11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2008 4:46 AM by Newsgroup_User

Transfering site file information

pcgs Level 1
      My computer's logic board died recently so I had to buy a new computer. I figured that when I installed everything in my new system I would just install CS3 from scratch. I used CS2 on my old computer. Now that I have installed CS3 with DW, I see that I need to recreate the site files, with all the FTP stuff. Wondering if I can go back to my old hard drive (which I have running in a firewire enclosure) and dig up the preferences and install them so I don't have to re-establish all my sites and their settings. Don't get me wrong, I have all the site files (html pages, images, CSS and all that). I just want to see my sites listed in the window like they used to be. Is there a way to do that. If so what files do I grab from my old HD and where do they go? I don't want to mess up my registration of CS3 or anything. Thanks.

MBP17 2.6GHz/4GB RAM/MacOS 10.5.1
        • 1. Re: Transfering site file information
          Level 7

> and dig up the preferences

Is it windows?
          The site definitions are stored in the windows Registry, not a preference
          file.
          If it's not the boot drive, you would have to get and run a Registry editor
          that can load up a registry file from a non-boot drive then export the
          registry keys for the site definitions.

Can you put the drive in some box and boot from it?
          If yes, then open dw, and use dw menu-->Site-->Manage Sites and select a
          site and use the Export button to create .ste files. repeat for all sites.
          Move the .ste files to the new compter. You'll have to edit the imported
          site def's for any change in folder location, such as a different User name.
          Or, google for MM Exporter, a free third party utility.

If can't get that hd as a boot drive, I found an older post about this i had
          made.

This registry editor:
          http://www.torchsoft.com/index.html
          allows loading in the registry of a non-boot drive.
          there may be other software that does this also.

The paths to the keys are probably different than in the old post...
          this google search may give the key location.
          http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=dreamweaver
          +8+registry+key+site+definition&safe=off

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Transfering site file information
            pcgs Level 1
            Not Windows, Mac running Leopard

MacBook Pro 17
            2.6GHz
            4GB RAM
            MacOS 10.5.1

My original hard drive is in a Firewire enclosure that runs just fine via either 400 or 800.
            I can boot from it but want to leave the old OS behind. I've transfered most my data and preferences that I needed. But not my DW stuff.
            • 3. Re: Transfering site file information
              Level 7

> MacBook Pro 17
              > 2.6GHz
              > 4GB RAM
              > MacOS 10.5.1

okay- different location and am fairly sure you can pull up the file okay.
              sorry but tired now. If no one else takes a stab at this will try to find it
              and research the answer after waking-

--
              Alan
              Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 4. Re: Transfering site file information
                Level 7
                On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 01:24:03 -0500, Alan
                <please_dont_mail_me@example.com> wrote:

>
                >
                >> MacBook Pro 17
                >> 2.6GHz
                >> 4GB RAM
                >> MacOS 10.5.1
                >
                >okay- different location and am fairly sure you can pull up the file okay.
                >sorry but tired now. If no one else takes a stab at this will try to find it
                >and research the answer after waking-

I don't have a mac myself - but someone mestioned it recently

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/macromedia.dreamweaver/search?hl=en&group=macromedia.drea mweaver&q=%2BMac+site+definitions&qt_g=Search+this+group
                --

~Malcolm N....
                ~
                • 5. Re: Transfering site file information
                  pcgs Level 1
                  Thanks,

I read a few of the posts and see there is a bit of misinformation.
                  Will keep looking until I find something that rings true. Thanks.

Example:

>The site definitions are stored in a plain-text file called "Site Prefs",
                  >which will be located at this path:
                  >/HardDrive/Users/username/Application Support/Macromedia/Common/DreamweaverVersionNumber/Sites/Site Prefs

Close, but not up to date information even though this post was dated 02/05/08

• 6. Re: Transfering site file information
                    Level 7
                    There is no misinformation. The site definitions are absolutely stored in
                    the Windows Registry.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    ==================
                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    ==================

"pcgs" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:foktst$psf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > I read a few of the posts and see there is a bit of misinformation.
                    > Will keep looking until I find something that rings true. Thanks.
                    >
                    > Example:
                    >
                    > >The site definitions are stored in a plain-text file called "Site Prefs",
                    > >which will be located at this path:
                    > >/HardDrive/Users/username/Application
                    > Support/Macromedia/Common/DreamweaverVersionNumber/Sites/Site Prefs
                    >
                    > Close, but not up to date information even though this post was dated
                    > 02/05/08
                    >
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: Transfering site file information
                      Level 7
                      On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:28:15 -0500, "Murray *ACE*"
                      <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:

>There is no misinformation. The site definitions are absolutely stored in
                      >the Windows Registry.

According to the original post, the user is on a Mac:

> MBP17 2.6GHz/4GB RAM/MacOS 10.5.1

Gary
                      • 8. Re: Transfering site file information
                        Level 7
                        Then the path given in the post to which I responded was completely
                        inappropriate.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        ==================

"Gary White" <reply@newsgroup.please> wrote in message
                        news:aa5tq3t0f1s80gtsqglmdr007im8ana28i@4ax.com...
                        > On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:28:15 -0500, "Murray *ACE*"
                        > <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:
                        >
                        >>There is no misinformation. The site definitions are absolutely stored in
                        >>the Windows Registry.
                        >
                        > According to the original post, the user is on a Mac:
                        >
                        >> MBP17 2.6GHz/4GB RAM/MacOS 10.5.1
                        >
                        >
                        > Gary

• 9. Re: Transfering site file information
                          Level 7
                          Actually, this:
                          /HardDrive/Users/username/Application
                          Support/Macromedia/Common/DreamweaverVersionNumber/Sites/Site Prefs
                          Was the path I had provided in that earlier discussion, but I see I left
                          "Library" out of the path.

The correct path is
                          /HardDrive/Users/username/Library/Application
                          Support/Macromedia/Common/DreamweaverVersionNumber/Sites/Site Prefs

Naturally, the user has to translate HardDrive to their actual hard drive
                          name, username to their actual username, and DreamweaverVersionNumber to the
                          actual DW version number they are using.
                          --
                          Sonjay

On 2/9/08 2:11 PM, "pcgs" wrote:

> Thanks,
                          >
                          > I read a few of the posts and see there is a bit of misinformation.
                          > Will keep looking until I find something that rings true. Thanks.
                          >
                          > Example:
                          >
                          >> The site definitions are stored in a plain-text file called "Site Prefs",
                          >> which will be located at this path:
                          >> /HardDrive/Users/username/Application
                          >
                          > Close, but not up to date information even though this post was dated
                          > 02/05/08
                          >
                          >
                          >

• 10. Re: Transfering site file information
                            pcgs Level 1
                            quote:

The correct path is
                            > /HardDrive/Users/username/Library/Application

For the record, there is no such path on the Mac OS 10.5.x but you were close. Adobe owns Dreamweaver that is the first clue that Macromedia is probably no longer going to be a directory in the path for Dreamweaver.

There is an "Adobe" directory in the Application Support. Here is what I found:

/HardDrive/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/9/Sites/Site Prefs
                            Note to anyone reading this thread who comes after: when you arrive at the "Adobe" directory you will also see a "Dreamweaver 9" folder. Don't go there. You want the "Common" folder. The directory named "9" is because I am using CS3 version of Dreamweaver.

Thanks Sonjay! Your path may not have been perfect but it got me within striking distance. Now I can grab my old "Site Prefs" and replace it.

• 11. Re: Transfering site file information
                              Level 7
                              Well, doh! is all I can say. I've been providing that path for a while now
                              in response to that question, and indeed it used to be correct. My system
                              (which has been upgraded over the years) still has the old Macromedia
                              folder, in addition to the new Adobe folder -- so when I look in my
                              Application Support folder, there's the Macromedia folder, with the old Site
                              Prefs stuff in it, and I never noticed that the Adobe folder now contains
                              the current Site Prefs.

Sorry for the confusion. It's long past time for me to update my stock
                              answer, huh?

--
                              Sonjay

On 2/10/08 12:05 PM, "pcgs" wrote:

>
                              quote:

The correct path is
                              >> /HardDrive/Users/username/Library/Application
                              >> Support/Macromedia/Common/DreamweaverVersionNumber/Sites/Site Prefs
                              >

>
                              > For the record, there is no such path on the Mac OS 10.5.x but you were
                              > close.
                              > Adobe owns Dreamweaver that is the first clue that Macromedia is probably no
                              > longer going to be a directory in the path for Dreamweaver.
                              >
                              > There is an "Adobe" directory in the Application Support. Here is what I
                              > found:
                              >
                              > /HardDrive/Users/username/Library/Application
                              > Support/Adobe/Common/9/Sites/Site Prefs
                              > Note to anyone reading this thread who comes after: when you arrive at the
                              > "Adobe" directory you will also see a "Dreamweaver 9" folder. Don't go there.
                              > You want the "Common" folder. The directory named "9" is because I am using
                              > CS3
                              > version of Dreamweaver.
                              >
                              > Thanks Sonjay! Your path may not have been perfect but it got me within
                              > striking distance. Now I can grab my old "Site Prefs" and replace it.
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >