2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 12:28 PM by thundercat636

Accessing mouse x & y in a loaded movieclip

thundercat636

Hi,

I have a movieclip that gets loaded into another container.  The movieclip reads the mouse x & y position to resize a circle according to the mouse position - it works fine on its own, but when the movieclip is loaded into a container I think the actionscript is reading the container's x & y, not from the mc itself.

The code I'm using to read the mouse x & y is:

d = Math.sqrt(Math.abs(_root._xmouse-this._x)*Math.abs(_root._xmouse-this._x)+Math.abs(_root. _ymouse-this._y)*Math.abs(_root._ymouse-this._y));

It works out the distance of the mouse from the central point (centre of the circle movieclip.)

Like I say, it works fine on its own, but when in another container the _root is causing the x & y to be displaced.  I've tried _lockroot, but that stops other stuff working properly in the movieclip (drag and drop.)

Is there another way I can directly access the x & y properties of the main movieclip without using _root?

• 1. Re: Accessing mouse x & y in a loaded movieclip
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not sure what the scenario is as far as where that code is relative to where the objects are, but when you place the mc inside a container, its _x and _y values are relative to the container at that point.  So you probably either need to change from using the _root.xmouse to using the container._xmouse (etc), or make use of the localToGlobal() method to translate this._x to _root relative _x.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Accessing mouse x & y in a loaded movieclip
            thundercat636 Level 1

Thanks Ned - after reading your reply I had another look at the line and the relativity of it all (if that makes sense?) and I just removed the _root. So instead of referring to _root._xmouse I just use _xmouse on its own instead - it works fine now.

Thanks for your help!