6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 10:34 PM by Harry Kunz

Import Runtime

Harry Kunz Level 4

What do i specify in the "Source" field? Must it be the FLA file of the SWF file i'm importing? Or can it be left blank?

• 1. Re: Import Runtime
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the source field of what?

• 2. Re: Import Runtime
            Harry Kunz Level 4

What should i place in the Source section? Should i use "FileToImport.fla" since i'm importing FileToImport.swf? Or is it not needed then why should it be there as option?

SourceField.GIF

• 3. Re: Import Runtime

yes, that should be the fla that publishes the swf listed in your url field.  you use that if you want to update your imported item before publishing.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Import Runtime
                Harry Kunz Level 4

Thanks! But if i don't want to update the SWF, will it suffice having just the SWF without any Source? I'm asking about this because i was running into weird behaviors when the MovieClip instance with this import linkage was placed on the stage. I was not able to access methods of another movieclip on stage extending from a class. But when i remoeved the instance with the import, everything worked fine. Does this problem sound familiar?

• 5. Re: Import Runtime

you don't need the source.

i can't see how an imported object will interfere with a class in the importing swf unless there's a class name conflict.  as2 (as contrasted with as3) doesn't have a way to keep same named classes sandboxed.

• 6. Re: Import Runtime
                    Harry Kunz Level 4

I was able to reproduce the problem. I have 2 clips on stage on separate layers, one with the runtime import and a rectangle with a class. It traces "ViewManDumb" from its constructor. Now if you move the layer with the runtime import above the rectangle's layer, it won't get traced. Is that a bug? What is the explanation for that? I have a small zip file in www.hkunz.com/Problem.zip. Try compile Problem.fla, the other fla is the imported but no need to look at it.

PS: How come i can't attach files anymore to threads?