3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 8:14 PM by the_wine_snob

why is it so slow?

immersion1984

I have 3ghz, 6g ram, right out of the box, and the HD video clips in PE8 are skipping and slow. When it's not playing video it's also mad slow.

The regular windows video editor has no problem playing HD.

Any way to speed this up?

thanks

• 1. Re: why is it so slow?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, please tell us all about the source media files, and then please give us more info on your system, especially the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their speed, size, controller type, free space and how they are allocated.

With all but AVCHD material, the I/O is the most important aspect. With AVCHD, the CPU is the more important factor in the equation.

To get the most out of your system, the tips in this ARTICLE might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: why is it so slow?
            immersion1984 Level 1

I read the article, and I don't have those problems because I don't have things like internet or viruses or programs besides adobe.

This other computer I'm using is an internet virgin and I intend to keep it that way. I only import data from flash drives from THIS computer. My editing computer is just for editing and nothing else.

I don't know how to check the I/O thing, but in task manager, there's only a few dozen processes, and all of them are 0% of CPU. Adobe takes everything. It skips between 20 and 70% or higher.

Source media files......theyre from a Canon Vixia HF S100 at the 25mb/s setting i think.

• 3. Re: why is it so slow?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The I/O sub-system will be your internal HDD's, their size, speed, controller type, the amount of free space and how you have them allocated. Most of that data will be available from Control Panel>System>Device Manager, and the rest from My Computer>[Drive Letter]>Properties.

Good luck, and glad that you have a clean, lean and mean machine.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful