10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 9:35 AM by the_wine_snob

Which workflow for applying audio before editing?

was2008

Here is my problem. I need to  apply three mono audio tracks to a video clip. The audio had been  registered seperately. My idea for the workflow is, to apply the three  audio tracks (same sound with different mics) to the video in the  timeline and than drop the entire video with the three applied audio  tracks to the project window. I need to handle them as a normal clip  since I wish to cut them in the preview monitor. The problem that occurs is, that I  end up with a clip with one stereo, but I need the three mono tracks in  the final sequence (the audio goes for sound editing afterwards)

• 1. Re: Which workflow for applying audio before editing?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There is only one master track in a project, so you may need to export the audio three times. Once with only track 1 enabled, then a second time with only track 2 enabled and then a 3rd time with only track 3 enabled.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Which workflow for applying audio before editing?
            was2008 Level 1

thanks, as I understand there is no way to handle a clip with more than two audio tracks applied as a clip that can be edited with the preview monitor. That's bad. In the meantime I experimented a little with multicam, at least it gives me the chance to preserve the mono tracks in a single sequence that can be handled as a clip and can be edited in the preview monitor. Thanks for your help. Maybe I need to think to go with an other NLE next time.

• 3. Re: Which workflow for applying audio before editing?
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Maybe I need to think to go with an other NLE next time.

but don't expect another NLE to output more than one master track. None do. Not FCP, not Avid, not Edius, not Vegas, or any other.

You can use multicam, or you could try with Audition or Soundbooth, but I'm not quite sure what you want to achieve. You have audio from three different mics of the same source. But ultimately you want to have one master track, right? Can you fill me in?

• 4. Re: Which workflow for applying audio before editing?
                was2008 Level 1

Probabely the description of my problem was a little

confusing. Actually my main goal is to apply three mono audio tracks

to the video clip (there are around 100 taken with Sony EX3). The video is without sound and I have the boom audio plus two mics from the the two actors, all mono. I want to handle the clips as if they were registered with the audio. So I can drop them to the preview monitor and than set the In and Out, drop to the timeline and so on. The problem is, that I want to make final audio adjustments, crossfading and so on in the end in the timeline. Because from time to time I can't use all of them. Sure, I could make these decisons before and make the adjustments for all the clips. But being sure I don't need them all I wanted toi save the time and decide for the audio after editing. The master track which I will need for final sound design is an other story, so maybe I should not have mentioned it here. The main problem to me is that I need to cut the clips before, and then make adjustments to three separate audio tracks (which I'd like to apply to the clips before editing them).

• 5. Re: Which workflow for applying audio before editing?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Since all the mics were mono mics, I'm guessing two channels on the EX3 were used for two channels and the third one a separate recording. If that is the case two channels are already represented as a single stereo channel, that you may want to break out to two mono channels and then add the third mic to the mix.

First you need to synch this third mic to your video clips. Then for the 1-st and 2-nd mic on the stereo track, you can either use balance to give emphasis to the left or right channel, or break them out to mono tracks. Then in audio mixer check that your mix is what you need it to be and then export your master track.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Which workflow for applying audio before editing?
                    was2008 Level 1

Sorry, because I am not native English speaking I mixed up with the terms. Forget about Preview monitor, my idea was, to edit the clip with the new mono tracks applied inthe SOURCE monitor as I am used to do with normal clips. The problem is I cannot drop the clip with three mono tracks to the source monitor after having apllied the audio.

• 7. Re: Which workflow for applying audio before editing?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

That is correct, you can't. You need another workflow.

• 8. Re: Which workflow for applying audio before editing?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Let me see if I have followed. You have one silent Video stream and then 3 mono Audio streams. You wish to mux/combine these into a single file so that you can Trim in the Source Monitor, or the Trim Monitor.

If so, I would set up a New Sequence with 1 Video Track and 3 mono Audio Tracks, and an appropriate Master Audio Track. Drag the Video to the Video Track, and the three Audio Clips to the 3 Audio Tracks. Do your mixing, etc., and then Export to a muxed AV file. You could use say DV-AVI for SD material, or Lagarith Lossless CODEC, but you will need to make sure that you use Export Video and Export Audio, and also enable Multiplexing. This will result in an intermediate muxed AV file. Now, do a New Sequence and then Import that intermediate file into PrPro and Dbl-click it to Open it in the Source Monitor for Trimming.

If I missed things badly, please ignore my comments.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Which workflow for applying audio before editing?
                          was2008 Level 1

Yes, you got it absolutely right. I guess the  Lagarith Lossless codec is not part of PPro CS4 and I need to buy tis codec? I will test the workflow with SD Avi first. It looks like this will be the solution to my problem.

• 10. Re: Which workflow for applying audio before editing?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Lagarith Lossless is free HERE. After an install and re-boot, you should have it available for both Import & Export.

Good luck,

Hunt