5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 12:13 PM by coastalcourier

Evaluating Premiere 4 for AVCHD

coastalcourier

I am considering upgrading from Premiere in CS3 to 4 because of some new cameras we have bought. I was told the Premiere 4 would read the AVCHD (mts and m2ts) documents without any transcoding. However, the trial version of 4 I've downloaded does not recognize the mts. files. Does anyone know what is going on, or whether 4 doesn't read the format?

• 1. Re: Evaluating Premiere 4 for AVCHD
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Had you read the FAQ section, where it clearly states that MPEG is not supported in the trial version, you would have known this fact. You need the full version for that, but do not be embarrased, Adobe hid that info so well that you are now only number 3,786 to ask this.

You made a new record, and that on your first post!!! Congrats.

• 2. Re: Evaluating Premiere 4 for AVCHD
            coastalcourier Level 1

Thanks, Harm.

Actually even if I had read the FAQ I double I would have known that an MPEG and what I was asking about are the same things. I'm pretty new to this.

• 3. Re: Evaluating Premiere 4 for AVCHD
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Some call me a regular here and sometimes I forget what it was like to only start out with video editing, let alone with a complex but very capable program like PR. All too often I just assume at least some basic expertise when one opts for such a 'professional' oriented program, when access to WMM or Magix makes a lot more sense for - excuse the word - "noobs".

Yes, I admit, there was sarcasm in my tone, but - another of my many faults - no bluntness this time.

You may have to get accustomed to the tone here, but a lot of valuable information is exchanged here and a whole bunch of knowledge can be picked up by reading a lot.

Hopefully, no hard feelings.

• 4. Re: Evaluating Premiere 4 for AVCHD
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As Harm points out, AVCHD is MPEG (though MPEG is not necessarily AVCHD) and nothing MPEG is supported in the trial.

However, Adobe offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee. If you buy the program (full MPEG support and AVCHD specifically with the CS4.2 update), and do not like it, return it within 30 days for your money back.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - this ARTICLE might offer a bit of background on formats and CODEC's.

PPS - welcome to the forum!

• 5. Re: Evaluating Premiere 4 for AVCHD
                  coastalcourier Level 1

No, absolutely no hard feelings. I appreciate any and all  help/suggestions/criticism.