11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 10:25 PM by pixlor

Animated gif query

Streetwitch Level 1

Is it possible to set up a very simple animated gif (a series of photos) but using the transitions available in the slideshow options?  I understand how to use states to set the gif up but would like more interesting transitions.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Animated gif query
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Something like that is best done in Flash. Photos don't work wewll in GIF animation because the GIF format is limited to 256 colors. The photos would come out looking posterized, at best, plus the file size of the final animation would be prohibitively large.

• 2. Re: Animated gif query
            Streetwitch Level 1

HI, and thanks, but I'm happy with the quality of the photos and since I don't have Flash this isn't really an option....  I really just want to know whether there is any way of adding transition effects with Fireworks?

• 3. Re: Animated gif query
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

The slideshow transition effects cannot be applied to a GIF animation, though you could create them yourself. Convert each image to an animation symbol (Modify > Symbol > Convert to Symbol)  and use the animation wizard to fade, or rotate, move, or enlarge or shrink them. You can then export from Fireworks in SWF (Flash) format.  Choose File > Save As > Adobe Flash SWF. Click on the Options button and choose the settings you like.

• 4. Re: Animated gif query
                Streetwitch Level 1

That's great, I didn't know about that - I'll have a go.

Thanks very much

• 5. Re: Animated gif query
                  Streetwitch Level 1

Hi, still struggling with this.  I'm having difficulty finding out how to use the animation wizard and am not managing very well with trial and error....is there any tutorial you could recommend, which would cover the transition effects?

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Animated gif query
                    daaave Level 2

why not just google for a free image rotator? you're trying to do something with gifs that they are not suited to

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Animated gif query
                      Streetwitch Level 1

HI thanks, will do, didn't realise there was any such thing.  In the meantime though, I'd still like to know where to find the animation wizard and

how to use it for the effects described in the previous answer, if anyone can help,

Thanks!

• 8. Re: Animated gif query
                        Linda Nicholls Level 4

After you convert an image to a symbol (Modify > Symbol > Convert to Symbol) a dialog box pops up asking you whether you want to convert the symbol to an image, a button, or an animation. If you select Animation, the Animation wizard pops up enabling you to set the properties you like for the animation.Here's a video on creating an animation in FW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLurghv5Muc

• 9. Re: Animated gif query
                          Streetwitch Level 1

That's great, many thanks.

• 10. Re: Animated gif query
                            Streetwitch Level 1

Hi, this is a note to daaave -  thanks again for your response, which was particularly helpful. Its pointed me to something which I've been looking for for a while, but didn't know the correct terminology so wasn't googling the right question.  Any chance you would be able to help with something else?  I've been trying, again via a Fireworks gif, to get an image to slide smoothly from the top to the bottom of the page, and am now wondering whether I'm trying to make the gif do something its not designed to do.  Do you know whether there's a name for this kind of thing, that I could google?

Thanks!

• 11. Re: Animated gif query
                              pixlor Level 4

Streetwitch wrote:

...  I've been trying, again via a Fireworks gif, to get an image to slide smoothly from the top to the bottom of the page, and am now wondering whether I'm trying to make the gif do something its not designed to do.  Do you know whether there's a name for this kind of thing, that I could google?

You might try looking at jQuery (a JavaScript library) That's exactly the kind of stuff it does nicely.