21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 1:01 PM by the_wine_snob

Pre E 7 Instalation

Ian4512

Hi All,

I am re-installing Elements 7,(used it for 2yrs without any problems !) but installation fails with error message "can't find the file .dotnetfx"

The instal prog is looking ont the prog disk.

I can install by opening the disk and clicking on the windows install ikon.

I can run the PRE 7 but it tells me that it is a minimun install and to install remaining item from thedisk, which I do.

Finally the program runs, but with no presets.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Ian

• 1. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
          nealeh Level 5

.Net is a Microsoft technology. the most recent update to it can be found here. You may also need v1.1 - from here. Install it and see if your error message goes away or changes.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, NetFramework has proved to be a fragile little thing. I fought it with a new HP printer/FAX and its drivers. I had to basically chuck it, for two XP-Pro updates, until MS got it fixed. Not sure what the issues are, but then I am not a software developer.

Let's hope that MS gets it fixed for more universal use, whatever that takes.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
              Ian4512 Level 1

Hi Bill,

belatedly, thank you for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately, my windows instalation got a big bit unstable, so I'm going

for ra e-format upwards !

Back to dotnetfx

I installed both items from previous post (nealah), but it didn't produce a

magic fix, surprise surprise !

I wonder why my PE7 instal asked for dotnetfx in the first place. Surely if

it was a necessary file it would be on the install disk ?

I will carry on with fresh instalation, up to SP2, and post results.

Thanks,

Ian

• 4. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                Ian4512 Level 1

Hi Neale

Thanks for your fast response !

But no magic fix.

Going for a full format and then fresh install all the way up, to SP2

Still wondering why PE7is looking for dotnetfx.....If it needs it it should

be on the instal disc.

Will post results soonest.

Thanks again,

Ian

• 5. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ian,

Sorry to hear of the OS issues. Sounds like too much might be smurfed. Some recommend a reformat and reinstall of the entire OS about once per year. Maybe I have always been lucky, as I have not had to do this since about Win 3.1.1.

Good luck, and hope that things go well and smoothly for you.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                    Ian4512 Level 1

Just intalled from format up to SP3 plus all available update from microsoft.

PRE 7 is still not installing. It says file not found "dotnetfx.exe"

Itis looking at the install disc.

I can download the file....but where do I put it ??

Life is hard.

Ian.

• 7. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                      nealeh Level 5

I'm running out of ideas.

You could try running the install as administrator (this is different from running with an account that has administrator privileges). Do so by right-clicking autoplay.exe and selecting 'Run as ...' then "The following user: Administrator'.

Try using your install disk on another computer - just to check its integrity.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE is really just a basic checklist for installing most Adobe programs. You are probably already doing everything here, but just in case. Also, it seems that your issue is anything but general - it seems very specific.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                          nealeh Level 5

A couple of other ideas:

• Copy the two dotnetfx files to 'C:\' and 'C:\Windows\system32'.
                          • Copy the install disk to a folder on your PC and run it from there.

You're not do anything clever with drive and path mappings are you?

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                            Ian4512 Level 1

Only thing not tried is,should I run the dotnetfx file, currently in systen32 file???

any thoughts ?? (I dont really know what it does)

I am begining to think that the disc itself could corrupted. I have examine3d it very close and cannot see any damage or even a scratch

Sooooooo, Buy a new program disc ??

Pre E 7 or 8 ???

Any thoughts ???

Ian

• 11. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                              nealeh Level 5

I'd try it on a different computer to verify disc integrity. I've forgotten at what stage activation of the product is made - if you need to activate it to complete the check ensure you deactivate it afterwards.

Try copying the two files to the locations I suggested.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                                Ian4512 Level 1

Hi Neal.

yes I did copy the files to system 32, but no effect.

Should I run the exe file ?

Yes I did try it on another computer, (running the same windows XP Proform the same disc) and it gives the same result....no proper instalation !

In both cases I can get an install by opening the disc, and clicking on the windows installer.

The prog then runs, but with the only preset Pal-DV-Standard-48kHz

Disc shows absolutely no sign of damage.

Looks like I shall have to dig into my pocket !

Ian

• 13. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                                  nealeh Level 5

Some more random thoughts:

• Go to "<drive>:\Adobe Premiere Elements 7" and use 'run as administrator' on the file "setup.exe".
                                  • You say you got an install but without the presets - that's a step in the right direction. Go to "<drive>:\Adobe Premiere Elements 7" again and use 'run as administrator' on the file "Install Content.exe". Does that improve matters?
                                  • Download the trial version of PRE7 (I linked that somewhere in these forums) and the Additional Content. Install them using your boxed prouct serial number. I don't know for sure if a boxed product serial number can work with a download trial version, but it must  be worth a try.
                                  • If all else fails you could contact Adobe and ask if they can replace your product DVD. If you are out of warranty they will probably charge a handling fee. And the worst that can happen is they say 'no'.

I'm pretty sure now that I am out of ideas!

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale

• 14. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                                    nealeh Level 5

Here is the thread containing the link to PRE7 trial: Re: Is PE7 compatable with windows 7 64bit?

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                                      Ian4512 Level 1

Good and bad news.

Got on to the download site.

tried about 40 times to download, all unsucessfull !

Did a bit of lateral thinking, surfed google for a download manager.

Found "Widestream 6"

It worked brilliantly!!!

First time...full download !!!

Its now 11.50pm and bedtime.

Going off to Fuerteventura in the morning, for 10 days sunshine....I feel I

deserve it !!

Will post again when I return.

Meantime many thanks to Neal and Bill Hunt for taking the trouble to try and

help me out.

I will drink to you continuing sanity, when i hit the beach.

Ian.

• 16. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ian,

Enjoy your well-earned holiday.

Let us know how it goes, upon your return.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                                          Ian4512 Level 1

Bags all packed, ready for the off, but couldn' resist a try at installing

the trial download.

It went in first time, added the extra content from original disk, and that

went fine.

I am running on the trial 30 day download, but I think it may accept my

original serial number.

Will try that after the expiry date.

Tho only thing I did notice on this install, was that it seemed to take

quite a while at the start of the install to configure Microsoft .net

!,which was my original stumbling block.

But I now have a fully functioning Pre E 7....Yipee.

Will give a final post when I get back.

Off on holiday now, wife a bit freaky about the time....got to go !

Thanks all !

Ian

• 18. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                                            nealeh Level 5

Enjoy your break. If on your return you find that the trial does not accept a boxed product serial number you could extract the download program files (using 7-zip) then overwrite those files with everything from your full install disk, except the two dotnetfx files.

[New Thought] As it now has a properly configured .net feature, you might try a normal install from your original disk. It's possible that the install routine 'recgonises' the exisitng .net and so won't try to reinstall it.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

Added [New Thought]

• 19. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ian,

So far, so good.

Travel safely, and let us know how it all goes, when you return.

Happy holiday,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                                                Ian4512 Level 1

Hi all !

Holiday was pretty fantastic ! Went to Fuerteventura (Canary Islands)

Beautifull weather, around 30/33 degrees, with a warm breeze. Warm enough to really chill out !! (much chilling in the horizontal position)

Now that my head has cleared...Emptied !

I put some thought into my installation problem.

The main culprit was strangely enough, the Matrox RT100 board. By following too strictly, their install procedures. They want to do a full install only after Premiere Pro is installed, and working properly........So far, no problem.

The matrox install asked for fresh install before SP2.

I got to this point, installed Photoshop 7, and everything was fine, and working well.

Now I installed Pre E 7, and up came the message "dotnetfx.exe not found"

I did try the fixes suggested on here, but could get no joy.

Then I downloaded the Pre E 7 tryout.(with download difficulties till I found "Widestream 6", a freebie from Google)

Same problem again.

Then downloaded all available Microsoft updates and SP2

Voila !

Everything worked

My only explanation seems to be, that "dotnetfx.exe" is probably only a part of the microsoft .net program !

Pre E7 uses the internet a good bit more that some  other Adobe progs, like Prem 1.51

So, I am happy again. Whew !!

It was a bit gruelling along the way, but with all your help and moral support, a sollution seems to hve been achieved.

Your moral support was exceptional , and I do thank you all very much.

Ian.

• 21. Re: Pre E 7 Instalation
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ian,

Glad that the holiday was wonderful.

Also, we're happy that you got the installation sorted out, and thank you for posting the path that you took to success.

Matrox cards have caused several problems with various Adobe programs.

Good luck, and happy editing.

Hunt