I make short films from our family trips, using the jpg:s and mjpg clips made with our Canon compact digital camera. ... I noticed (looking at properties on the clip in the preview window in PE7), that the original audio is 44100Hz mono, but PE7 converts it to 48000Hz mono. ... but it should not be any difference on different clips from the same source…
PRE does not work well editing video from digital photo cameras.
The 48000Hz audio conversion is normal.
Re Clips from the same source please run one working and one not working through the application GSpot and post screen captures here.
Ideally convert the footage to DV-AVI before loading to PRE. See What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
I definitely agree with Neale.
Most people find success converting MJPEG-AVIs to DV-AVIs with Windows MovieMaker, using the steps in the link Neale posted.
Thanks, I suppose I can start batch-converting my mjpg movies before importing them inte PE7, if that would make this problem disappear. I'll try that (I have FormatFactory installed, but VirtualDub seems like a nice tool if that is better), although that would make the process a bit more long-winded...
Regarding GSPOT info on a file that works and one doesn't, there are typically no difference between them (except length and content, of course). In fact, as I mentioned above, the same movie did not work until I did some reinstalling, clearing caches etc. Then the same movie suddenly worked OK again.
I attach the GSPOT info on that file.
(I never had this problem on my older XP system that run PE2...).
I will try converting to see if the problem disappears.
The 44.1KHz mono should not be a problem. Yes, internally, PrE will first Conform that to 48KHz 32-bit Floating Point for editing, but as 44.1KHz is a standard (THE standard for CD Audio), Adobe programs can read that, and Conform fine - in most cases.
I am a big fan of batch converting, and since I only do SD Projects, will always choose DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. I use a shareware converter, because it offers me rapid batch conversion, and never fails me with some really odd footage, but there are several freeware programs, that get high marks from users here.
Recently, I had a handful of WMV's, and got lazy. PrE will Import most WMV's, so I just loaded them up. Bad move! Things took so very long, even on a very fast system. Minutes stretched into hours. When finally done, I did the same edit with the WMV's converted to DV-AVI's and it was 5x faster with the same exact quality. For the time it would take to have a big cup of coffee, during the batch conversion, I could have saved many hours of processing time. I knew the proper workflow, as I espouse it here all of the time to others. I broke my "golden rule," and paid the price, 'cause I got lazy. I think that I posted the exact times in a thread I started, to re-enforce the benefit of converting outside of the NLE, so that others could learn from my error.