7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 2:37 PM by Todd_Kopriva

File rendered in AE (is huge)

JordanNeil

Newbie here.

So I animated a still photo in AE CS4, the animated image is 4 seconds, and the file is over 2GB and the playback with Quicktime is horrid, my whole computer starts to freak out as well. (I'm on a MBP 4 GB RAM) What do I need to do in order for the file not to be so huge and actually usable?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: File rendered in AE (is huge)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Usable for what? You have to be more specific. Different uses require different outputs and settings. there is no magic "one for all" formula.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: File rendered in AE (is huge)
            JordanNeil Level 1

Sorry, I plan on using a few still animations within a short 4 minute 1280 x 720 documentary that I will make in Premiere Pro. I've got the video edited but would like to use these animated stills.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: File rendered in AE (is huge)
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mylenium is, as usual, correct.

I will try to answer your question without knowing the specifics.

The file you rendered is a lossless file. Meaning 0 compression. Ideal for sending files out of AE. That is what you should do. My friend Dave LaRonde at CreativeCOW.net explains why:

"Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science."

The data rate in a lossless file, such as the one you created is too high for your computer to handle. Nothing wrong with your RAM or your processor; it's the hard drive that can't keep up. It just cannot throw that much data out into your system at once. The only way to play back a lossless file like that is to have a fast RAID setup.

Now, as to how you "should" output your file, that really depends on how you're planning to show it. Most professionals render out an uncompressed file and use another compressor like Dave mentioned to do the final compression. Since you're only doing a 4 second animation, I'm guessing it's part of a larger project. Just import that file into your editing program and everything should be fine.

Ah, you responded while I was writing my response...but no matter; everything I said still stands.

Message was edited by: Szalam

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: File rendered in AE (is huge)
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

All that Michael said... In your case the usual tried method of using the Animation or PNG Quicktime CoDecs should do just fine. to get your stuff from AE to Premiere. For viewing on the desktop, simply create a second version e.g. using H.264 or Windows Media, which can be easily done by just adding anotehr output module to the same render queue item (Composition --> Add Output Module).

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: File rendered in AE (is huge)
                  JordanNeil Level 1

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Also, next time I ask what might be a question anyone can answer I'll be sure to be more specific.

And sorry if it was an idiotic question, I'm getting more and more into working with AE as before I only work with photographs, so I've got a lot of those type of questions.

(just read what you said Mylenium)

Thanks again.

Jordan

• 6. Re: File rendered in AE (is huge)
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    JordanNeil : Also, next time I ask what might be a question anyone can answer I'll be sure to be more specific.

It can be hard when you're just starting out to know what vocabulary to use and what information is needed for us to answer your question. But the more information you can give about your question or issue, the better answer we can give.

Have you seen this page? Todd Kopriva, Adobe's After Effects Help Guru (or whatever his title is), has perused the web and found a bunch of great (and free!) resources for starting out in AE.

• 7. Re: File rendered in AE (is huge)
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

In addition to the good advice that you've already been given, here's a link to a section of Ater Effects Help that goes deeper into encoding and compression options:

"Encoding and compression options for movies"

Be sure to read this page---it's more important than you might think:

"Planning your work"