11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 10:46 PM by Layne Batt

Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor

Layne Batt Level 1

Has anyone had problems previewing Music in the source monitor and not being able to stop it from playing or having to wait while it completes its run? I've had to work around this problem by placing the Music tracks in a separate sequence.

I work with Wave files mainly, but it happens with mp3's too; and it only happens with music tracks - never with video.  My system doesn't crash however unless I stop the program completely (ctr-alt-del) otherwise if I let the music play to the end, it usually snaps out of it, but the wait is frustrating and it breaks the creative search-momentum.

Technically, I work on a Gateway FX computer, running on Vista’s Ultimate with 4 gigs of ram memory, (configured by Adobe phone-techs to run smoothly in Vista), and it has a Core 2 Quad, with an nVIDIA Quadro FX 570 Express 2.0x16 Professional Display Card ($200) purchased in September 2008. It’s been discontinued and replace by the FX 580.

Otherwise, I enjoy working in Premiere and in the entire CS4 Suite - it's really an amazing accomplishment!

Looking forward to finding a solution,

Best regard,

LB

• 1. Re: Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor
          Matt Petersen Level 3

Layne, that's perculiar. I've had that happen to me a couple of times with IE8 but never in Premiere.

Can you tell us how your sound card is setup, and your sound settings in Premiere?

When you click the STOP button, what happens? Does the button appear to operate but nothing happens? Does the CTI stop? Does the program stop functioning alltogether?

MP

• 2. Re: Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the beginning i had the same issue have not seen it lately but i an now on version 4.2.

Have you updated to the latest version?

• 3. Re: Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor
              Layne Batt Level 1

Hi Matt,

thank you for replying. 

Can you tell us how your sound card is setup: The sound card which is "Realtek High Definition Audio" appears to be normal and was shipped with the Gateway FX computer?

and your sound settings in Premiere? in the project window the file is: 44100 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo - Wave files;

in my Preferences under Audio Hardware, the default device is Premiere Pro WDM Sound,  ASIO Settings;

in my Preferences under Audio, all is unchecked with exception of "Linear Keyframe thinning" under Automation Keyframe Optimization and Source Channel Mapping is "Use File" Default track format.

in my Preferences under Audio Output Mapping its "Premiere Pro WDM Sound" - Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) - 1 & (Realtek High Definition Audio) - 2

When you click the STOP button, what happens?  The Button does not respond.

Does the button appear to operate but nothing happens?  Yes.

Does the CTI stop? it continues moving along.

Does the program stop functioning all together?  no it doesn't, i'm able to regain control after it reaches the end.

I'm running Premiere Pro CS4 - 4.2.1

LB

• 4. Re: Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor
                Layne Batt Level 1

Hi Ann,

thank you for replying.

I have been updating the version of Premiere Pro routinely and I'm working with 4.2.1 now.

LB

• 5. Re: Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor
                  Matt Petersen Level 3

Layne, can you have a look on the Vendors website, and see if there is a newer version of your sound-chips' driver on the site.

Also, can you drop into the control panel for the sound card (on my machines with this chip, it's a brown speaker icon in the task tray) and check that none of the available "3D effects" or "enhancements" like "surround simulator" are turned on?

MP

• 6. Re: Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor
                    Layne Batt Level 1

Hi Matt,

at present the Driver is: Realtek Semiconductor Corp., dated: 7/18/2007, driver version is 6.0.1.5449 ---  I just ran the Windows updater and it has determined that the driver software is up to date.

In the speaker properties under "Enhancements" Disable all sound effects is not checked  Maybe I should disable this by checking the box? I will turn it off and test this now.

There is also an UNCHECKED box that says: "Immediate mode." I going to leave this unchecked for now.

LB

• 7. Re: Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor
                      Layne Batt Level 1

Hi Matt,

Just ran some tests and the Enhancement "turned off" seems to have solved it; I ran 4 music tracks in the preview monitor as I normally would, i.e., back and forth, marking sections, going between the Space Bar & the Button on the Preview Monitor and it worked without interruptions and didn't stick.

note: I did have to restart the computer, because after I "turned off" the Enhancements and Applied IT, I immediately ran the Music tests and it froze up again, but after restarting the computer - it seemed to engage the new changes.

thank you Matt!

I think this may have been the cause.

best regards,

Layne

• 8. Re: Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Realtek issues drivers about once per month. Just a guess, but I would say that your is 40 +/- behind the current. Go to the Realtek site and get the very latest driver. These can be broken in a heartbeat, with every OS update/hot-fix.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor
                          Matt Petersen Level 3

Layne, glad you have it sorted.

FYI, any "enhancement" offered by your sound card should almost always be disabled. They're just gimmicks meants for gamers and the like.

The realtek family is fine, as long as all the bells and whistles are turned off!

Windows Update generally won't get you the latest driver for a peripheral, just the latest one verified by MS. I typically do a "monthly sweep" across my video/sound/external device vendor websites to see if there's anything new in the driver department.

MP

• 10. Re: Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor
                            Layne Batt Level 1

Hi Bill,

thank you for the advice, I'll check out the Realtek site.

I appreciate it!

best regards,

Layne

• 11. Re: Often, I'm unable to stop Music tracks in Source monitor
                              Layne Batt Level 1

Hi Matt,

I understand that now.  Realtek seems like a good company, who would think "enhancements" would somehow cause the problem.  But this does make sense.

And yes, it also seemed that the Windows Updater for this driver did a pretty quick search finding no updates twice.  I'll incorporate the "monthly sweep" for the video/sound external devices too - good idea.

thank you again Matt,

big help!

LB