7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2010 7:32 AM by the_wine_snob

Support for  MPEG-1 Layer 2 in Premiere Elements 8 ?

erwin95

Hello.

I have PRE 8, updated to 8.01.

I have a multimedia disk recorder which is recording .MPG files with MPEG-2 video and  MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio, as seen with GSpot.

When I import this file in PRE8, I see no audio in the timeline.

Properties of the file as seen in PRE8 does not show any audio.

I checked with VLC, it plays fine.

I checked with VirtualDub, it plays fine.

I checked with the Windows Media Player, no sound ..

I have ffdshow installed.

If anybody can help, from your point of view, is there:

1) Something missing on my system or not properly configured in terms of available codecs ?

2) Something bad in the .MPG file, although GSpot doesn't show any problem ?

3) Simply lack of support for MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio in PRE8 ?

Any advice ?

Thanks, Erwin95

• 1. Re: Support for  MPEG-1 Layer 2 in Premiere Elements 8 ?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the Sample-rate and Bit-depth of that MPEG Audio?

Now, Adobe NLE's (Non Linear Editors) have problems with MPEG Audio, especially muxed Audio.

Probably the easiest way to handle this, if PrE cannot Conform that Audio to 48KHz 32-bit Floating Point for editing, would be to rip the Audio. I use Adobe Audition, but the free audio-editor, Audacity, can do this too. Just Save_As/Export to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit and Import that Audio-only file into PrE. Drag it to an open Audio Track, and align it with the Video.

Note: there is a great deal of difference between simply playing a file, and editing that same file. Also, players like VLC have their own CODEC's, which on one hand is great, as they play so very much and do it well, but can be confusing, when other programs, whether players, or editors, cannot play/edit that same file.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Support for  MPEG-1 Layer 2 in Premiere Elements 8 ?
            erwin95 Level 1

How fast ... :-) Thank you, that is helping.

Audio is "0xc0:48000Hz  256 kb/s tot , Stereo" as reported by GSpot.

I used DGIndex of DGMPGDec to Demux audio and video. Got a .m2v and a .mp2 file who is said to be "-780 ms delay".

I imported both in the timeline of PRE8, and all is fine.

So just one last question: I assume I have to somewhat shift the Audio track by 780 ms relative to the video track in the timeline.

Any advice on the best way to do that in PRE, so that this is exactly 780 ms ?

And which direction should that be ? Audio 780 ms before video, or Audio 780 ms after the video ?

Thanks much, erwin95.

• 3. Re: Support for  MPEG-1 Layer 2 in Premiere Elements 8 ?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hunt may have another recommendation -- but I think all this tweaking is just going to take you farther from a solution rather than closer.

Take your original MPEG and use MPEG Streamclip to convert it to a DV-AVI, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

If you use the specs in the FAQ, your converted file should work perfectly and predictably.

Otherwise, you're just taking shots in the dark.

• 4. Re: Support for  MPEG-1 Layer 2 in Premiere Elements 8 ?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you tips on correcting any OOS. Pay special attention to turning OFF Snap (S key in PrPro, and probably the same in PrE, or click the Snap icon). If you do not turn it OFF, you have a real fight on your hands. Just do NOT forget to turn it back ON for the rest of the editing, or you'll be fighting a different fight.

With this latency, you will probably find that you are 3-4 Frames off, but check carefully. Your OOS should be static, at least for anything but very long Clips, so if you do find that, say 4 Frames offset works, you will probably be off by that same amount for the rest of the Clips. Here is hoping that it's that simple. The article goes into detail on how to work with dynamic OOS. Just more work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Support for  MPEG-1 Layer 2 in Premiere Elements 8 ?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I always agree that nipping any OOS in the bud is far superior to fixing it later on.

I use a different conversion program, and do just as you suggest - DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV, which edits fine in Premiere on both the Audio & Video side of things.

When one thinks about it, that is basically what PrE is doing internally - converting to DV-AVI Type II, w/ first 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, that is Conformed to 32-bit Floating Point for editing. Doing this outside of PrE saves time, processing power, eliminates many problems, like OOS. Since it's being done anyway, I feel that it's best to do it FOR PrE, rather than within PrE, but that is just me. Do not know if MPEGStream Clip does batch conversion, but if it does, just load it up, check your settings, start it, get a cup of coffee, and when you return, you'll have a folder full of DV-AVI Type II's, ready to be Imported.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Support for  MPEG-1 Layer 2 in Premiere Elements 8 ?
                    erwin95 Level 1

I guess you forgot the link to ARTICLE , I am not seeing any link in my browser (or let me know if I am that stupid !).

By the way, I confirm that S does turn on and off Snap. And yes, this is a static delay.

Erwin95.

• 7. Re: Support for  MPEG-1 Layer 2 in Premiere Elements 8 ?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry about that. This is the third time in two days, that the forum software has omitted my link!

This is the ARTICLE.

Good luck, and I apologize.

Hunt .