4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 12:17 PM by jimbeaux2

I hate disasters!

jimbeaux2

Somehow, a seeveral projects that I've been working on for over a month got deleted. I was able to undelete the files using some freeware, but when I try to open the files I get an error that says "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened."

Now, assuming that a .prel file references other files as well, how can I figure out what other files besides the .prel need to be restored? Or is there something else I can do? I don't want to have to redo an entire month's work!

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: I hate disasters!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the first thing that I would do would be to test the .PREL in XML Wrench, to see if the header is well-formed.

Next, you can Open your .PREL in a text editor, and trace the files and locations. The .PREL file is but an XML database with links to files and their previous location, then instructions on what data is required from those files and what you have instructed PrE to do with that data.

This ARTICLE might give you a touch more background. Also, check to see if you still have any of your AutoSave files. Depending on where you located your Scratch Disks, they should be in an AutoSave folder under your Project's folder. Make sure to look at the AutoSave folder in the Details View and check the Date/Time of each of the probably five files. Note that [Project Name]_005 might well be older than [Project Name]_003.

Good luck, and sorry about the Deletion.

Hunt

• 2. Re: I hate disasters!
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'd also be concerned as to WHY this files were deleted or corrupted.

Could you have a virus?

Are you running low on free, defragmented hard drive space?

You certainly want to fix whatever went wrong so that it doesn't keep happening.

• 3. Re: I hate disasters!
              jimbeaux2 Level 1

I was already checking out XML Wrench, but it doesn't look good. Not only is the header not well formed, but comparing the damaged file with a good file shows that they're nothing alike. For example, the good file's first few lines are:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
              <PremiereData Version="3">
                  <Project ObjectRef="1"/>
                  <Project ObjectID="1" ClassID="62ad66dd-0dcd-42da-a660-6d8fbde94876" Version="21">
                      <VideoPreviewCompileSettings ObjectRef="1457"/>
                      <NextID>1000000</NextID>
                      <NextSequenceID>2</NextSequenceID>
                      <CustomCompileSettings ObjectRef="1452"/>
                      <StillCompileSettings ObjectRef="1442"/>
                      <MovieCompileSettings ObjectRef="1437"/>
                      <ProjectSettings ObjectRef="1424"/>
                      <RootProjectItem ObjectRef="2"/>
                      <AudioCompileSettings ObjectRef="1447"/>
                      <Node Version="1">

The damaged file's first few lines are:

if(typeof(_sli_init )!='object'){var _sli_init=new Array();}
              if(typeof(sli_init )!='function'){function sli_init(){ for(var x=0;x<_sli_init.length;x++) _sli_init[x]();}}
              if(typeof(asPhrases)!='object'){ var asPhrases = new Array(); }
              if(typeof(__SLI_customisations)!='object'){var __SLI_customisations = new Object();}
              if(typeof(__SLI_ClientDefaults)!='object'){ var __SLI_ClientDefaults=[]; }
              if(typeof(__SLI_validSearchBoxes)!='object'){ var __SLI_validSearchBoxes = new Array(); }
              if(typeof(__SLI_asug_used_flag)!='object'){ var __SLI_asug_used_flag = false; }
              if(typeof(__SLI_width)!='object'){ var __SLI_width = 0; }
              if(typeof(sli_targeturl)!='object'){ var sli_targeturl = ""; }

I may try another file recovery app to see if anything's different. But I'm growing less optimistic by the hour.

As to how this happened, it's somewhat of a mystery that I can only chalk up to user error. I've been having memory allocation errors, and was deleting files from my HD prior to defragging. However, to the best of my knowledge I did not delete those files, and if I had, they'd still be in my unemptied recycle bin.

I'll keep plugging away, but as I said, my optimism is dwindling.

Thanks for the help. Definitely going to be changing the way I organize these files, and daily backups of video files are going to become routine.

• 4. Re: I hate disasters!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I have had good luck with Stellar-Phoenix for file recovery. Some years back, I had a major crash, and tried several recovery apps - some free and some not. None did much of anything, until I tried Stellar-Phoenix. While not 100%, it did recover about 60% of my Assets. I bought two licenses to their entire suite. Fortunately, I have not had to use it since - good insurance?

Good luck, and hope that you can recover both your Project files, and your Assets.

Hunt