17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 2:06 PM by h m shantz

Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs

h m shantz

A 4" x 3" canvas @ 200 ppi with photos pasted on it in Photoshop Elements makes a nice TV image in a Premiere Elements DVD.

Switching to Widescreen shows, I thought, would simply be starting with a 16" x 9" @ 150 ppi canvas with photos in Elements,

openeing a new project in Premiere 6 (and later Premiere 8), set preferences to "D1, DV,Widescreen. NTSC",

set burn to "Widescreen", and that would do it.

Instead, circles are all ovals on the TV, and people are short and fat.

I have scoured the Help files for guidance on what seems like such a basic question without success.

What am I missing?

Murray

• 1. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you tips for sizing still images for Video. With Video, it is only the pixel x pixel dimensions that count. DPI/PPI mean nothing. Now, the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) does matter.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
            h m shantz Level 1

Thanks for the really speedy "advanced" response to my "rookie"  question but I still don't know how to solve the WIDESCREEN distortion question.

1) What should the pixel x pixel dimensions of a canvas in Photoshop be to avoid "short fat people"  in Premiere?

2) What should the PAR be to avoid this, and how do you set it?

Thanks again

Murray

• 3. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Don't change the pixel aspect ratio. Leave it square. Premiere Elements will conform it for you.

As for the dimensions, the biggest challenge is that your photos are 4:3 and you want to fit them into a 16:9 space. That means, in order to fit it width-wise, you're going to have to lose some from the tops and bottoms of your photos. Is that the effect you want?

If so, just open a widescreen DV project and ensure that Default Scale to Frame Size is turned off in your preferences (under the Edit menu). If your photos are sized to 1000x750 pixels, per our recommendations, they should fill your frame and still have a little room for panning and zooming, if you want to add it.

• 4. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
                h m shantz Level 1

I think I am almost there. Thanks for your patience.

To repeat, since I paste several pictures onto each canvas, my question is about CANVAS dimensions. Not picture dimensions.

So if I open a new blank sheet, set the Preset  to "Film & Video", set the size to "NTSC Widescreen Square pixels" and  paste my pictures on it - - -

circles should be round on the computer monitor and also round on the TV. Can it really be that simple?

And as a bonus, I assume the blue lines are safe margins so I don't place text or images near the edges where the TV crops them off.

I have been trying for over a year to "graduate" from 4:3 to 16:9. Hope the above conclusion is correct.

Thank you again

Murray

• 5. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Murray,

If you chose the NTSC Widescreen Preset w/ Guides, there will be two sets of rectangles: the outer one is the Action-safe Area and the inner one is the Title-safe Area. The outer one is to allow for possible overscan by a CRT TV. Newer TV's are more like what were referred to as NTSC Monitors, which showed 100% of the picture. Most users did not have these, and their TV's would cut off differing amounts of screen real estate. In those days, there were also things like timing markers and color calibration bars, out in that area. A TV station could use them, but the average viewer never saw them.

Nowadays, those Guides are just suggestions. Some users will see 100%, and some only the areas within that outer Guide. For any text, it's still a good idea to keep those inside the inner Guide, the Title-safe Area, so that no matter what sort of TV, they are watching on, they can easily read the entire Title.

If one is worried about ALL viewers, go for the Action-safe and Title-safe Guides, and just give the newer TV owners something nice to look at. This is exactly the same when using vertical images in a Video SlideShow. I will either Crop these to the horizontal Frame Size, or will create an artistic and often abstract "background," and then use the full vertical image. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on doing something like that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs

Shantz, it sounds like you may be asking for something very different than we thought you were asking for.

You keep talking about adding several photos to a "canvas." Canvas is a word that's uniquely applied to Photoshop, not Premiere Elements.

Are you trying to place several pictures so that they appear in your video at once -- like the faces of the cast in the opening of "The Brady Bunch"?

• 7. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
                      h m shantz Level 1

That miscommunication was evident. Thanks for the effort and the note  - - here is my story.

I use Photoshop Elements (PSE) to prepare frames for using later in Adobe Premiere Elements (APE).

The  PSE preparation includes color tweaking , filters, cropping, vignetting (I hate rectangular pictures) etc. of individual photos like    the Airport, the plane,  my wife sleeping on the plane.  I then open a Blank file (Canvas),  add a texture, solid color, gradient, clouds or whatever as a background. Onto that decorated Canvas I paste these 3 edited photos, embellish them with Layer Styles like bevel edges, speech balloons, clip art, text, etc.  and file the finished product in My Pictures\Chile Trip.   Repeat 100 or so times and that ends the Photoshop editing

I then open APE and load all the picture from Chile Trip and do the timing, add music, etc. etc. and that ends the Premiere editing, and the DVD is burned.

By a somewhat torturous course your responses have actually lead to "sort of" an answer to the Wide Screen issue.  My earlier idea of using a "NTSC Widescreen  Square Pixel" canvas didn't work. The people are all normal on the PSE screen and on the APE monitor, Preview Screen, and menu buttons but are all fat and short on the TV.   But at least in PSE 6.0. (See below) I can open either a "NTSC D1 Widescreen", or a "NTSC DV  Widescreen" canvas, paste photos onto it that are NOT distorted on the screen, load them into APE where they ARE distorted in the Monitor, Preview Screen, and Menu Buttons  (not critical)    But    on the TV are NOT distorted.             MY GOAL ! !

Thanks for your help.

Regards     Murray

Is there a preference between D1 and DV Widescreen?

Will D1 and DV Widescreen be fixed in PSE 8.0? When I try to use them , I get the message "picture will be distorted     use a video monitor".

• 8. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

What is your output - DVD-Video? If so, you will want to use the NTSC-DV Widescreen with a PAR = 1.2 (now correctly seen as 1.212 in PrPro CS4). If something else, let us know that output.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs

As I've said, Murray. You'll find your work much easier if you stop using presets for your photo files that change the pixel aspect ratio (as the DV Widescreen, etc., will).

Just manually create a canvas that's 855 pixels x 480 pixels and arrange your photos on it. (Using the default settings, this file should be at 72 dpi and should use square pixels.)

Your resultant collage should fit perfectly into widescreen DV video frame -- and, since you'll be allowing Premiere Elements to automatically conform the square pixels to video pixels, it should look identical to the original collage you created in Photoshop Elements.

• 11. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
                            h m shantz Level 1

Is there possibly another step in this process?                 I still

can't get this to work.

In PhotoShop Elements 6.0, I click  File>New>Blank file. Give it a name, set

Preset to "Custom", enter nothing for "size", enter "855" for  pixel Width,

enter "480" for pixel Height, enter "72" for Resolution, "RGB" and

"Background" and then paste some photos on it.

I open a new project in  Premiere Elements, set it  to "Widescreen", add the

photo, burn the DVD, and get short fat people and oval "circles" on the TV.

Surely everyone who "graduates" from 4:3 shows to 16:9 solved this issue.

What did they do?

Thanks again

Murray

• 12. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
                              nealeh Level 5

h m shantz wrote:

I open a new project in  Premiere Elements, set it  to "Widescreen", add the

photo,

How exactly are you adding the photo in PRE?

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
                                h m shantz Level 1

I move them into the Organizer then drag them to the Scene Line. Is there any other way? Suggestions?

Thanks

• 14. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
                                  Paul787 Level 3

You may want to double-check the output settings on your DVD player. Sometimes they will throw your aspect display off. Also, it may be a setting on your TV's remote control. For example, the Panasonic plasma TV  I use has an "Aspect" button on it's remote control, which if not set properly, will display my 16:9 format DVDs improperly.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 15. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
                                    nealeh Level 5

h m shantz wrote:

I move them into the Organizer then drag them to the Scene Line. Is there any other way? Suggestions?

Just some random thoughts really. In PSE7 there is a specific feature to SEND a still image to PRE but your comment that you MOVE it into Organizer suggests to me that you are saving the image from PSE somewhere and then manually bringing it into PRE. If this is so I wonder if you would get a better result if you used the in-built feature. If you are using PSE8/PRE8 I thought it had an integrated Organizer so again I'm not understanding why you had to MOVE the image into PRE.

still1.png

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale
                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 16. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
                                      h m shantz Level 1

-

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2736 - Release Date: 03/11/10 02:33:00

• 17. Re: Editing Photoshop stills for Wide Screen Premiere DVDs
                                        h m shantz Level 1
                                        I don't seem to have any problem creating/burning the DVD but the distortiion on the TV. In PSE 6.0 I created 3 pictures and burned a test DVD with the following results.
                                        Picture #1. A JPEG collage (a series of circles) on a  855x480 canvas. It  displays accurately in the Monitor screen, the Preview screen  and on the Menu Buttons in Premiere Elements.  On the TV, however, the "circles"  are fat ovals.
                                        Picture #2 A JPEG photograph cropped to 16 x 9 with some  circles added. It also looks good on the PRE preview screens but again, are ovals on the  TV
                                        Picture #3. Several  circles  pasted on a "DV Widescreen" canvas. They appear as ovals in the  Premiere Elements screens and Menu buttons- -  but are perfect circles on the  TV.
                                        Since the goal is an accurate image on the  TV screen, this might be the only way to get there unless there are some  other "tricks".
                                        Thanks for the note
                                        Murray
                                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                                        This  message was sent to: h m shantz

To post a reply to the thread message,  either reply to this email or visit the message page:
                                        http://forums.adobe.com/message/2653959#2653959

--end--

No virus found in this incoming  message.
                                        Checked by AVG -

www.avg.com

Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2736 - Release Date: 03/11/10  02:33:00