80katietest.xml");

Here's the XML data:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
      <results_packet>
        <rec yr="2009" date="9.9.08" when="3:47 p.m." />

</results_packet>

If you have any ideas, it’d be much  appreciated, I have been trying to figure this out for hours.

I'm new to this XML to Flash thing. Mostly what I do is just make buttons and animations, so thanks so much for any  help!

KJNieland