2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2010 3:23 AM by Bert9911

Layout issue: banner and main text not aligned (help a dufus please)

Bert9911

Hi folks, I am tearing my hair out here (which isn't a good thing because I've been told it is getting thin anyway)

I am a Dreamweaver noobie and I have followed the online check_magazine tutorial. That was okay, but when I went to make my own page, I got problems. All I want is a fixed banner and navigation panel, and immediately underneath that I want a main text that will have variable scroll length according to content. When I am in the design mode it looks okay here:

Bert Layout Prob.jpg

But as soon as I click live, the main text disappears under the banner. I cannot tell where I have gone wrong. Here is a link to my page:

http://www.student.city.ac.uk/~abhm364/P1/index2.html

The css is as follows:

@charset "utf-8";
      /* CSS Document */

#container {
          background-color: B2D7E7;
          height: auto;
          width: 1280px;
          left: 0px;
          top: 0px;
      }
      #banner {
          position: fixed;
          height: 180px;
          left: 0px;
          top: 0px;
          background-image: url(Banner.jpg);
      }
      #main_text {
          font-family: "Palatino Linotype", "Book Antiqua", Palatino, serif;
          font-size: medium;
          background-color: #B2D7E7;
          height: auto;
          top: 181px;
      }

The banner is 1280 x 180 and I want the main text to start immediately from 181 down to auto. I will have the background of the main text the same colour as the bottom of the banner so it is seamless. At the end I'll put a spry menu bar in the bottom part of the banner.

Can anyone please tell me where I have been a dufus? I am pretty sure I have been, but cannot identify where, I just know he no worky!