6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 4:22 PM by nealeh

Where Has Audible Audio Gone?

AdelaidePeter

Your very interesting discussion on re-rendering and the red line recently makes me wonder if asynchronous processes locking files are causing my disappearing audible audio that is also driving me nuts. Photoshop 8 is often packaged with PrE8 and it has a photo and movie indexer that is possible causing file lock & contention problems too - but what could be locking or otherwise impacting the audio components of my rendered clips? Surely Adobe has integrated these products so they do not hijack each others operability?

Note I have downloaded Pre 8.0.1 and the 195.62 driver from NVidea using their wizard to ensure right version. Pre8 is much more stable, though not perfectly, however disappearing audible audio still occurs if session ends (either deliberately or via a crash)!

To re-produce:
      1. For each of a number of avi clips (using Main Concept Adobe 2 H.264 codec derived from the Hypercam 3.0 screen capture program), get media.
      2. Preview to make sure audio is present and if not delete clip & repeat step one until it is.
      3. When audio is working, drag clip to sceneline and test audio still works.
      4. Continue until all clips are imported and in sceneline.
      5. Close Pre8 Session & reopen.
      6. Wait for a sequence of conform audo operations to conclude and allow re-render to occur for a time.
      7. Verify that audio waveforms are visible in the timeline, that sound is enabled, but that nothing can be heard when the timeline is played. Verify too that when a DV AVI or WMV movie is created, it too has no audible sound!

Has anyone else out there experienced phantom sound phenomena like this? Where is the sound component held?

• 1. Re: Where Has Audible Audio Gone?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The problem is likely your source video. It's unlikely you'll be able to successfully use the video from that program without issues.

Converting the MP4 or whatever AVIs Hyperam produces to a DV-AVIs should your problem. The FAQs to the right of this forum offer some converter solutions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Where Has Audible Audio Gone?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This is a very general audio issue ARTICLE, but something there might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - do you have DD 5.1 SS Audio in your files?

• 3. Re: Where Has Audible Audio Gone?
              nealeh Level 5

AdelaidePeter wrote:

Note I have downloaded Pre 8.0.1 and the 195.62 driver from NVidea using their wizard to ensure right version.

I'm very surprised that 195.62 is recommended by the wizard - 196.75WHQL is the latest GeForce version. All 195 versions before 195.81 were bugged with the crash problem.

What operating system (version and 32 or 64 bit) and graphics card do you have?

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Where Has Audible Audio Gone?
                AdelaidePeter Level 1

I have a 32bit system:

Vista Home Premium (on Acer Aspire 8920) with 3GB Ram dual 160GB HD and the Nvidia GeForce 9500M GS/PCI/SSE2 3.2.0 GPU card.

I will try and manually download the one you recommend manually soon.

Thanks for the advice.

Mr Hunt's advice re audio I used to check that things were not muted etc.

I added smartmix & you can hear the music fine!

The healthy looking waveforms in the timeline show the audio is known to the PrE8 software - we just can not hear it any more.

Normalise gain made no difference.

Only when I re-import clip-by-clip & preview can you hear anything and even then you must do so a few times to get a good result sometimes.

Tried rendering to DV AVI movie but it is not crisp enough visually and still no sound at the end of 12 hours.

There must be some simple setting that is toggling off on its own between sessions.

Have also noticed that when I restart you can see the PrE8 icon blinking as the pC shuts down - as if many instances are open... ?

Cheers,

AdelaidePeter

• 5. Re: Where Has Audible Audio Gone?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

When you view the Timeline playing and the Audio Mixer (Window>Audio Mixer), do you see the Levels looking good for your Audio Track? How do the Levels for the Master Track look?

If you Import a known good WAV file, drag it to the same Audio Track, how does it play?

Just trying to pin-point where the behavior is stemming from.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Where Has Audible Audio Gone?
                    nealeh Level 5

You're quite right - 195.62 is the latest WHQL driver for the 9M notebook series. There is a beta version of 195.81 for the 9M series - you can get to this via this web page: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children