7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 12:41 PM by Harm Millaard

Is it a Codec Prob?

jwalter5019 Level 1

Im really getting my butt kicked with Premiere Pro Trial.

I have someone helping me that uses the software regularly, but Im still having problems so its prob not the simplest answer.

Originally I started with a .mov file that I created with my flip type camera. I was doing a 2 cam shoot and the video payed fine in Premiere. I was able to find my sync point and enable multicam, all that worked fine. When I tried to view the mutlicam window the probs started. I would get no video, but audio played. Sometimes the 2 cam viewpoints showed up, sometimes not but never had a video output showing.

So we figured the .mov was too compress so I converted to uncompressed .avi, then used Vdub to compress it using lagarith CODEC.

The lag file plays audio, but won't show video in the program window. Actually, as I write this I just tried adding the .AVI & .Mov and none are playing video, but they do play audio.

Im using a dual core 2.2Ghz laptop w/3 g ram. so it meets the specs for premiere, although it seems to not run very smooth.

All of the video files ply fine in Quicktime or window media player.

to add to the prob, sometimes after I restart the program, the video will play fine in the small preview window at the top left, but wont show video in the program window.

any help appreciated.

jason

• 1. Re: Is it a Codec Prob?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I have someone helping me that uses the software regularly, but Im still having problems so its prob not the simplest answer.

Actually it is:

1. Trial version. No MPEG whatsoever in the trial version as is clearly stated on the Adobe site.

2. Flip camera, which is troublesome to say the least. Look in the PE forum for ways to use that material.

3. Lacking hardware for that kind of stuff and NOT meeting minimum requirements. Unless you have not told the whole story.

Im using a dual core 2.2Ghz laptop w/3 g ram. so it meets the specs for premiere, although it seems to not run very smooth.

This is not enough, it does not meet minimum requirements as stated on the Adobe site.

• 2. Re: Is it a Codec Prob?
            jwalter5019 Level 1

I'm a newbie and really don't fully understand the all the different codecs & such. So I'm not sure I understand what not having MPEG support in the trial means, or more that I'm not sure how that effects what I'm doing.

I figured that converting any format from any camera to an uncompress video file, would let me then convert to any format that the program could use. That may be the essence of why I don't understand the whole codec situation.

For the min requiremtns, I looked them up here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

I saw the 2 gig proc & figured I was good, but thats just for DV....Digital Video?

It requires more proc for HD & HDV. Not sure what the dif betweeen those 2 are. It says 2 gigs of ram is OK.

Now if I could get the program to work, even if its slow. It would allow me to decide if I liked it, then I would not have a prob upgrading

I'm trying to record instructional videos for my companies website. They will all pretty much be the same styel for now. 1 Cam pointed at a remote control, a second pointed at a TV to show  to onscreen show menus with a narration going on the whole time.

I have auditioned several software packages a& like this the best for what I'm trying to do. If only I could get a completed video.

• 3. Re: Is it a Codec Prob?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you a little background on CODEC's, the "building blocks" of AV files.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Is it a Codec Prob?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Point 6 is pretty clear, but if AVI, MPEG and codec are words you do not yet understand, start getting a good education and start with the basics. You don't have your first driving lesson in a Formula 1 car on Monza, do you?

• 5. Re: Is it a Codec Prob?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE talks more about formats, which are almost all just "wrappers," and what might be inside them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Is it a Codec Prob?
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Flip camera works natively with CS4.

I am not sure if the codec is covered in the trial

Have a look at this:

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2009/12/using_a_flip_minohd_camera_wit.html

• 7. Re: Is it a Codec Prob?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      I am not sure if the codec is covered in the trial

It is not.