7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 3:12 AM by Reynolds (Mark)

Ability to stack commands before there finished

Merrilldavid

It would be nice if I could go ahead and run the several commands right after each other and queue them up instead of waiting for them to finish before i can access the menus and do another command.

• 1. Re: Ability to stack commands before there finished
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Which commands are You thinking of specifically?

Because with Filters for example (and several other operations) that would not seem feasible in any useful way.

• 2. Re: Ability to stack commands before there finished
            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Its not possible from your post to work out exactly what you are asking for. But its almost certain that the functionality that you are asking for already exists in Photoshop, you just need to know where it is.

Learn about Actions, Window > Actions. This allows you to record and run sequential steps, that can also be customized bring up dialogs when you need them. Any process can be automated in this way, a hugely powerful feature.

• 3. Re: Ability to stack commands before there finished
              carson.jones Level 1

While actions are fantastic and an essential part of our workflow, there are often times when it would be great to have the option to run multiple actions together without having to create new actions.  For example...

• Flatten

• Smart Sharpen

• Convert Profile

• Adjust output levels

• Convert to 8 bit

A series of combined actions resulting in a new formula or recipe.  Perhaps having a separate panel of Action Favorites that can be check marked randomly and run in combination without the need to wait for one action to finish before running another.  We could really use this in our workflow!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Ability to stack commands before there finished
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Are You willing to put some time into it?

Because then I would recommend looking into Scripting.

Maybe a Script for Action-combination already exists, but if it’s only such a small range of operations anyway it should be possible to create a checkbox-dialog to combine the tasks.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Ability to stack commands before there finished
                  Merrilldavid Level 1

Well actions are great but they don't always seem to lend themselves to a flexible workflow, and maybe scripts would work, I'm not overly familiar with them.  I'm a print provider and receive large files from many sources and they need different things done to them.  Many times I'm working with single or small quantities that don't seem to be worth the trouble of making actions.  If I was able to stack certain commands it would allow me a more organic workflow, in which I could make different decisions on the fly.  The commands I was interested would vary from job to job, but some would be: Flatten, Convert to Profile, Convert to 8bit, Smart Sharpen, common adjustments, levels, curves, hue, etc.., I'm sure there are others that I'm just not thinking of at the time.

Marcus

• 6. Re: Ability to stack commands before there finished
                    carson.jones Level 1

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

Are You willing to put some time into it?

Because then I would recommend looking into Scripting.

Maybe a Script for Action-combination already exists, but if it’s only such a small range of operations anyway it should be possible to create a checkbox-dialog to combine the tasks.

I would have to learn how to write scripts before being able to create one for this type of task.  I did do a quick search for an introduction to scripting however I would welcome anyone's suggestions also.

The example I provided was short and to the point in that it was a short list.  That said, we have dozens of actions that we use regularly.  It would be fantastic if PS allowed us to select actions on the fly and run them together in any configuration.

• 7. Re: Ability to stack commands before there finished
                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Merrill …

The commands I was interested would vary from job to job, but some
                      would be: Flatten, Convert to Profile, Convert to 8bit, Smart Sharpen,
                      common adjustments, levels, curves, hue, etc..

This suggests that Actions are precisely the feature you are looking for. Above are linear steps that can easily be automated with Actions.

Actions tips…

• To have customizable Actions - Individual Steps can be turned on or off using the small tick icons beside the Action steps. record all the potential steps you may need in a single Action, and then toggle the steps. In this way you can tailor a Master Action very quickly to do anything you want.

• Actions can run each other. Its possible to call one action from within another. This may be your solution to "It would be fantastic if PS allowed us to select actions on the fly and run them together in any configuration."

• Actions and Action steps can be dragged around, moved and deleted very easily. Duplicated by Alt dragging them. Its reasonably easy to alter Actions on the fly within the panel.

• Actions are not always merely recordings of linear steps, they can be adapted while running - This icon brings up dialogs that can be changed whilst running the action. Very easy to operate

Picture 18.png