8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 7:00 PM by the_wine_snob

PDF to what for a video edit?

shooternz Level 6

What do you guys suggest I do with a pile of PDF files that I need to use in a Video for a marketing awards show presentation?

ie. what shall I convert them to  (jpeg, psd, png,...?)

It will be convenient in my workflow to be able to at least see thumbnails of the files so I can locate and ID them.

Anyone recommend a batch converter for the task? (I have a lot of them to do and I will scale them simultaneously as well!)

Thanx

• 1. Re: PDF to what for a video edit?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Craig,

Lean back and take a helicopter view.

What is the message they want to get across? Not a bunch of PDF's, but the headlines, like a news report. What is the essence? If you can summarize those PDF's into a couple of one-liners, you are done, but it really requires you to understand what your client wants and your client to understand what they want to tell. Now that is the hard part. After that, it is easy. It usually takes quite some time and convincion to get them to see this, but that is the challenge that makes this work so interesting.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PDF to what for a video edit?
            shooternz Level 6

Harm

I will need to show the PDFs as images because they are the advertising campaigns from 2009 for a major international corporation.  They are high image content pdfs luckily (ie not much text that does not need to be actually read ).  Mostly DPS and bill boards

My question is more about what to convert the pdfs to... (filewise) rather than a treatment of them.

It wont be too difficult to exceed my clients visual expectations ( and references from previous shows - which are largely PowerPoint style.videos)

I do feel a few page turns and some trick transitions coming up though ....and I am sure to go well past my quota for a life time.

Hey .. I even need to animate some graphs in AEFX for this project and simulate some web screen activities as well as thrown in the TVCs I have been shooting for them.

Great thing about this client is they have very strong, well designed  "style sheets" to work to and fall back on.  Helps a lot.

• 3. Re: PDF to what for a video edit?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

PSD's would be good, with one exception - the thumbnails will be seen in Bridge/similar, but probably not in Windows Explorer.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PDF to what for a video edit?
                shooternz Level 6

Yeah.  My gut intuition says psds but the thumbnail thing was something I do need to consider to make this workflow ...flow!

Idea is as I set it up...I get it right by good planning. Its a bit of a messy one.  (Actually I am doing two of them - two different product categories)

I guess its PhotoShop time...(no batch process huh?)

• 5. Re: PDF to what for a video edit?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Craig,

PDF's can not be treated directly, but if you enlarge them and then capture with SnagIt in a scrolling window, you can use the resolution you want. It is relatively easy to capture those PDF's in 4,000 x 4,000 size or whatever you need and store them as PNG's, JPG or whatever you like.

• 6. Re: PDF to what for a video edit?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

The only place that you are likely to not have thumbnails is Windows Explorer. Going back some OS's, there was the psicon.dll, that did read the preview of a PSD. Do not recall the exact chronology, but psicon.dll was removed. For a few versions, people basically passed it around to get thumbnails back. Then, and maybe it was Vista (?), that the old psicon.dll ceased to work.

In all Adobe browsers, you will have the thumbs, as well as in PrPro. Most image cataloging programs, like ThumbsPlus, will have no issues IIRC, IrfanView even displays the previews for PSD's. It is only in Windows Explorer, with Thumbnail View turned on, where you will get the PS icon.

I'll be one happy camper, if I can get you to use Photoshop... Nah, here it is the best tool for the job. AI can open the PDF's, but you'd still want to Rasterize them, and PS would be the ticket for the best results, so it's just easier to start and end there.

Now, unless you have some individual operations to perform, I'd just write an Action to Open the PDF's, then Save_As .PSD's. You can still add some "stuff," like sizing, etc.. When done with your Action, just go to File>Automate (syntax might have changed in CS4), then set your Source Folder to the location of the PDF's, your Destination Folder to suit, any file name changes, and make sure that your Action is chosen for the operation. You can by-pass the Open command, if you do not need to see this operation being done, and can also set your Edit Preferences>Save to the exact method of handling Backward Compatibility, so you will have zero dialog screens to deal with. Go get a cup of coffee, and the PSD's will be waiting for you to Import.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PDF to what for a video edit?
                      shooternz Level 6

Thanx Harm

Interesting and I will try that as an experiment but I think the workflow is going to be too time consuming that way.

Bill.  Its PhotoShop time all right. I think I will employ an asst. editor for the task.

Seriously it will be worth it on this 2 week  project. Lots of moving parts and I can use the other suite puters at my studio because I decided to go DV .

• 8. Re: PDF to what for a video edit?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, for a FC ticket, and some Cloudy Bay Late Harvest Riesling, I could be coerced into coming down and doing the PS work for you. I've always wanted to visit the "Land of the Long White Cloud."

Good luck, and if you need any input on the Actions, just let me know - Cloudy Bay, or not.

Hunt