10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 5:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Program constantly freezes

ricolacandy

I'm editing a one-hour video but even when I'm trying to do something as simple as adding subtitles the program freezes on me. Within an hour it has frozen about 6 times today. Previously I was editing clips that were no more than 2-3 minutes long and I didn't come across issues like this.

This is only a 2-month old computer that I bought specificly to use with the Adobe Elements 8 software I just purchased. I'm not a computer whiz, so maybe I chose the wrong computer?  The specs are:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 (2.5GHz, 4MB), 500GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard     Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB      DataBurst Cache, Integrated Intel GMA X4500HD  Graphics, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 (64-bit).

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Program constantly freezes
          nealeh Level 5

Only having a single hard disk creates problems, but lets check out other possibilities first:

• are your drivers (PC, video and sound) up to date?
          • do you have all windows updates installed?
          • have you installed the latest QuickTime version?
          • what is the source of your footage?
          • how did you get it onto your PC?

This will help                                        Got a problem? Here's how best to ask for help.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Program constantly freezes
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When the program freezes/crashes with Transitions, Titles or Effects, it is most often the video driver. Go to your card's mfgr's. site and download the very latest one.

Also, note that Intel is very, very slow at issuing new drivers. They are often a year behind, where nVidia and ATI might have 8-9 updated drivers. Also, Intel graphics chips/cards do not work all that well with any Adobe program, especially the NLE's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Program constantly freezes
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm leaning more toward Neale's suggestion that this is related to the type of camcorder the video came from and how he got it into his computer.

• 4. Re: Program constantly freezes
                the_wine_snob Level 9

We should know, when Ricola reports back.

@ Ricolacandy, good luck, and please let us know the answers to Neale's questions.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Program constantly freezes
                  ricolacandy Level 1

My footage is pre-edited material. The files look like this:

files.png

I copied the footage from a DVD-R onto my desktop.

I'll make sure Quicktime and the various drivers are updated. By the way, I was again using the program and received the message "Adobe Premiered Elements is running low on system memory."

• 6. Re: Program constantly freezes
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For the "resources" issue, this ARTICLE might give you tips on setting up the computer, especially for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Program constantly freezes
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

When working with VOB's there are some things to consider. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Program constantly freezes
                        nealeh Level 5

ricolacandy wrote:

I'm editing a one-hour video but even when I'm trying to do something as simple as adding subtitles

I take it then that your DVD-R HAS been successfully imported to PRE. This being the case the very first thing you should do is (from Share> Personal Computer) export as DV-AVI. Then start a new project and load in that DV-AVI file.

PRE, as you will have seen if you've scanned other posts, is very fussy about what formats it can edit. The important word there is EDIT. We see lots of posts along the lines of "Windows Media Player plays it fine, why not PRE?". It's because WMP only plays footage - it is not an editing program.

So use PRE to convert the DVD to DV-AVI and then work with the converted file. For more information take a look at  DVD - VOB Files - The Lowdown

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Program constantly freezes
                          AdelaidePeter

Hi Readers,

Regarding the suggestion about making intermediate DV AVIs, I tried this on AVI clips captured in MainConcept AG AVC (Adobe2) DV/H.264 codec.

Actually Version 7.4.0.46599 (Build 2008-06-11). Its Main Settings include 10 frames per second keyframe every 100 frames AVC Preset: HD 1280x720p Video Format: PAL Baseline Profile Level Auto Picture Type Frame. This clips have good sharp resolution - originally 1264 * 1080 or thereabouts.

I can not seem to get anything like suitable clarity with the DV AVIs? I can however with Windows Media Format using a PAL SD 720 25 FPS. Should they be as workable and stable? They take a terribly long time to render into an export though :-( but I am running out of options.

When my system starts freezing up, or worst goes ghostly white, I know it is struggling with system resources (and I do have all my scratch disks on the D: drive and a good deal of page swapping area on my C: drive). Removing temp file clutter, defrag and restart is the only way to avoid a mental breakdown - every couple of days!

If your PC has a high end GPU (or you buy and install one) then, check out the driver editions for compatibility. NVidia needs one after 195.81 for Adobe PrE8 compatibility, but the latest version differs with the card!

Sometimes these 500GB hard drives they sell are actually two drives. If you find this is true, set up scratch disks on D: and ideally de-install and re-install the PrE8application, with the extras, and then download updates via the help menu - ideally from a different Adobe product like Photoshop 8's help menu (that will get them for all Adobe products and then PrE8 won't be using it and in the way.

You need to turn off as many asynchronous processes like widgets, update helpers, backup helpers and the like as you can - even going so far as to disconnect the internet. I wish Adobe would incorporate a control panel that let's you do just that - toggle resource competitors off and on. They would just have to get Symantic & McAfee to collaborate with them to make this feasible. Hey, I might put that to Adobe as a suggestion! It would also be good if they made it easier to clean out old projects and properly deleted clips you delete - it keeps asking for ones you have intentionally deleted for all eternity.

Good Luck

Adelaide Peter

• 10. Re: Program constantly freezes
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I wish Adobe would incorporate a control panel that let's you do just that - toggle resource competitors off and on. They would just have to get Symantic & McAfee to collaborate with them to make this feasible.

This is an OS/user function, and should stay as such. The user has other options, many of which are outlined in this ARTICLE. Personally, I do not want my NLE program killing programs and Processes. A lot of horror can ensue. What if PrE kills my AV, my spysweeper and pop-up blocker, without my knowledge, and I need to access a Web site to download some SFX file? What happens if that is a bad site, and I get a Trojan, or WORM, because I did not know that PrE had killed all defenses? If I do it myself, or with a utility program, then I know.

Sorry, but I heartily disagree with you on this. I do not want any program messing with my OS, unless I direct it to do so, and only when I tell it to do so.

Good luck,

Hunt