1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 2:49 PM by jendehaan

Several questions from an After Effects vet trying to learn Flash:

speed bump

I'm running the demo version of CS4 on a G5 running leopard. I don't know anything about coding or Flash, but do know a lot about other animation apps (Cinema 4D, SoftImage 3D, StrataStudio, After Effects, etc.)

• I've created a box that translates along the x-axis and rotates 180 degrees, but when I select the timeline and click over to the motion editor, it says, "To edit properties, select a tween span (already did) in the timeline or a tweened object in the document." (???)

• I'm trying to access the new motion editor in the timeline in Flash CS4 - I've viewed Adobe's site and 'new features' tutorial - but when I select a series of frames in the timeline and click over to motion editor, it says, "To edit properties, select a tween span in the timeline or a tweened object in the document." ???

• Alpha keyframe (for fading in/out)... the Adobe tutorial says to: "select your image and look over in the Properties pane. You should see the Style drop-down inside the Color Effect category: - yet I do see such an option in the Properties window... ???
      •Anyone created anything akin to a motion blur effect or gaussian/fast blur effect - and are they keyframe-able? I want to try to have something all out of focus and little contrast/light and then 'come into focus' with the aforementioned characteristics keyframed. Possible?...
      I'm just now reviewing the whole 'Flash CS4 - AIR' thing - and have seen adds pop up on my browser window w/o any background - which is a cool effect, but since all of my animations/content from Flash CS4 will be to .swf files working within Captivate, how do I 'delete' the background and create similar, minus the alpha .swfs?

Proactive thanks for any hints/help/links/suggestions...

-Bump

• 1. Re: Several questions from an After Effects vet trying to learn Flash:
          jendehaan Level 4

• I've created a box that translates along the x-axis and rotates 180 degrees, but when I select the timeline and click over to the motion editor, it says, "To edit properties, select a tween span (already did) in the timeline or a tweened object in the document." (???)

Are you selecting a classic tween or perhaps have more than one thing selected?  You need to select a single new motion tween for the Motion Editor to become active.

• I'm trying to access the new motion editor in the timeline in Flash CS4 - I've viewed Adobe's site and 'new features' tutorial - but when I select a series of frames in the timeline and click over to motion editor, it says, "To edit properties, select a tween span in the timeline or a tweened object in the document." ???

Same as above. Make sure you have one new (blue, no arrow) tween span or tween instance selected at the time.
          • Alpha keyframe (for fading in/out)... the Adobe tutorial says to: "select your image and look over in the Properties pane. You should see the Style drop-down inside the Color Effect category: - yet I do see such an option in the Properties window... ???
          Make sure that you have a movie clip or graphic instance selected. The Property inspector is context sensitive, so if you have a frame selected or an instance type that does not support color effects you will not see that section in the inspector.
          •Anyone created anything akin to a motion blur effect or gaussian/fast blur effect - and are they keyframe-able? I want to try to have something all out of focus and little contrast/light and then 'come into focus' with the aforementioned characteristics keyframed. Possible?...
          Yes, you can create this kind of effect in Flash. You can play with the blur and distance properties, and apply eases to these properties. You'll want to play with copying and pasting curves from and to properties within the motion editor.  Same with having things come into focus (you can keyframe the blur amt or use an ease). Will see if I can come up with an example and put it on the ol blog...