5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 8:14 PM by the_wine_snob

How To: Scratch Disk Optimization?

DRC_40 Level 1

I have 2 physical drives. My OS and programs are installed on a 150gig 10,000 RPM Velociraptor. Its a fantastic speedy drive. My secondary drive is a 500gig 7200 RPM SATA.

There are 6 different scratch disks listed in the preferences. All mine are currently defaulted to the "same as project" with the exception of Media Cache which is listed as "custom". These settings are all PE8 default locations. What would be the optimal configuration for where these disks should be writing to with my hardware?

1) Captured Video
      2) Captured Audio
      3) Video Previews
      4) Audio Previews
      5) Media Cache
      6) Disc Encoding

• 1. Re: How To: Scratch Disk Optimization?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With only two HDD's, your settings will be as good as it gets. It will also help with later housecleaning, when you go to Delete Projects.

If one had more HDD's, then splitting things a bit could improve some performance.

BTW - what is the "custom" location that is chosen?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How To: Scratch Disk Optimization?
            DRC_40 Level 1

The custom location is just documents/adobe/mediacache. Everything else is pointed to "same as project" which is documents/adobe/elements8.

Thanks for the answer.

• 3. Re: How To: Scratch Disk Optimization?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you also change the location of the Media Cache to Same as Project or maybe use the absolute Path?

In a perfect world, I'd have this configuration:

C:\ OS, programs and probably the Page File (only testing will determine the ultimate location)

D:\ Projects and ALL Scratch Disks

E:\ Media files and Assets

F:\ Exported AV files

In that perfect world, both E:\ & F:\ would be RAID arrays with a dedicated hardware controller, and in one of the 0 configurations. Now, if one wished redundancy for the Media files, then another configuration might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How To: Scratch Disk Optimization?
                DRC_40 Level 1

It does allow you to change the cache to "same as project". Why does the default install point to a separate folder though? Performance?

So, you are saying it is better to have scratch disks on a seperate physical drive?

I am not concerned over additional drives as I back up all my important media to redundant network storage anyway. Thats why I am not as concerned about having a RAID array on this machine. I do a lot of work with audio and it seems far less picky than video. I also use my D drive for all temp audio files and then back up masters to redundant network storage as needed. I just figured a 10,000 RPM SATA would perform better for video editing than a 7200 RPM SATA. I thought there may be a better way to spread the work load between the 2 drives.

• 5. Re: How To: Scratch Disk Optimization?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, PrPro CS4 has set its default Media Cache file to My Documents on C:\. Not really sure why, but it seems that PrE 8 might have followed suit.

Now, the Media Cache is an active folder, so maybe the benefit would be splitting the duties, but if one has the OS, the program and the Page File, it's pretty busy already. For my Media Cache folders, in both PrPro CS2 and Encore, I keep them with the Project. This is beneficial, even if there is a performance hit, as I migrate my Projects between the laptop and the workstation via FW-800 external HDD's, so I want EVERYTHING on those, in the Project folder hierarchy.

Good luck,

Hunt