7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 11:36 AM by the_wine_snob

Elements 8 does not start up

ricolacandy

The application doesn't want to open! I'm able to get the welcome screen, but when I click either "new project" or "open project," I get nothing. I'm able to open "organize," however. There's one clue as to what the trouble is.... I downloaded the most recent update online and clicked on the welcome screen. It displayed a message saying something like "desktop is turned off....Go to edit -> preferences -> general..."  Though I did that under "organize" and couldn't find any relevant setting to fix the situation. Help. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Elements 8 does not start up
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          It displayed a message saying something like "desktop is turned off....Go to edit -> preferences -> general..."

I would re-launch the program, and get the exact text of the error message. If it goes by too quickly, maybe set up your video camera to record exactly what it says, and exactly what each dialog screen says.

I am totally unaware of "desktop turned off," but that does not mean that it's not one of the errors. Having the full details might be very useful in tracking down the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Elements 8 does not start up
            morgandj Level 1

It could also be that PrE8 is still running in the background, this will stop it running again as you can't have two instances of the program running, have a look in task manager to see if it is running then end task and try to open the program again.

David

• 3. Re: Elements 8 does not start up
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If that is the case, then this FAQ Entry might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Elements 8 does not start up
                VDOSurfer Level 3

You could turn down the hardware acceleration option. To do this, "right click on desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot" Pull the slider all the way down and launch PrE

This was suggested by the Adobe Support for PrE once for one of my friends and it worked.

I do not know what else this option does, but you should be able to launch after this one though. and BTW, the options I mentioned were assuming you have Win XP, it shouldn't be too far away for other OSs..

• 5. Re: Elements 8 does not start up
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. Hardware Acceleration can be an odd duck. With some systems, turning it to Min does the trick, while with others, turning it to Max is the cure. When either change works, I recommend stepping up, or down, until it does not work, and then incrementing by one notch. Usually, this will allow some element of Hardware Acceleration, but sometimes one is at Min, and that is all they can get.

OpenGL is similar, and usually available via the video card's console.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Elements 8 does not start up
                    ricolacandy Level 1

Thank you for all your suggestions. After tinkering around a little more, I realized the program screen was set to 'minimize' and so, yes, it was running in the background. Just before this happened, Elements had crashed on me (is 1 hour of footage really that heavy??). I rebooted and started over and the same thing happened. Frustrating. But I'm glad this forum is available.

• 7. Re: Elements 8 does not start up
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Is 1 hour of footage really that heavy??

Well, that depends. It depends on the footage, how well it matches the Project's Preset, and also the power of one's computer. All of those will be factors.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - glad that you found the program!!!!