20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 6:05 AM by Ealann10

Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8

bojomo

I am trying out Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 on a 30 day trial. When movie making I tried to add a video to my movie. When I play the video clip by itself it works fine. When I try to put it into a movie the video and audio are out of sync. Can someone please help me figure out what the problem is?

Thank You,

Bojomo

• 1. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This can happen with some file formats.

What type of camcorder is this video coming from?

MPEGs, in particular, can benefit by converting them to DV-AVIs before you bring them into Premiere Elements, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
            bojomo Level 1

Steve,

I am not using a camcorder. I am using a Canon Powershot G-7 camera. This uses an AVI format. Does this help?

Bojomo

• 3. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
              nealeh Level 5

Where does the footage come from and how did you get it onto your PC?

These articles are likely to prove helpful:

Got a problem? Here's how best to ask for help.

How can I improve the odds that I'll have success with Premiere Elements 8?

What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?

PS: Just seen your reply to Steve. You should definitely follow the 'What tools can I use ...' link above.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Added PS

• 4. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately does not tell us nearly enough to go on. It is but a "wrapper," and can contain all sorts of stuff. This ARTICLE will first give you some background on "wrappers," and then will tell you how to use the great, free utility, G-Spot, to "peek" inside those wrappers. Note: AVI is not alone. It's the same with MOV, WMV, MPEG and others.

From the sound of it, I'd just guess that your AVI is either Xvid, or DivX, but other CODEC's can cause similar issues. Post the screen from G-Spot and someone will recognize the CODEC, and most likely be able to tell you how to proceed. MJPEG is another possibility, and it could well be that you will need to get a different MJPEG CODEC for the files. We can give you recs. if that is the case. Keep the idea of converting the files firmly in your mind, as that might be the best course of action.

Good luck, and let us know what is inside that AVI "wrapper."

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some background on CODEC's, the "building blocks" of AV files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Just found the format/CODEC. It's MJPEG, just like my wife's G-9. There are two popular MJPEG CODEC's, the Morgan and the MainConcept. Many users have been able to natively edit MJPEG files in PrE and PrPro, with one of these CODEC's. Still, there is the conversion route.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                      bojomo Level 1

Bill,

I'm not sure about all of this but the gum analogy seemed to clarify some of it. I downloaded G-Spot and have attached a copy of the screen and will try to post it. The software is new, the problems are new and working with your support is new. My mind is reeling. Thanks for trying to help.

Bojomo

• 8. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                        bojomo Level 1

Neale,

The footage comes from my Powershot Canon G-7 camera which I downloaded to my computer from my camera. I will read the articles you suggested. Thanks

Bojomo

• 9. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                          bojomo Level 1

Thanks to all of you who responded to my cry for help. I am reading all the articles that were suggested. I also downloaded G-Spot as suggested and I think I am posting the outcome for one of my AVI videos. Does anyone have any idea as to what all these results mean?

Bojomo

• 10. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

To attach the screen-cap, the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the forum's editing screen's Toolbar is what you want to use.

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

For my screen-caps, I use JPEG and then choose the Photoshop setting of 9 for compression. This keeps the size of the file down, but allows one to see the details.

Good luck, and hope that we're not going too quickly. If anything does not make sense, let us know. Sometimes, we make assumptions that all users are up to speed completely. We try to distill things, and make 'em clear, but sometimes just fail to do so adequately. Take it slowly and let us know how we're doing.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                              bojomo Level 1

Bill,

I don't know what you mean by "For my screen-caps, I use JPEG and then choose the Photoshop setting of 9 for compression". This keeps the size of the file down, but allows one to see the details.

Joanne

• 12. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I use the Clipboard to do my screen-caps. On my computer, this is invoked via Ctrl+PrtSc key, but most computers and keyboards do not require the Ctrl key. This does a cap of my entire screen, where I have set up my program, say PrPro, to display what I need to convey. That image is now in Windows' Clipboard.

I open Photoshop (but PSE works too), and do a New Image. PS is cool, because it will first look in the Clipboard, and give me the full specs. of that image as default. As that is what I want to do here, I just name it, say PrPro_Audio_Mixer, and the new, blank Image opens for me. With a Ctrl+V (Paste), I drop the screen-cap into the Image. I may Crop, or annotate, and then Flatten and Save_As JPEG. From there, I get a dialog box, with the JPEG compression choices. For my purposes, I choose a compression setting of 9, to get a smaller file, but with good clarity. I've seen too many screen-caps posted, where all text was totally unreadable. That helps no one.

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                                  bojomo Level 1

Thanks Bill. I will get back to it tomorrow.

Joanne

• 14. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

They mean that your video, from a still camera, needs to be converted from MJPEG-AVI to DV-AVI, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

Windows MovieMaker is the best software for doing this.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 15. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                                      nealeh Level 5

In most cases I convert to PNG format (Portable Network Graphics) rather than JPG. File sizes are larger than JPG but rarely prohibitively so (and if they are I will then use JPG) .

Importantly, for this generally insignificant increase in size, you get a perfect lossless graphic with PNG.

For example this whole screen capture (1920 x 1200) shot is:

694K  PNG (lossless)

2,341K  JPG (lossless)

493K  JPG (standard lossy)

test2.png

Note that the forum scales images for display. To actually see it at full resolution you would right-click the image and 'Save As Image ...' to then view it in your favourite image viewer (I use VuePrint, XN-View and FutureixImager to view images).

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

• 16. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

PNG is a good format, and does offer better images, IMHO, than does JPEG. Though this is changing pretty rapidly, the only hesitation that I have with PNG is that many older browsers cannot display it. Back when I was designing Web sites, I wanted to use PNG's, but there were still too many legacy browsers in use. Now, I would guess that every contemporary browser has full PNG support, but if a user is still on one of the older ones, they will not be able to see the PNG's. The use of older browsers is shrinking monthly, and may now have become insignificant, but I still worry about any, who have not moved up to a current one.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                                          bojomo Level 1

Good Morning,

This message is to all of you who tried to help me. I have come to the conclusion that my hardware is too old and not upgradeable to be able to run Elements 8. I am going to download the trial versions to my laptop which is newer and more powerful and see if these programs will run on it. If not I will have to abandon my idea to switch to Elements until I can afford a new computer. Thank you so very much for the time you spent trying to help. Hope I didn't waste yours.

Bojomo

• 18. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                                            nealeh Level 5

No you haven't wasted my time. I think one of the major benefits of the Internet are support and social forums and in general most people get a good feeling buzz from helping someone through what they themselves went through. And, as Bill Hunt says, there is always something new to learn.

If your PRE8 trial won't work on your laptop then Cyberlink Director or Sony Vegas/Architect seem to get a good press in this forum. Also note that you can still get PRE7 trial from some download sites, that may work better for you on your original machine.

Let us know how you got on and what product you finally pick.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

• 19. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry that the computer was not up to the task. That can be very frustrating, but thank you for both hanging in with us, and then for taking the time to report.

Not sure of another editing program, that would be currently available, that would require much less power. Video editing is intense as can be on even a new, well-spec'ed. computer.

The two that Neale mentions are well respected. I have an earlier version of the CyberLink PowerDirector and it seems to be a good program. I use it as a conversion tool, so do not really put it through its paces.

Now, you probably already have Windows Movie Maker. While it does lack a lot of features, that lack means that it does not require the resources of some others. Might get you by, until you do spring for the new system.

Good luck and thanks for reporting,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Audio and Video out of sync in Premiere Elements 8
                                                Ealann10

Non-sync audio - A work around

I found this thread after I bought Premier Elements 11 and also had problems with the audio out of sync with the video after capture from my Sony Camcorder. Investigating the problem further by making a clapperboard clip I found there all was in sync. The issue appears only when I've over recorded a tape and where I have left gaps in the recording and the old archive material plays.

I believe the issue is caused by a disruption of the video timestamp. Video compression uses I frames (full picture) and P frames (difference) to compress the video. Depending on the compression ratio you will have a single I frame and lots of P frames making up the "Group of Pictures" (GOP). What is happening I think is when you run over the an old recording you end up with an I frame at the wroug time causing the video to be delayed by a GOP worth of time and hence the audio ends up leading the video.

Whether this explanation is correct or not doesn't really matter. The solution is to carefully stream your video from the camera and stop before you run over  old archive. Move on and start streaming again from the start of the new material. Viola!