4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 7:07 PM by peterm711

Lost pdf files after upgrading to Reader 9

peterm711

I recently upgraded to Reader 9 and now notice that a bunch of pd

f files I had stored in verious folders in My Documents have disappered!

Running XP Home SP3. Any ideas what happened to my pdf files??

Thanks

• 1. Re: Lost pdf files after upgrading to Reader 9
          370H55V Level 4

Since the Reader 9 upgrade only affects the Reader 8 software and associated Windows Registry files, not documents,  it's 100% likely that this upgrade had nothing to do with the disappearing files.

It's like filling up your gas tank and suddenly noticing that one of your tires is flat. One has no way of causing the other.

It's cases like this that keep me telling people every day to be sure and back up important files to some external media (flash drive, CD-R, DVD-R or eve an external HD).

• 2. Re: Lost pdf files after upgrading to Reader 9
            peterm711 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was likely unrelated to the upgrade of Reader, but a couple of possibilities still lingered in my mind:

First, the Reader upgrade was done by my better half, and I believe she performed the upgrade in response to a sudden pop-up window prompting you for an upgrade - a commom tactic for spreading viruses. And secondly, the pdf files I lost were created by CutePDF (freeware), so the thought crossed my mind that Adobe would not mind pdf files created by competitive software to disappear...

At this point I think the probable cause was a virus.

CowboyInAZ <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Since the Reader 9 upgrade only affects the Reader 8 software and associated Windows Registry files, not documents,  it's 100% likely that this upgrade had nothing to do with the disappearing files.

It's like filling up your gas tank and suddenly noticing that one of your tires is flat. One has no way of causing the other.

It's cases like this that keep me telling people every day to be sure and back up important files to some external media (flash drive, CD-R, DVD-R or eve an external HD).

>

• 3. Re: Lost pdf files after upgrading to Reader 9
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

peterm711 wrote:

And secondly, the pdf files I lost were created by CutePDF (freeware),

So is it that the files are completely gone (you've checked this in Windows Explorer) or are they just not being recognized as PDF's (if you used File>Open from Reader and it doesn't see them, that could be the case)?

• 4. Re: Lost pdf files after upgrading to Reader 9
                peterm711 Level 1

When I go to the folders where the files were originally located (there are

multiple such folders in a folder under My Documents), the folders are

empty.

Also, if I go to reader and do File>Open then navigate to these folders,

nothing shows up either...