3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2010 4:10 PM by face000

How to listen for DRM events with the spark VideoPlayer

face000

Hello,

I have a custom video player that handles DRM via NetConnection() and NetStream().     I want to replace it with the new spark VideoPlayer component.   However, I can't figure out how to attach the DRM listeners.     I need to listen for DRMAuthenticateEvent.DRM_AUTHENTICATE events but I can't find anything in the VideoPlayer or VideoDisplay classes that gives me access to the NetStream.

Is it possible for the spark VideoPlayer to use Adobe's DRM?   I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Thank you,

-R. McIntosh

• 1. Re: How to listen for DRM events with the spark VideoPlayer
          FTQuest Level 3

Hi,

I believe you can access NetStream() through 'videoObject' property of the VideoPlayer.

Also, if you want to control access to your media based on user account status, rather than on specific video title, you could do it through HTTPService call to the server to check the status of the account/session.

My two cents,

FT

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to listen for DRM events with the spark VideoPlayer
            face000 Level 1

Thanks FTQuest.     The VideoObject is a flash.media.Video object and has a attachNetStream() method.    I tried attaching my own stream but that didn't seem to work.

Unfortunately I can not use a http service because the media is encrypted using adobe Live Cycle so I must use the DRM events.

Last night I did make some progress by violating the public the API and using mx_internal to access the videoplayer, which is a osmf MediaPlayer class.     This looks promising but I'm still working through the details.     It is odd because the osmf has code for DRM that is config flash 10.1 and the NetStream DRM support is part of flash 9.    Not sure why the flash 10.1 limits for the DRM events...

Thanks,

-Rama McIntosh

• 3. Re: How to listen for DRM events with the spark VideoPlayer
              face000 Level 1

I read and modified the code so I can now answer my own question:

OSMF supports DRM in flash 10.1 only and ignores the events in earlier versions of flash.    I monkey patched the OSMF to pass the DRM events up to my app.   I access the OSMF classes via mx_internal.... and now life is good.     A little bit of monkey patching and the spark video player supports Adobe's DRM.