3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2010 2:43 AM by mileking

Is there a script making program, an easy one?

kellyjaye1 Level 1

I hate programming, javascript, VB script, etc... but I am finding that I could really use some scripts for various things I use InDesign for.  Is there a good (preferably free) script maker out there that doesnt require a great deal of programming knowledge?

• 1. Re: Is there a script making program, an easy one?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Unfortunately, not.

Photoshop and Illustrator both have "Actions", which merely records keystrokes and can optionally show its dialogs, or skip them altogether. I'd really like to have something similar for InDesign, so I don't have to write a script for even the simplest of repeating tasks.

Similar, Word for Windows has "Macros", which also records your actions but stores them as VBScript, so you can tune, refine, and expand them if you are inclined that way. It's a great way to get one started with something complicated. (And it's also a great incentive to learn programming-as-you-go...)

Vote for this on the Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form and keep your fingers crossed for the next version ...

• 2. Re: Is there a script making program, an easy one?
            kellyjaye1 Level 1

ah yes, im very familiar with the Actions in Photoshop.  Didnt know they were also in Illustrator though I have never looked either.  InDesign really needs that stuff also, I use ID more than any of other Adobe programs.  I do remember looking into that and wishing for it about 2 versions ago, cant believe it still hasnt been added. Maybe someone can create a script that adds a record option?

• 3. Re: Is there a script making program, an easy one?
              mileking

As far as I know, there is not. But there are a lot of

sample scripts on the Internet, for example, creating calendar or so. Try searchin

g the internet for sample scripts you may need.

mileking