18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 3:37 PM by Harm Millaard

CS4 Pro - missing clips

givingupusa Level 1

I opened up my project and found my moving clips  are missing.  The still pictures and some music I added are there, but I lost my live clips even though the sound bar is there with no sound

• 1. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          found my moving clips  are missing

Have they moved to another country, state or disk?

• 2. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When you Opened this Project, did you get a dialog screen, asking "Where is file XXXXX.AVI?" If so, did you navigate to the location and choose it, or did you make any other choice, like Ignore All?

Are your motion Assets on an external HDD?

Tell us all that you can about your system, especially where files are stored, and then your Project and Assets themselves.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
              givingupusa Level 1

My project is stored on my external hard drive.  My project opened up the same way it usually does.  There was no message as the one you mentioned Bill.

• 4. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Are the actual AV files still located on the external HDD, and are they in the same location?

Remember, a PrPro Project file (the PRPROJ) does not contain ANY of your Assets, but only an XML database of links and instructions.

In your Project Panel, twirl Open all of the Bins. Do you see those AV files listed there? If so, what is the icon for each? When you Dbl-click on these, do they play in the Source Monitor?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                  givingupusa Level 1

Here is what I have been trying out.  I downloaded the original clips and then imported them to the present project.  These clips as well have the Asian read notices.  I double clicked the clips in the project panel and nothing happened.  I dragged an original clip at the end of the tmeline and the clip still had the red Asian notice.

I am aware that if I delete any of the clips or still pictures (assets?) from the file where they are being stored, they automatically disappear from my CS4 Pro project and they are replaced with the Asian notice.  For the life of me I do not remember deleting the original file.  I went over and over in my recycle bin to see if it would be there and it was not.

One other thing I did was uninstall and reinstalled my CS4 Pro software.  No change.

Oh, the audio bar still appears on the timeline under these Asian notices. Is it time for me to call India?

• 6. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are getting the Media Offline, as soon as you Import the footage into PrPro, something is definitely wrong. It could be the files themselves, or it could be PrPro.

Next thing that I would do would be to run these files through the great, free utility, G-SPOT and see what it tells yous about the files. Please share that info with us.

As for calling India, I'd hold that as a last resort. The first 10 calls will likely get you the script, "Uninstall, then reinstall." It will not be until the 11th call, that they bother to tell you to run the Adobe Clean Script CS4 several times, with reboots each time, between the uninstall and the reinstall.

Good luck, and let us know what G-Spot tells you.

Hunt

• 7. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                      givingupusa Level 1

Bill,

Can you show me a diagram of where the G-SPOT isf?

• 8. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Have you ever encountered the name "Google"? http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 9. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                          shooternz Level 6

Bill ...can you draw the guy a diagram.  Heres the reference.  (Bet this dont last long)  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Spot

• 10. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry. I thought that I had linked to it HERE.

Here's a look at the screen with an AV file loaded:

G-Spot_Screen_02.jpg

That screen-cap was for a particular Audio issue, so ignore some of the annotations.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                              givingupusa Level 1

I'm not a guy.  I'm a person who just needed assistance in pulling

my project back together.  You were not nice.

• 12. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                                givingupusa Level 1

Bill,

This diagram does not look familiar to me.  I did, however, go to the websites for the G/Spots and I think it has been downloaded onto my system. I think I also had codecs installed.  I don't even know how to use these, not how to find them on my computer.  Are they programs that run behind the scenes?

• 13. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

All other things aside, does that attached screen-cap help? There is a bit of info that will be presented to you, but fortunately it is arranged pretty well. Rather than write it all down, if you can attach a screen-cap with your file in it, we can gather that data easily, as most of us use the program often so are used to looking in certain spots.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 14. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                                    givingupusa Level 1

If there is anyone who is trying to make sense out of something that makes sense, it's me.  Now that I've installed codecs, not kotex, and the G-Spot (computer spot), how does it work with CS4 Pro.  I need instructions 1. to find them, 2nd how to use them in my project.  Help!

• 15. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK. G-Spot is a stand-alone utility. It does not work directly with PrPro, but with you. When you launch it, it will first survey your system for properly installed CODEC's. Now, with either the File>Open, or just a drag from Windows Explorer, you Open your AV file in it. Instantly, it will process your file to gather the info from its header, and display this info, for you to use in your Project/Sequence Preset. Here, I'd take note of things like the Frame Size, Frame Rate and the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio), as there will be a "test." In PrPro, if one does not find a Preset, that matches the source footage 100%, they would choose Desktop, which will allow them to customize the settings. Here's that "test," that I promised. With the Desktop Preset, you will have a dialog screen that looks a lot like the ones with other Presets, but there is a difference - the settings can be altered, and you will want to fill in the various attributes, that you jotted down from G-Spot.

Now, G-Spot does more than this. Along with the above data, it will tell you what the CODEC is, that was used to create the file, and also tell you if you have that installed (note: you will likely have one for the video and one for the audio, shown in different spots on the screen). If you do not, look at the name of the CODEC, and Google it. Here's a caveat: I am a big fan of getting my CODEC's from the source, even if I have to pay for it. I am not a fan of any "free" CODEC's, if a commercial version exists. I am also not a fan of any CODEC "packs," as they often cause more issues, than they fix. They also usually load a bunch of junk that you do not need, nor do you want it. Last, some CODEC's are free, like the Lagarith Lossless. There is nothing wrong with free, but if the CODEC was designed by, say MainConcept, and someone in Russia offers the same thing for free, at best that one is a hacked, or reverse-engineered version of the MainConcept one. That is where "free" can be a poor choice.

G-Spot is not through yet. In my diagram, you will see some numbered boxes in the middle-left of the screen. Those will allow you to Render the Audio and the Video, and then play that in a tiny playback window. One would normally start with the left-hand column and hit the 1. When that displays, the 2 will highlight, so hit that. Look for error messages to the right of this little numbered matrix. If all goes well, the 3 will highlight, so hit that. Then, if all went well, you can play the rendered version of your file in the little monitor. Note: often one does not need to render the audio, but you can do that too.

Last, G-Spot has a neat feature, with one flaw - Tables. Remember when I said that when you launch it, it surveys your system? Look under Tables, to see all properly installed CODEC's, either audio, or video. That one flaw is with its identifying the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's. To protect them from being overwritten by other programs, or other CODEC's, Adobe uses a different naming convention, than G-Spot is looking for. What this means is that it will throw false-positives for the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's being broken or corrupt. Ignore those messages, as they are wrong. The same thing happens with Sherlock the CODEC Detective - false-positives for the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                                        givingupusa Level 1

Bill, I have a program where you can come into my computer.  Is that something you'd be willing to do so that I can see what you are talking about?

• 17. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd be very afraid that I might mess something up. For hardware and setup issues, Harm Millaard is the resident expert. I do not mind tearing into my own computer, but am very, very shy of doing it with another's machine, even if I am sitting right there with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: CS4 Pro - missing clips
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Before taking remote control of your PC it may be wise to look at the second included link in this post: Some suggestions...

and include the requested screenshots and attach the requested files. Speedfan, Process Explorer, DXDIAG etc.

I'll have a look and get back to you.

BTW, you using Dameware?