9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 6:34 PM by the_wine_snob

Win7 64-bit update?

ruffhouseutah Level 1

Anyone know when an update for 64-bit might be forthcoming? Perhaps version 9 this fall?

I've updated Nvidia, updated version to 8.0.1, and I'm able to use PE for the most part, but it does crash once or more each hour.

Man this looks like it would be a wonderful program if it could just be more reliable. I'd consider upgrading to PrePro, but I owned that before and had even more problems than with Elements, and looking at their forums it seems like they're still struggling.

I guess those of us with 64-bit systems will just have to deal with it, after all, Adobe doesn't yet claim to support it.

• 1. Re: Win7 64-bit update?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Have not heard any rumors, but probably within the next few months, PrPro CS5 will be released, and it will ONLY be 64-bit. It could well be that PrE 9 will follow that path. Now, the releases of PrPro and PrE do not coincide normally, with PrPro being on a longer schedule, and PrE being about every year.

Still, no one has leaked anything, so the above is just observation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Win7 64-bit update?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I definitely would not expect Premiere Elements 8 to ever be 64-bit compatible. Although, when Service Pack 1 is released, it is possible that Windows 7 64-bit will be 32-bit compatible.

As Hunt indicates, the professional versions of the software are already 64-bit compatible. So, now that most consumer computers are being sold with 64-bit Windows 7 installed, it might well be that Premiere Elements 9 will be a 64-bit program.

But no one can say for sure.

About the only certainty is that version 8 will NOT be udpated for 64-bit.

• 3. Re: Win7 64-bit update?
              nealeh Level 5

ruffhouseutah wrote:

I guess those of us with 64-bit systems will just have to deal with it, after all, Adobe doesn't yet claim to support it.

Not necessarily.

Windows 7 Compatibility Centre shows that PRE8 IS 64-bit compatible. Applications are only ever described as 64-bit compatible if that is confirmed, by the supplier, to Microsoft. Understand though that this does not mean PRE8 is a 64-bit application, it isn't. It's a 32-bit application running on a 64-bit operating system.

w7pre8.png

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Win7 64-bit update?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's true in concept, Neale. But the 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 are still causing a lot of problems for Premiere Elements 8 users.

So it's not the operating system or the program that's the problem. It's the way the program interfaces with your computer's hardware -- which hopefully will be worked out by hardware manufacturers in the next 6 months or so.

• 5. Re: Win7 64-bit update?
                  Ceslaus1234 Level 1

So Steve,

If I understand you correctly, PE8 is ok but the problem is in the 64 bit hardware drivers?

I am running Win7 64bit and PE8 is unuseable, thought I run a lot of cad and 3d software and they work fine.

I went back to vista 32 bit and had less crashes but could never finish a project to output to dvd.

I have an Nvidia 9800gtx and intel quad processor with 6 gig of memory. PE7 worked so much better

even under win7 64bit.

Ceslaus

• 6. Re: Win7 64-bit update?
                    nealeh Level 5

But it's existence on the W7-64 compatibility site is ammunition when tech support says 'it is not compatible' - it will have been Adobe that passed that information to Microsoft (although (Dilbertesque) it was more likely Marketing than Technical that gave that information).

It may also be leverage for those past the thirty day refund period to still obtain a refund.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Win7 64-bit update?
                      DRC_40 Level 1

Ceslaus1234 wrote:

9800gtx and intel quad processor

Ceslaus

And there is that toxic combination again. 9 Series AND multi core processors. 

• 8. Re: Win7 64-bit update?
                        Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Hi Steve,

I do run Premiere Elements on our i7 Xeon 4 core successfully , but, is there any information of an Elements Photoshop & Premiere Elements 64 bit application shortly ?But, will go to Premiere CS5 shortly.

thanks,

Bob

• 9. Re: Win7 64-bit update?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

I have heard nothing, but that is pretty much to be expected, as Adobe is always very closed on what upcoming versions are going to include, or be built around. Only time will tell.

Good luck,

Hunt