15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 12:58 AM by eliqo

2 Questions please

eliqo Level 1

hi

im using premiere pro cs3 for a while

and i have 2 problems

1 that when im having into premiere compressed files such as avi/wmv/mov etc..

its sometimes not working smooth and must be rendered

but 1 rendering of the entire video itn't enought

each effect im adding must be rendered again and again so i can watch it smoothly  and it makes me loose too much time

and the render isn't really working fast

im using windows xp and have 3.5 ghz of ram and have

Pentium(R )Dual-Core   CPU

processor e5200 2.5 ghz

when im using uncompressed mpg files it working smooth and there are no problems

but when im adding compressed files such as avi/wmv etc

its sometimes works very slow

specially when im adding HD files in format mp4 hat i've copied from my video camera

my questions are:

1. What can i do to make it work faster from the begining?

it there a special uncompressed format that i can convert to in order it will work faster without loosing quality?

2. When rendering.. exporting.. can i use external codec such as Huffyuv the loseless and fast codec? if yes how?

cheers

eliqo

• 1. Re: 2 Questions please
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Get faster hardware, meaning a better CPU, more memory, better disk setup and switch to Win7-64 Pro.

Also use better source material, MS DV AVI type2 for SD and HDV/DVCPro-HD or XDCAM for HD.

2. Like this:

4-3-2010 11-42-25.jpg

although this example shows Lagarith instead of HuffYuv.

• 2. Re: 2 Questions please
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            uncompressed mpg files

This is impossible. MPG is heavily conpressed by definition.

• 3. Re: 2 Questions please
              eliqo Level 1

hi

1.does it matter if i'll install win7 32 and not 64?

2. when u said about "better source meterial" u were speaking about exporting?

because what i asked is if in the job itself i can make it work faster with HD videos without rendering all the time (which take hours)

10x

• 4. Re: 2 Questions please
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, let's step back just a moment. Rendering is just for playback smoothness. As you point out, with your source material, the playback is not the best, so you Render to view that. Now, you have smooth playback. That is your stated workflow.

Your problem is coming in, when you add Effects. That WILL require another Render for smooth playback, BUT you can limit things to just a small portion of your Timeline for each of these operations with the WAB (Work Area Bar). Set it over the Clip that you are working on at the time, and then when you hit Enter, ONLY that small section will be Rendered. Do this only as is necessary.

As Harm points out, the actual speed of Rendering will depend on your CPU and a bit on the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their speed, etc. An OS change will not speed up your CPU, or your I/O, but might give a tiny bit of improvement as it could possibly use more RAM (do not recall your system specs. from up-thread). That would be slight, IMHO.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: 2 Questions please
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes. In the next couple of months Win7-32 will no longer run with the new version of PR, which will be 64 bit only. Second with 32 bit memory will be limited to 4 GB max and for a better editing experience you need at least 8.

Better source material means no XVid, no DivX, no iPhone, no YouTube or other crap that was never intended for editing, only watching.

If you use proper material from a video camera, there will not be a red bar and no rendering is required, apart from effects or transitions. The fact that your whole timeline needs rendering means  you either have the wrong sequence setting or you are using the wrong sourve material.

• 6. Re: 2 Questions please
                    eliqo Level 1

thank you both for the answers

well i have sony webbie mhs-pm1 camera and i have couple of movies that i've shoted

and i tried each one of those editing modes:

http://i48.tinypic.com/986e6b.jpg

so maybe im using bad editing mode?

anyway in all of them the smoothness of the playback is working like crap

(and i didn't mentioned yet about adding effects, that is much more crummy)

about limiting portions in the WAB i know and i do that, the problem is it also takes much time.

because in the begining i must render the entire video otherwise i can't watch the playback preview

on the other hand, when i took my sister's wedding DVD-R,

i took the VOB files and changed them to MPG and everything worked perfect, even when i've added effects and everything

no renderings were needed at all.

So what can i do that the playbacks

of the HD videos from the camera will work smooth in PR?

• 7. Re: 2 Questions please
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Your system is underpowered for that kind of material. Maybe if you try an AVCHD anamorphic preset, the results may be slightly better, but the Sony site is not clear about the codec. Anyway, it is not HDV. Hope that works better then up to now, but it will still be at a snail's pace.

• 8. Re: 2 Questions please
                        eliqo Level 1

and where do i use this AVCHD preset?

in the camera or in PR?

and how is that uncompressed mpg files that im adding workin' smooth and other's arent?

maybe i need to change something here?

http://i47.tinypic.com/ic93x5.jpg

thanks always

• 9. Re: 2 Questions please
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS3 does not support AVCHD, so no preset.

• 10. Re: 2 Questions please
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

In the sequence settings. And I repeat: Uncompressed MPEG does not exist. Just as a submarine can not fly at 30,000 feet.

• 11. Re: 2 Questions please
                              eliqo Level 1

well as Ann Bens said: CS3 does not support AVCHD

so Harm Millaard u r saying that doing an improvement to the os, cpu, the ram and maybe overclocking will solve the problem?

• 12. Re: 2 Questions please
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

AVCHD is a beast to edit and requires a lot of muscle from your system. Apart from that, it requires CS4. Ann was right about that. But upgrading to CS4 alone will not cut it. You need that hardware as well.

• 13. Re: 2 Questions please
                                  eliqo Level 1

But i dont know anything about CS4

i studied cs3 and accustomed it

is it much dissimilar than cs3?

• 14. Re: 2 Questions please
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

CS4 is not THAT different from CS3. Other than doing everything Export related through AME (Adobe Media Encoder, which is now a stand-alone, though can be launched from within PrPro), a difference in how one Exports a still Frame, Targeting multiple Tracks and some additional support, like VOB and AVCHD, things will not be that different.

Curt Wrigley's book, Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere Pro CS4, Adobe Press, does a great job of covering the differences.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: 2 Questions please
                                      eliqo Level 1

OK thanks

just what do u mean exactly by - Exports a still Frame, Targeting multiple Tracks?