6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 8:03 PM by the_wine_snob

I wouldn't bother you guys with this, but...

Kurt_777 Level 1

Hi folks.

I'm almost ready to buy After Effects, (I know this isn't the right forum but I can not find an AE forum anywhere!) I assume some of you fellas have AE, and I need to know one thing about it.

In activating After Effects, can I do what I did when I activated Premiere Elements 7? I mean, I installed PE7 on another computer that wasn't connected to the Net, and as I recall I had to generate a number or something like that, and take that number back to this connected computer here and thus activate.

My question is, can I do that procedure with After Effects? 

Sorry to be a PITA, but you're the only people I can ask and know I'll get a quick answer.

Thanks a lot.

Kurt.

• 1. Re: I wouldn't bother you guys with this, but...
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

I have AE on my two main computers. Unfortunately for your question, both are connected to the Internet, so Activation was easy for me on both.

Now, here is the AfterEffects Forum. I'll bet that someone there has been in the same situation, as you, and can tell you how they did it. I cannot.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - you will love AE for compositing and animation.

• 2. Wonderful!
            Kurt_777 Level 1

Thanks a lot, Bill, you never let me down!

(I must be going blind, (or senile), because I couldn't find that forum!!)

I know I'll love AE. I just hope my wife still loves me after I raid the bank account! 

Cheers,

Kurt.

• 3. Re: Wonderful!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

Don't worry, as it took me three looks to get it too. I hate the way that the forum drop downs work now. Too much "stuff," and please do not get me started on PS in 10,000 different languages...

Good luck, and you will love AE. I have to admit that its learning curve is a bit steeper, and I have a background in Flash, that has some similar operations, but for different processes. I use it, when I need to use it. I should force myself to implement it more often, but if I can do something in PrPro, or PS, I will go to my old friends. I'd be better in AE, if I just used it more often.

Hunt

• 4. Meant to ask you this, too.
                Kurt_777 Level 1

Bill,

Talking to you has reminded me of a question I intended to ask a long time ago, but never got around to.

I printed out your post called "Lean, Mean, Editing Machine" and went to disable all the startup programs and services I could. But when I ran MSConfig, and looked at all the entries, I was totally bamboozled. Some of them were obvious, and safe to disable. But most of the file names were unknown to me, and I had no idea which ones were safe to disable and which ones weren't. So basically I left everything alone.

If I go ahead and get After Effects, for sure I'm going to want to free up as much power as I can, down to the last Kilobyte!

My question is, do you know of any site where the various files that appear in Startup are translated for the average illiterate like me? Something that will explain what each one does and whether or not it's safe to remove it? I'm using Windows XP.

Thanks for your help, again.

Kurt.

• 5. Re: Meant to ask you this, too.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

With MSCONFIG, one often has to do a bit or research to determine what is needed, and what is unnecessary. One of the great things about MSCONFIG is that if you use it, when you boot up, it will first give you a reminder dialog screen. If you have disabled something really necessary, then just re-boot, and go to MSCONFIG again, to enable it. When you are satisfied that all is perfect, and that everything works with the programs and Processes that you have retained, you can disable that dialog screen, but do NOT do it until ALL has been tested.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Meant to ask you this, too.
                    Kurt_777 Level 1

Great! Thanks, Bill.

The Warning Dialogue alert - saviour of the Common Man!

Cheers,

Kurt.