13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2010 8:04 AM by Paevo Kelley

What would make more than 40.000 people read that discussion???

[S]up

Did you know that The Adobe DW CS4 ICE is a paid service of USD $10 - $20 Per Month For Limited Number Of Page ( 1 or 3 ) ???

Are you feeling tricked?
      Go see Adobe's Marketing Teams Very Hidden Suprise For You For InContext Editing Service...

counter.jpg

What would make more than 40.000 people read that discussion???
      Please go say something!

Original discussion link: http://forums.adobe.com/community/ice/ice_developer?view=discussions

• 1. Re: What would make more than 40.000 people read that discussion???
          David_Powers Adobe Community Professional

Your figures are not correct. Adobe has always said that InContext Editing is currently a free preview, and that it would eventually become a paid service. The actual price has not been made public yet, but the InContext Editing FAQ has this to say:

How much does InContext Editing cost?

Adobe InContext Editing is currently available as a free preview, and will remain free through the end of 2010. In early 2011, we plan on offering the service as a subscription of $10-20USD per month, which will also include Adobe BrowserLab (also becoming a paid release in early 2011). This fee will include unlimited usage of InContext Editing, without restrictions or additional fees for the number of domain you have registered with the service.

The service will include both BrowserLab and InContext Editing. According to the FAQ, there will be no limit on the number of pages or domains.

Whether you find the service represents value for money depends on your circumstances.

• 2. Re: What would make more than 40.000 people read that discussion???
            [S]up Level 1

First of all I can understand that you love this "Community Professional" position but please do not answer things just for writing something...

Related to Pricing information and Free Preview Warning you will really need to read alot and find out real dates of those informations.Adobe had never warn about ICE is a paid service on Dreamweaver page where you can get to know about CS4 and buy or upgrade the product. You can not force people search in FAQ pages if there is a monthly pricing for every single feature in DW CS4. Don't try to explain something even you don't do. Pricing something is very important if your gonna charge people monthly!

Adobe added a (Free preview)* warning after almost 1,5 years later  to DW's feature page after our insurgence in Adobe Forums. You think we couldn't recognize that little adding operation done after all? I am sure you were not aware that it was added later, i guess you don't. You will also need to find out the dates of pricing informations before you try to defend marketing team.

Anyway, I would like to see your answers in Orginal post instead of here. You could also have chanse to read Official Adobe posts in our Discussion related to ICE, those posts would help you about dates too. But you need to do something you don't like "You will need to read".

Regards...

• 3. Re: What would make more than 40.000 people read that discussion???
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're investing a lot of time and energy to prove ... what exactly? An alleged conspiracy by Adobe to trick us into using ICE for free then springing a fee on us later?

As of today onwards, we all know that ICE is currently in Free Preview and will eventually cost $10-$20 per month but not sure when.

Those who want to use it, are doing so, in the knowledge that a cost will be introduced sometime in the next 12 months.

Those who are not interested, are finding other solutions.

If Adobe's marketing copy wasn't originally clear on some of these points, it is now.

I personally think ICE has no future as it currently stands. Adobe has taken far too long to launch it and other solutions (many free) are gaining market penetration in the meantime. But my opinion doesn't matter here.

So, what's your point?

• 4. Re: What would make more than 40.000 people read that discussion???
                osgood_ Level 8

I heard from reliable sources that Adobe are considering making these forums paid for as well, early 2011.

• 5. Re: What would make more than 40.000 people read that discussion???
                  [S]up Level 1

This is not a main time issue. It is a problem for who did inject ICE already in to their codes (own sites & clients) as a free new feature of CS4. Are you the one who will clean those codes and tell clients that they can not log-in anymore to edit their sites as before unless they pay USD $20 per month Mr. John Waller? Are you the one who will clean all those codes from thousands of pages? Or will Adobe hire some folks to help people eject the ICE code from their sites? Don't think so...

Will be very happy to see Adobe doing a price call for ICE one day and don't do the same thing in next and other versions to their users who still trust them.

• 6. Re: What would make more than 40.000 people read that discussion???
                    osgood_ Level 8

I'm with you on this one {S}up.

I had a look at inContext editing a few days ago but I saw nothing that was immediately obvious to me that it was going to be a charged for feature in 2011. I also logged into the browser view thing a few months back and again nothing immediately alerted me to it becoming a paid for feature.

[Deleted by moderator]

• 7. Re: What would make more than 40.000 people read that discussion???
                      M.R.Biesheuvel Level 3

I always knew that ICE would be a paid service. I don't understand this discussion. Second, if you use a service and even sell it to other people along with your website you have to check if the service will remain free if you didn't...stupid!

So if the people you've made these websites for should ask you to pay the services they would stand a fair change that you have to if you are serious about your business. It is you that promised these customers that ICE was a free service and it is you who have incorporated this service into a product (the website) where you have asked payment for. That is because you could have known this in advance and you have neglected to do some proper research so you sold a bad product.

It doesn't help you to play the fool and say that it is Adobe to blame...

• 8. Re: What would make more than 40.000 people read that discussion???
                        webAdore

Well M.R.Biesheuvel you are a clever bunny.  What I would give to have the intelligence to read all Adobe's terms and conditions with a fine tooth comb and uncover the line that says ICE is just a temporary thing which will probably not work for free after a year or two.  Well done you!

I'm going back to my stupid tree now to contemplate my misfortune and to think about all the people who are clearly as 'stupid' as I am and have made the same mistake (looking like about 39,999 of us).

• 11. Re: What would make more than 40.000 people read that discussion???
                          M.R.Biesheuvel Level 3

webAdore wrote:

What I would give to have the intelligence to read all Adobe's terms and conditions with a fine tooth comb and uncover the line that says ICE is just a temporary thing which will probably not work for free after a year or two.

Well I didn't have to use a fine tooth comb. I have two very old Dreamweaver CS4 books (translations into dutch) wich clearly states: "In context editting is voorlopig gratis maar zal in de toekomst een betaalde service worden. "

So even the translations gave notice that in context editting was not a free service but a try out, you don't have to be clever to know the obvious..

Cheers

• 12. Use common sense
                            polar_bare Level 4

When ICE came out I looked at it for a possible solution to our Contribute nightmare. When reviewing it, I figured it wouldn't be FREE forever, common sense, and declined to look at it further. I am still looking for a solution to our Contribute nightmare.

Any suggestions?

• 13. Re: Use common sense
                              Paevo Kelley Level 2

Webassist.