3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 9:26 PM by vgraham41

Not sure if this is right location.... database help.

vgraham41

Hey guys, I'm trying to build a page that has a drop down menu of 50 states and a few countries and when you select one of the dropdown items it lists the haunted houses that are located in that selected area.... I have no clue where to start.

I have access to databases, would this be the best option?

• 1. Re: Not sure if this is right location.... database help.
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Yes.  The first place to understanding databases though is to sit down and draw out what you want to happen.  I would recommend Gliffy ( http://www.gliffy.com/ ) as a good start to make a quick flow chart to understand what you need.  Then the next step is translating this into the database tables.  Your database might not be that complicated, but drawing things out always helps me understand what needs to happen.  More than likely your database will have 3 columns, a unique ID field, a haunted house field and a state field.  That would be the simplest construction and then you would select haunted houses based on the state field.

One thing you need to know right from the start is what type of database you have available to you on your server whether it be mySQL, MS SQL, etc.

• 2. Re: Not sure if this is right location.... database help.
            vgraham41 Level 1

I'm using MySQL on the site www.hypermart.com.

The language on the table building was very intimidating to me.

I want to make this as simple as possible. Just a page with a dropdown menu (states/countries) and when you select one it loads content into the page. All the content will be is Haunted House name, location, website, phone number, maybe another field. But that's it.

Thank you SnakEyes, I will definitely check gliffy out and get a chart goin. But that is basically what I want it to do.

Would the table be set up sorta like this?:

STATE                              HAUNT                                 

Alabama                              House1

House 2

House 3

Alaska                                  House 1

House 2

?

Thank you so much for your help, btw.

• 3. Re: Not sure if this is right location.... database help.
              vgraham41 Level 1

Okay.... So I have a list of members in a grid already. It's a CSV format, but can be Excel format too.

Can I just upload this to the server and be done with this?