7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 6:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Aspect ratio

inspectorul

The files Capture with Media Downloader in a folder where is all the project are 16:9 ! I play the files there.

Interpret footage show me that: the file are 16:9 Pal DV Widescreen  1,etc

and diferent changes don't make the image 16:9  in the project monitor !

Thanks,  Adrian

• 1. Re: Aspect ratio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, you need to ensure your Premiere Elements project is set up with a project preset that matches your source footage.

My free Basic Training tutorials on Muvipix.com show you how.

Second, you must use Premiere Elements to capture or download the video.

Some sources, however, do not use non-square pixels or do not communicate this to the program and the footage must be interpreted manually.

What type of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

• 2. Re: Aspect ratio
            inspectorul Level 1

My movie is record in SD Pal Widesreen on mini DVD with Sony HDR-UX9E( This camera record Both SD & HD on miniDVD and Memory Stick-ProDuo )

I capture the Vob files with Media Downloader in Adobe Premiere Elements 7 from miniDVD. Interpret Footage tell me the files is Pal Widesreen but the image is 4:3. Playback settings is DV25i (720X576). Existing other settings in Media Downloader or in Project Settings or Preference for this "problem" ?  My Pc is Intel Core2Duo 2,4 Ghz , 3 Gb RAM , 2X250 GB HDD ( Raid 0 -Stripe) , PNY Nvidia 8800GT ,WindowsXP(SP3) , PE7 , etc...

Thanks, Adrian

• 3. Re: Aspect ratio
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Often video from DVDs doesn't transfer its widescreen settings into the program.

The solution is to right-click on the clips in your Project Media panel or on your timeline and select Interpret Footage. There you'll be able to manually set the video to widescreen pixels.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Aspect ratio
                inspectorul Level 1

Thanks Steve ! Second time it work with Interpret Footage.

Please tell me what is the the best convertors for usual Video&audio files.

Thank you again , Adrian

• 5. Re: Aspect ratio
                  nealeh Level 5

You said you are using an SD project so this article will help: What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Aspect ratio
                    inspectorul Level 1

Please retain your words for Your children.

Virtual insanity !

• 7. Re: Aspect ratio
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I have been using a shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter, but many sing the praises of a freeware conversion utility, Prism, and report excellent results. For an SD Project, you will want to convert to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. Also, there are other converters available, but I have no experience with them, and have seen some that did not do good jobs for other users. I do not have a name list of those to avoid, and some of those might work well for some users. Many problems can just be OE, with the user not choosing the correct format/CODEC to convert to. With an SD DVD Project, the choice is clear and is easy - DV-AVI w/ above specs.

Good luck and Happy Editing,

Hunt