9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 7:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Resizing resolution

Mika Järvinen Level 1

Hey!

Is it possible to resize video footage in Pre8 for example from 1920x1080 to 1920x818? It makes the footage look more panorama-like when upper and lower parts are "cut" away. It doesnt have to be exact that resolution but I just wonder how it is done.

Thanks again!

-Mika

pic1.jpg

• 1. Re: Resizing resolution
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You would want to use the Effect>Crop for this, otherwise you will get major distortions. You can use Crop for just the top, or the bottom, or both. If you then need to reposition the footage in the Frame Size, you will then want to use the fixed Effect>Motion>Position.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Resizing resolution
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This won't, of course, actually change the proportions of your video. It will still be 16:9 video -- you'll just have black letterboxing bars above and below so the picture will seem wider and not as tall.

Is that really the effect you're looking for?

• 3. Re: Resizing resolution
              Mika Järvinen Level 1

Thanks again solving these questions of mine!

Well, that letterboxing isn´t actually what I am looking for. But close. I am looking a way to get the final videos resolution changed so that the image is not strechened. Like in the screen capture image I attached. I guess there is no way actually resizing the video with Pre8, atleast without stretching the video, But tip of yours can do the job enough well for me.

Thanks again!

Mika

• 4. Re: Resizing resolution
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The two issues that come into play, should one want the actual Frame Size to be say a 2.85:1 Aspect Ratio is first the Project Preset, and then the Export/play of the resulting file.

One could set up a Desktop (Custom) Project Preset in PrPro, to desired dimensions. Then, Import the footage and let the Frame Size basically do the "Crop," but if the file is then Exported to BD, or DVD-Video, there will be differences. Obviously in PrE, one does not have the Desktop Preset, so they are relegated to the standard Aspect Ratios.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Resizing resolution
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mika,

Now if you are looking to get PrE to read and interpret footage that it is not displaying properly, then you will want to use Interpret Footage to tell PrE what the Aspect Ratio should be.

The Aspect Ratio and the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) are determined by flags in the AV file's header. Sometimes, the editing program cannot read these flags properly, and one must "force" it to use what was intended.

Now, with your footage, are the subjects squeezed horizontally?

It also might be useful to run one of these files through the great, free utility, G-Spot, to see what it tells us about the Aspect Ratio and also the PAR. Also, please let us know what camera (make and model) you are using to record these files, plus how you are getting them into PrE. There might be a setting there, to save having to use Interpret Footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Resizing resolution
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, Hunt. Premiere Elements is not that versatile.

You can not create a custom frame size in this program. You're stuck with the standard sizes.

To work with a custom size and shape, you'll likely need to upgrade to Pro.

• 7. Re: Resizing resolution
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Yes, that is why I had recommended the Crop Effect. PrE only has a single set of Presets, and there are no custom settings.

Based on the OP's reply, I am now wondering if they really want to end up with something beyond 16:9, or maybe just correct footage TO 16:9.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Resizing resolution
                        Mika Järvinen Level 1

Bill and Steve,

This is a third question of mine when the answer seems to be Pr Pro.

I am very convinced now to going that direction when the new CS5 comes out. Well, it´s gonna take lots of cash because I need to update this 4 year old computer also. Actually it has been a blessing that I can´t edit real Full HD (as it seems to be 1080i with 1.333 aspect ratio which needs to be "converted" back to 1080p) with Pre8. 720p is now enough.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Mika

ps. I was so very happy to notice that Pre8 really can use Avids free DNxHD codec to make my Canon 7D:s beautiful, but very heavy footage to more editable format. So what I do is I convert Canons footage with MPEGstreamclip using DNxHD codec to 10bit 1080p. That footage I take to a Pre8:s timeline and let the program do first rendering to 720p with maximum bith depth. It really preserves nicely that sweet footage what that camera can produce. No crashes and quite smooth playback when editing!

• 9. Re: Resizing resolution
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mika,

Yes, PrPro has some wonderful adaptability, and control. The price is that one does more by hand, but for me, that is not bad, 'cause I'm a control freak.

One caveat is that PrE actually works better with more "consumer" formats/CODEC's, than its big-brother. PrE got AVCHD and VOB Importing capabilities before PrPro did. I got PrE to supplement PrPro with some of those formats. In that role, it has served me well, and has been extremely useful. It ingests footage that PrPro will not touch, it can edit it well, and then Export to DV-AVI Type II's, which I finish up in Pro. I would not swap my Pro for anything, because with DV-AVI II's, it works perfectly for me. I also would not trade in PrE, because it allows me to use more formats in Pro, with just a couple of steps. It's really not unlike some of my artwork, which starts in Illustrator, but goes through Photoshop, prior to being Imported into PrPro. The programs are just tools.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I also use CyberLink's PowerDirector, and Magix MovieEdit Pro for specialized ingesting tasks. Just tools...