26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 3:32 AM by Michelmnr

HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported

state_pack Level 1

I am using Premiere Pro CS4.  I had it installed Windows XP, and my project was working fine.  Premiere read .dv files as well as others, but the OS was getting old so I upgraded to Windows 7.   Now I load the same project and Premiere does not recognize the .dv files.  I get the error that the .dv file format is not supported.  I thought this was supposed to be supported by premiere?  Do I need to download a codec or change settings, or will I have to convert all of the .dv files to another format?  If so, this will take a long time because I have lots of file clips in this project.  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If you rename these files to .DOC, can you open them with Word? And if you rename them to .XLS, can you open them with Excel?

Do not use .DV files, use MS DV AVI type2 files. Check what codec is used inside those DV files with G-Spot and then use a suitable converter if they are not MS DV AVI type2.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
            Phil Griffith Level 2

if the .dv files worked before with xp and now they don't, you probably had a dv codec on your xp os. You might be able to find codec out there again, but I would follow Harm's suggestion to convert to avi type 2 files. Probably would be better off.

• 3. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
              state_pack Level 1

I just checked the format of the .dv files on my computer with G-Spot.  They are "Raw DV - SMPTE 314M(.DV)"

Another problem, Premiere will also not read my .MP4 files.

I have Xilisoft Video Converter but it does not convert to MS DV AVI type2 files.

Is there a way to fix this on Premiere, because all of these did work previously on XP and VLC player will play the files.  Or do I have to convert everything to another format?

If I have to convert them all, what is a good converter?  Are there any free ones?  thanks.

• 4. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                state_pack Level 1

I changed the extensions to .doc and .xls and they were not able to open in word.  Excel kind of opened it, it all just looked like junk and random characters.

• 5. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

That might be an indication that they are raw Excel worksheets, created with a random number generator and these do not edit easily. VLC is another matter, that only plays a file and does not edit them. Where did you get these files, from what video camera and how did you capture them under XP? Use Google to find a suitable converter to transform them to MS DV AVI type2.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Even with a good converter, if the necessary CODEC is not now installed, you will likely have issues. What you will need to do is locate the CODEC's that you once had, but are now missing. With some versions of Vista, MS stopped including their own CODEC's in the installations. Do not know how it is with Win7. Still, you are likely to have to look on the Internet (unless you saved all of your CODEC installer files to say a download folder, that was saved from your old machine/OS installation) and get the necessary and now missing CODEC's. One caution: do NOT fall for the lure of any CODEC "pack." These are usually trouble somewhere. Go to the source, where possible, even if you have to pay for them - they WILL be better.

Now, with your MP4's, it is very likely that you no longer have an H.264 CODEC (usually what's inside the MP4 wrapper). There are three popular ones: Apple's, Lead's and MainConcept's. The Apple version is free and should install along with their QuickTime Player. If you do not wish to have that, you can probably get the H.264 from Apple's site. Now, some users feel that the Lead, or the MainConcept are better, and their results with them when Exporting support that feeling.

Good luck, and happy CODEC hunting,

Hunt

• 7. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an ARTICLE, that will give you some background on the file format "wrappers." It will also tell you how to "peek" inside the wrappers to see what is really inside them.

This ARTICLE will get you started with the concept of CODEC's, basically the "building blocks" of AV files.

Hope that these help and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                        state_pack Level 1

Thanks for all of the help.  I already basically understood what a codec was, although those articles did make it more clear.  I am still not quite sure how Premiere choses what codecs it will read.  I believe it has some codecs included with it.  I suppose the files I am trying to work with use other codecs.  What I am not sure of is how other programs can play these files and not premiere.  If these programs play the files, then that should mean the codecs are installed, so I dont see why premiere cant read them.

None the less, I think my problem lies in the fact that I cannot find good codec installers for Windows 7.  I am going to try to dual boot my computer for the time and put CS4 back on the XP version where I think I can find the codecs that I need. 

The only other option I can think of is to convert the files to formats that work with my Premiere on Windows 7.  If the MS AVI codec will work for sure, then does anyone know a good converter I can use, because this would work best.

Last, not that premiere is on windows 7, the page up and page down buttons do not advance the timeline to the next cut, and the ctrl+D combo does

not insert the default transition.  Does anyone know what to do to fix these small problems?

Thanks again for all the help.

• 9. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, as editing is highly different than playback, or encoding, it is a matter of the particular CODEC. Yes, PrPro does have certain CODEC's included, and will also work well with many others. The difference is in the CODEC itself.

Now, some NLE's can use different CODEC's, even for editing. CyberLink's PowerDirector will work with DivX pretty well, but PrPro does not like them, except for Export/Encoding.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Last, not that premiere is on windows 7, the page up and page down buttons do not advance the timeline to the next cut, and the ctrl+D combo does

not insert the default transition.  Does anyone know what to do to fix these small problems?

This might well indicate that you have an issue with your installation of PrPro. I would think about a Repair Installation of the program. The OS should not have any role in this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                              1. Do not install any codec packs.
                              2. AFAIK, Premiere does not now, nor has it ever, imported/edited/exported raw .dv files without 3rd-party help.
                              3. If you want to convert your raw .dv files into something usable in Pr like Type 2 DV AVI files, then check out a nifty little program called DVMP Pro.  It's not free, but it sure is useful.
                              4. PgUp, PgDn and Ctrl+D will not work like you expect unless the track containing the involved clips is targeted.

-Jeff

• 12. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Thanks for that last comment. I had forgotten to mention the Targeted Track.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 13. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                  state_pack Level 1

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.

I have thinks working well enough for now.  Here is what I did:

Problem:  Premiere Pro will not read .dv files on Windows 7

Reason:  As you said, it seems this was the raw format and not compatible with Premiere on any OS, I think I just used to have a codec for it on XP but could not find one for Windows 7.

Solution: I downloaded and installed "Leawo Free AVI Converter" from www.download.com.  This is a simple to use free converter.  I converted all the files to the "AVI With DV codec(*.avi) which was a DV type 2 file you all suggested.  Premiere reads the resulting files just fine.  Thanks.

Problem:  page down and page up were not moving to next cut/break/transition

Reason:  I did not have the active video track selected, as you all pointed out.

Solution:  I selected the active video and audio tracks and it works like a charm.

Thank you all very much for dealing and helping me solve these issues. 

• 15. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news! Thanks for reporting.

Thanks also to Jeff for the reminder of the change in PageUp/PageDn in CS4. That one slipped by me.

As Eddie Lotter would say, "Happy Editing," and good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                      Michelmnr Level 1

About a year old but very helpful! page up and down not moving the cti = video track not active! thank you for the answer. (I wish something as simple would explain why my copy and pasted part of a sequence have the audio and video unlinked which is a real pain to edit as clip can only be linked back one at the time after selecting both audio and video then go to status bar under clip click link!)
                                      I could not find any thread or answer to relink the whole time line or a group of clips (PP CS4 W7 64bt

• 17. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Copy/Paste has some issues, and especially with Audio. One oddity, and it's highly intermittent, is that the Audio can go "flat-line" at any point in the editing. Things might work fine, with the Pasted Audio, then one day, the Waveform and the Audio will just disappear. Usually, Match Frame will recover it. The insideous part is that one might encounter this several days after the Copy/Paste seemed to have worked fine. I had this one bite me, well into a long day of editing. All worked perfectly for hours, and many Renders of that part of the Timeline. Then, and suddenly, that Audio Clip went flatline, though it had been working fine all morning. In the progress of that thread, Jeff Bellune mentioned the Match Frame feature (different keystrokes in my older version of PrPro), and all was fine. It saved me having to re-Import that Audio. When I went back and looked, I had lost about 20 Audio Clips on many Sequences, though all had worked for a period of time.

If possible, do not use Copy/Paste (I know that is tough), and if you do, just keep an eye out for the flatline behavior, and remember Match Frame.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                          Michelmnr Level 1

Thank you Bill so after all, I might have been lucky so far that things did not go even worse. I tried to find more info on match frame feature but apart from your previous entries (with stan) did not see very much. I wonder if I had a go at this procedure whether or not it'd relink audio and video. I may try with a copy of this particular project (although now i've done the hard yard and got it the way I want...and so far I didn't loose any audio!)  Would you or anyone else have any idea about relinking audio and video for more than one clip at the time though and if this is not the problem? (Cs4 suite) Thanx again.

• 19. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

There was a longish thread in the PrPro forum on this issue, with a lot of discussion. Unfortunately, it was lost, when the forum changeover happened.

It seems that Copy/Paste might work, or work for a period of time. What causes things to go wrong, have never been discovered, or perhaps articulated, and the intermittent nature of the issue does not help in the least.

As for Match Frame, I will try to outline what needs to be done. Each part is important to get it to function, as desired. Place the CTI (Current Time Indicator) over the Clip in question. Select the Clip. [Do not recall if one must Alt-click on the Audio portion only, to temporarily unlink it from the Video, but do not think so.] Hit the M key to match the Clip on the Timeline with the actual Clip on the HDD. Users, who have had issues, have either forgotten the CTI, or the Selecting of the Clip. [Prior to CS3, one hit the T key, instead of the M key. That was changed.] Hope that helps, and if I missed something, then I hope that another will step in and correct the instructions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                              Michelmnr Level 1

Thanks Bill, what hemisphere of the world do you live in, I thought you'd be asleep! Yes this is about what you put on your older thread. But I also remember reading through that old thread you or someone else said something like "really don't copy and paste!" so I just imported my sequence. and it seems very neat. I guess if I planned my work better I would not even have to do this but it's a little challenging when you pick up things from others as they traveled to and fro places with unnecessary double up sceneries for a DVD.

It's a very smart program it asks you if you want to import the the whole project or just the selected sequence, thus I think if I had several sequences in that project they would all have show up.I did not have issues about media from sequence to the other so far I imagine it knows where to get them, Well these original media were in the same directory which would help!
                                              • 21. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I am in the Northern and Western Hemispheres - Phoenix, AZ, USA, to be precise.

The older thread that I referred to was about 4 - 5 years ago, in what was then just the PrPro forum. PrPro 2.0 was the then current version. I cannot recall if the aborted forum overhaul, or the real one, a year, or so later, killed all the older posts. For a bit, they resided in the Archive, but all titles were stripped, and Search was horrible. Then one day they all disappeared. Lots of good stuff just went to byte heaven.

In the Encore forum, Jeff and Neil Wilkes had to completely reconstruct the FAQ section, and Steve Grisetti had to do the same in the PrE forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                                  Michelmnr Level 1

Wow!, no kangaroo over there! Yes some of you guys are amazing, with this. I come only when in trouble then take a 3 months holiday from the whole editing scene to recuperate! I wish though I would not be like the blond secretary that gets only 15 minutes break at lunch time in fear she'd need to be retrained! Last night I had all forgotten how to go about a motion menu in Encore! it's working now...But what a struggle! I remember the changes in the forum, with lot of good stuff going down the gurgle! Part of my friend's clips are in you area (yes the Grand Canyon, beautiful area!)

• 23. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yeah, I had to create a Menu from scratch recently, and just sat there blank, though I have done it many, many times. Normally, I work from one of the Library Menus, so I just opened one of those as my reference, and cleared my "writer's block." Sill, it was unnerving that I was drawing such a blank.

It's the same thing, when I need to do DTS Audio for use in Encore. I do it about 5 times per year, and always have refer to my "notes," to get it right - plus the mixing, in Audition.

My uncle used to state that the human brain was like a HHD - it can only hold so much, and when full, needs to be purged of some info - FIFO.

Hunt

• 24. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                                      Michelmnr Level 1

There we are, I'm not on my own! You mention dts, I had no idea what it was apart something to do with sound (with shame I must admit that I'm not to fussy about sound although I know how good sound can make so much difference in dvd enjoyment, but somehow it's my last priority. ) Anyway I read about it and now have an idea about what it is. Doing so I came about this article and though I might share the link with others. http://www.dvdreview.com/html/what_makes_dts_so_special_.html

• 25. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Cool link, and one that I had not seen. When I get back from travels, I will pour over that, and probably bookmark it for future reference.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 26. Re: HELP PLEASE - .dv file format not supported
                                                          Michelmnr Level 1

You're welcome

I still did not get any response in regard of way of linking and unlinking audio and video timeline tracks I wonder if anyone has some idea?
                                                          And with my other thread  about clips from a jvc camera switched on filming mode un-intentionally that would not render.It did not get any hit! I was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience or any idea why this would make a difference. I does not make much sense as if the camera is on a tripod, hand held or laying on car seat should not have any bearing on the .mod structure. Yet in my case when I rendered the timeline after using either extension . mpg, or .m2v, the rendering would stop and most of the time it occurred where one of those clips was. Even limiting the work area bar to that particular clip would not alter the situation.