39 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 9:53 AM by nw316

Adobe Media Encoder

nw316 Level 1

Hello,

I can't locate an Adobe Media Encoder Forum so hope I can post this here.

Recently, due to many problems with Encore, I reinstalled my CS4 bundle, including PrePro and AME.  I've re-applied the updates over and over, but I keep getting a popup saying my AME needs updating.  Then when encoding, I am getting a lot of the posturization looking effect I wasn't getting before.

I am using QT 1080i footage and encoding to the same with a VISTA 64, quad 3.2AMD, w/ 8 GB RAM, GeForce 9500T.

Don

• 1. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you do a repair install or a clean install? If the latter, did you use Clean Script CS4 2 or 3 times, rebooting between runs?

The proper procedure for reinstalls is:

1. Deactivate

2. Uninstall

3. Run Clean Script CS4 2 or 3 times, rebooting between runs

4. Install

5. Activate

6. Update

• 2. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
            nw316 Level 1

Thans, Harm,

I don't know what Clean Script is.  The tech on the phone told me dea

ctivating wouldn't be necessary as I would be re-installing on the same machine.  Can you tel

l me where Clean Script is?

• 4. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
              nw316 Level 1

Also, my current AME is Version 4.0.0.374 and the update trying to but unsuccessfully installing is 4.2.0.

• 5. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                Harm Millaard Level 7

All the more reason to reinstall.

• 6. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                  nw316 Level 1

Done the CleanScript a couple times, however when I went to the Control Panel

to uninstall I noticed AME was not listed as before.   I uninstalled PrePro and then ran the CleanScript but AME is still working on my system.Working on the rebooting now, but feeling like I'm spinning my wheels.

• 7. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Follow the sequence outlined in #1.

• 8. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                      nw316 Level 1

Uuugghh...totally unproductive day.  Not only couldn't get AME to upgrade, lost PrePro most of the day doing the deactivate/reactivate.  Still missing Encore and can't get it to install .  AMD is just as bad as I started out with.  If I download the upgrade from the program - it acts like it's trying to update, but the version remains the same.  If I download the upgrade separately and appy, it says to quit because it's already on my system, however that's not what the program says.

• 9. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

If you have completed steps 1 to 5 and then run Bridge and go to Help/Updates instead of manually downloading, does that work?

• 10. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                          nw316 Level 1

Bridge is the same as Pre or AME updater.... downloads 3 items:  Adobe Extension Manager 4.2.1; Adobe Device Control Flash 3.1; and Adobe Media Encoder 4.2.0.  About 108 MB in all.  It thens asks permisssion to install and when I click ok, it does so, but no difference in AME either immediately after rebooting, after redoing it without the firewall/malware turned off.

• 11. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Thanks for this answer, because you reminded me to add to the procedure in post #1 the following items:

Run as administrator and make sure that antivirus, anti spyware, etc. are turned off, as well as UAC and firewall. Then go through steps 1 to 6.

But if you have done all this correctly and is does not work, I have no other ideas and Technical Support may be the only solution. I have never heard anybody with this problem after a complete fresh install.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 12. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                              nw316 Level 1

Thanks, Harm for trying.  All three of these programs, Adobe Extension Manager, Device Control and Encoder are not updating though the system sees they need to be whether I am in one these three and click updates or in Bridge or Premiere.  Always the same result - downloades the new versions, installs but no change..,

One good thing is Premiere and Encore are back up with all their codecs and library content.  I will get tech support on the line.

Don

• 13. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                nw316 Level 1

Went over it all for two hours with tech support with a single call contract - did the file sharing, etc., they are completely bambuzzled too.  Hopefully a senior engineer will have time to look it over and in a couple days help me resolve things.  W/out AME updating, I have no output capability in HD.

• 14. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

This must be so frustrating and I'm sorry I can't help you solve it. It is kind of frustrating for me too that I can't help.

Two possible approaches if TS does not come up with a sensible solution shortly:

Contact Dennis Radeke (dradeke) by PM and give him your case number and ask for his intervention.

or

Do a complete fresh format of your disk, reinstall Windows and everything else.

This is drastic, but you may be editing in a shorter time than waiting for Adobe TS.

• 15. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                    nw316 Level 1

Okay, I will give Dennis R a try.  Was thinking about the

entire reinstall but really don't want to go there.

• 16. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                      nw316 Level 1

Well, Harm.  I finally reolved the issue early this morning.  Something I didn't do correctly was apply the Clean CS4.  It was bugging me - every now and then seeing an 'incompatible payload' error and I thought there must have been some remnants of the old codes in there, so I went back and re-read the instructions.  I hadn't installed the microsoft plugin first, and so when performing the Clean CS4, it was going through the motions very rapidly and I wasn't confident it did anything but had no real way to check as it seemed to do something quickly.  However, it was the issue and I'm so happy you caught it.  The techs still haven't responded and never did bring up the Clean CS4, so...  thanks to you, I am not rebuilding my entire operating system today. 

Thanks again,

Don

• 17. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Don,

Glad it worked out. Happy editing.

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 18. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                          nw316 Level 1

I certainly am happy to recommend you for points here, Harm.  Wish I would have followed your directions more closely and saved the $39 I spent on the tech support non answer!

• 19. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it sorted. Also glad that Harm got the points, not that he needed them, but he does deserve them. Good work Harm. Now that $39 was just tuition for a lesson learned. It probably went for an extra order of nan in the Official Adobe Cafeteria, Mumbai. With a very, very exceptions, there is seldom much that T/S can offer, that someone like Harm can't - S/N and licensing issue will be about the only topics, where they beat the forum and with good reason.

At least the $39 was less than the time to do a complete backup, uninstall, De-Activation of everything, reformat, and reinstall from the ground up - at least in my book.

The best is that you are up and running and editing!!!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                              nw316 Level 1

Yes, absolutely, Bill.  Thanks for your help the other too!  Re-doing VISTA would have beenthe worst of nightmares and only served to diminish my confidence using the program in the future.  Things appear to be working solidly now, however I am a little dismayed with not being able to use the cool random zoom in and out function in Encore for slideshows and the 'vobulater' issue.

Don

• 21. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Don,

I am a firm believer in not stripping out my OS, unless I am backed into a corner. Others seem to love doing it monthly. Just not my thing.

As for the Random Pan & Zoom, many have asked for it. The Feature Request Form is the way to do so. Photoshop Elements has that feature and I believe that one can do it in PrE 8 if they create the SlideShow from the Organizer (kinda' like Bridge, but with differences).

Now for some personal comments: I am NOT a fan of the Encore SlideShow feature. I find it to be rudimentary at best, and from years of reading of others' issues on the Encore forum, suspect that it might be a bit "buggy" too. I also treat each image as unique, but then I come from a long career in still photography. I have never wanted anything "random" in my Pans or Zooms, and only use but a very few Transitions, so I do not want the full "trickbag" of Transitions being dumped onto my Project. I use Keyframing of Motion>Scale and Motion>Position to do ALL of my Pans & Zooms, and treat every image individually. I have never seen AI that could decide exactly how I'd want to do it for an image, though it might exist. "Dave, I'm afraid that I cannot do that... " 2001 A Space Odyssey, HAL9000, voiced by Douglas Rain.

If you do a lot of SlideShows, you might want to look into ProShow Gold, or their Producer. I believe that both offer a lot of automation, or semi-automation with SlideShow creation. I do mine in PrPro (never in Encore), but then I am a control freak... I also like to Keyframe, though it can take a few hours with say 2000 still images. Still, I can get exactly what I want, and what each image "tells me," that it requires.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                  nw316 Level 1

I hear you Bil as far as the uniqueness of every image.  But in building a small behind the scenes video where most of the emphasis was making the video, the pan & zoom in Encore was a bit nice time wise, until the whole 'vobulater' issue came up.  I am going to do as you and stick to PrPro for it now.  I've never read up on it, but is there a way to save motions?

• 23. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                    is there a way to save motions?

Close. First, you will want to plan things a bit first. The reason for that will become apparent in a moment.

First, I'd set the Edit>Preferences>General>Still Image Duration to be something that should work fine for all still images. The intended pacing of your SlideShow will be your guide. Next, decide if you would like the Default Transition applied to each image. If so, choose your Transition, and make it the default. Next, and you will need to check out your version of PrPro, and also my memory, but you should be able to Import all of your stills, and in the Project Panel select them all. Then, Rt-click on those and choose to add as Sequence with Default Transition. I do not think that you have to do Numbered Sequence as of CS3, or CS4. Again, please check me out on this, as it is not something that I use, and I also do not have CS4.

Now, everything is in your Timeline with the exact same Duration (note: in earlier versions, this had to be done, prior to Import, but CS4 allows you to alter the Duration in the Project Panel). Apply keyframes to the fixed Effects, Motion>Scale (Zoom) and Motion>Position (Pan) to the first image. To use those settings, Rt-click on that still image, and choose Copy. Now, Select (either via the cursor and a "lasso," or by ****-clicking on the ones you want) all others (or select others), and then Rt-click and choose Paste Attributes - Poof! Those Keyframes are applied.

Issues: if you have varied Durations, then things might not work as you intend, as the Keyframes might not have enough Timeline to do their "thing." Now, they are still there, but if the Duration is shorter, do not all come into play. If a longer Duration, then there will be a "hold" at the end. Next, with Transitions in place, it is a bit tougher to "see" what you're doing in the area of the Transition, and will get really tough with many Transitions. For this reason, I seldom add even my favs: Dip-to-Black and Cross-Dissolve. Instead, I will do all of my Keyframing first, and then use the PageUp/PageDn keys, with a Ctrl+D to apply my Default Transition between each still.

I do hear you on the need with more simple SlideShows, to do some of the "stuff" at least semi-automatically. I've had a few, where I wanted to throw up my hands, but tried to keep to my credo - each image... Well, it gives me something to do, before I die. Because of that, I have been looking at ProShow Producer, and only have to justify how many such SlideShows I might need to produce.

Hunt

• 24. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                      nw316 Level 1

I was halfway there with you regarding the preferences duration, fixed motion scale opacity key frames and then copy paste.  I also use the speed scale to then vary durations withthe key frames applied.  Another trick I do to randomize the pan zoom motions is lay out the stills in 6 different tracks, i.e. the first, 6th, 12th, 18th image in track 1, the 2nd, 7th, 13th & 19th in track 2, and so on.  Then when I create a motion I like in my first still, it's easy to lasso all on that track and copy/paste it to the rest in that track.  Vary the motion for the 2nd track, apply and so on up the stack to the 6th track.  I can then save the sequence and pull it up for other slideshows.

But I've never used the default transition or the page up/down - definetely need to learn that!  Also, do you have a way to un-paste an effect in multiple clips?

• 25. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                        nw316 Level 1

(I hear you also about something to do until you die - this stuff really absorbs me...)

• 26. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, removal of Effects in multiple Clips. I cannot think of a way to do this. If you notice, when you have multiple Clips Selected, you have zero in the Effects Control Panel. I think that from there, you only have one choice - by hand. OTOH, maybe someone will drop by and teach me something new and wonderful. As I am still on PrPro 2.0, I have to admit that I do get to learn things about CS4 almost daily, even though I have done a great deal of reading on that version, and have even read through most of CiaB PrPro CS4, though I cannot do the exercises.

Good luck, and hope to find that I am just unaware of some great trick.

Hunt

• 27. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                                            1. Select clips
                                                            2. Right-click one of the selected clips
                                                            3. Choose Remove Effects...

-Jeff

• 28. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                              nw316 Level 1

Whoa, cool, thanks Jeff!  Though

t there must have been a way all these years.

• 29. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                shooternz Level 6

There hasnt been.   It came in the latest version. (CS4) so you missed nothing.

• 30. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Thank you. Guess that I have not gotten far enough into CiaB PrPro CS4, as I am sure that Curt covers that.

Greatly appreciated. Now I just need to imprint that into my feeble mind.

Hunt

• 31. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                    nw316 Level 1

Say Bill, I am partial to the dip to black and cross dissoles to for slideshows especially, but you wrote:

"...I will do all of my Keyframing first, and then  use the PageUp/PageDn keys, with a Ctrl+D to apply my Default Transition  between each still."

I really appreciate the set as Default transition and CNTRL D tip.  I can't advance with the page up/down keys.  Is there something else to activate these?

Don

• 32. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Reset your keyboard preferences to default.

• 33. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

One other thought: if you have a laptop, you might also need to hold down a Function key. That is how it is on my laptop. When I have been at it on the laptop, and move to the workstation, I keep fumbling for the Function key... duh!

Think that your keyboard has just been customized, as Harm mentions.

Let us know how it goes, and remember to make sure that you Target the proper Video Track first, and give Focus to the Timeline, or those keys will not work correctly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 34. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                          nw316 Level 1

Okay, it was the Numbers lock I needed to turn off.  Something else though, I don't see an 'Add to Sequence with default transition' you mentioned upon rt clicking the image in the project panel.  I do have default transition duration settings for video and audio in the preferences.

• 35. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Don,

To insert default transitions, just go to the beginning of your timeline, press PG-DN and then CTRL-D to insert the default transition. Go to the next spot by pressing PG-DN, repeat CTRL-D, etc. It is a lot of keypresses, but you can easily manage over 30 transitions per minute work.

• 36. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

In your Effects Panel, twirl open the Video Transitions, and then Rt-click the one that you want to set as Default. There, choose Set As Default, or similar syntax. It's icon will change.

Hope that helps, and thanks for reporting on Num Lock,

Hunt

• 37. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                                nw316 Level 1

I got this part, Bill.  Vert handy, too, thanks. But you also mentioned a Adding to Sequence with default trasition I'd like to make use of, if it's available.  Perhaps it's not yet.

• 38. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Don,

If you select multiple clips in the project panel and then twirl open the tiny menu in the upper right hand corner, there is an option: 'Automate to sequence'. If you select that, you can set default audio and video transitions for the duration you like. When placed on the timeline, all transitions are automatically added.

• 39. Re: Adobe Media Encoder
                                                                                    nw316 Level 1

Awesome, thanks again,Harm.