13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2010 12:15 PM by the_wine_snob

source monitor smooth program monitor jerky

terry lee martin Level 1

Hi, just checking to see if someone will have an idea of why my video has a playback problem. It plays very smoothly in the source monitor but in the program monitor it is not very smooth at all. Even when I go to highest quality playback. It actually seems to run smoother on that Automatic quality. If I attempt to the shuttle button, it will advance the verticle time indicator, but the image in the window freezes.

I'm using Premiere Pro CS4. I have 2 1tb hard drives, 2.1g processor, and 4gb of RAM. It has worked perfectly in the past. I haven't been editing video for about 2 months, and when I started editing again today, these things were noticed.   

• 1. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please give us the entire info on the source AV files. Your answer will likely be in there. Also, is there a red line above the Clips in the Timeline. How do these play, after you hit the Enter key, to turn the red lines (if you have them) green.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
            terry lee martin Level 1

Hello Bill,

Yes there was a red line above the clips in the timeline. I hit the enter key to begin rendering and when it finished, the video played smoothly in the program monitor and source monitor using all three available video qualities in each.

The AV files were raw digital video downloaded to my computer hard drive from a 16gb class 4 memory card. It was shot using a Canon VIXIA HF200 using FXP mode. It was brought into Premiere as a DV- NTSC standard 48KHz preset.

• 3. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
              terry lee martin Level 1

Hi Bill,

There is another unusual thing that happens when I watch the video in the program window and I am not sure what it means. First of all, I have two monitors that I use with my computer. If I start the playback of video in the program window, and then go to my other monitor, or for that matter, any other open window on either monitor, the playback stops in the PPCS4 program window. I mentioned previously that when the video is playing in the program window, it stutters. The sound is clean. Also my chapter markers, both the pointy top ones and disc shaped ones near the top of the timeline window stutter in what seems to be the same pattern as the video in the program window.

• 4. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
                terry lee martin Level 1

Hello Bill,

I am now certain that you are correct about the prblem being the source video. I just imported some video that was shot with my old video camera. That camera used digital video tape. When I brought that video into PPCS4, everything worked perfectly. My problem is with the video I am importing, and not the editor.

With my old camera I had to spend the time to transfer the video from the camera to my hard drive using the capture function of PPCS4. The video I shoot now is stored on a small memory card. I simply take the memory card out and insert it into a card reader on my computer and transfer the video files over to my hard disk. Obviously I am missing a step here. Can someone tell me what that step is?

• 5. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Terry,

Your Vixia is an AVCHD camera. It shoots nice pictures, but is a beast to edit. It requires a lot of muscle, in terms of CPU, memory and hard disk setup, more than you have now and that is the cause of your problems. Your system does not have enough muscle for that material.

While not familiar with AVCHD, it is known that - at least with XDCAM material - one should not import individual files, but complete directories from these kind of cameras. Maybe that helps, even if your system is not terribly fast.

• 6. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
                    terry lee martin Level 1

Hello Bill,

I figured it out myself. I'm sure this will seem silly to most of you, but when you are new, well ---- you are new. I was using video from a different camera and didn't realize that when I imported it into PPCS4, I had to tell the program what kind of video I was going to be working with. I assumed it was the same as the other video I had been using, and, of course, it was not. Now I know, and maybe this will same someone else from having the same difficulties. 

• 7. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
                      terry lee martin Level 1

Harm,  do you know what CPU processor speed I would need? I have a dual core right now, would a Quad take care of the problem?

• 8. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
                        terry lee martin Level 1

Harm, do you know what CPU processor speed I would need? I have a dual core right now, would a Quad take care of the problem?

• 9. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

I don't know what CS5 and MPE will bring to editing AVCHD, but with CS4 I think an i7-920 (possibly over clocked) is about minimum for comfortable editing.

• 10. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news. Yes, this can trip people up, even ones, who have been around video editing for a bit. Your Project (now Sequence in CS4) Preset needs to match the source footage 100%. In CS4, things got much easier, as these Presets are applied at the Sequence level, and not at the Project level as before. What this means is that you can have a Project with Sequences, for different source material - NEAT! Just make certain that you match those Sequence Presets match your source footage. If there is not a Preset already, choose Desktop, which should have been named "Custom," but that is another story, where you can customize almost every aspect to match the attributes of your footage. When you source footage changes, use a different Sequence with matching Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Harm. At the barest of minimums, a fast Quad-core, but better will be, well "better." AVCHD is highly CPU dependent. Go for ALL of the power that you can. If one could stuff 8 i7-920's onto a MoBo - go for it! Then OC to the max. Now, you might need to add a separate air conditioner to the case...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

There may be light in the future. SuperMicro has shown a quad socket mobo for the new dodeca Opterons, the H8QG6-F, bringing your active cores to 48. That is a bit different than 4 cores with HT. And it has 32 DIMM slots, so memory would not be your first worry.

• 13. Re: source monitor smooth program monitor jerky
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting. Guess that my thought was not SO far-fetched after all.

Thanks,

Hunt