16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 8:24 AM by the_wine_snob

Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!

shaun.z

Okay so I had the files for a dvd on my computer and was editing one of the .vob files in Premiere Pro. After I finished what I was doing I was going to re-save the file and burn it back to dvd, but I couldn't find a way to save/extract it as a .vob!

Is this possible and I just missed it somewhere?

If not possible, how could I do that? Encore maybe?

Thanks a lot!!

• 2. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
          shaun.z Level 1

Aright thanks!

I have Encore, but never used it.. does it have many of the same functions as Premiere?

• 3. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
            Harm Millaard Level 7

No, it is a completely different aplication. One is for editing, the other is for authoring. Like Word and Excel, they are different for different purposes but have many things in common.

• 4. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
              shaun.z Level 1

Ahhh bummer that's kinda what I was expecting. Well I guess this isn't really the place to ask, but do you know of any different program I could use to edit a .vob and save it back to a .vob?

Thanks for the help

• 5. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                Harm Millaard Level 7

AFAIK there is no application capable of that. You need to go the authoring step. VOB files are not common MPG files. They contain lots of additional info and the only way to create them is by authoring. EOS.

• 6. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Premiere Elements will do the Import, editing and then Burn to DVD (creating VOB's, plus the other necessary files and structure). It has some of the same editing capabilities as PrPro, plus a very limited authoring function.

Now for the caveat - you knew that one was coming, right? With a VOB, you have an MPEG-2 AV file, inside the VOB container. It has already been pretty heavily compressed. When you edit that material, and then Transcode it for another DVD-Video, you WILL be re-compressing that footage, and will loose quality. Some NLE programs do offer "smart rendering," but even then, if you do more than just cut the footage, like add Titles, Transitions, color correction, etc., even they will have to Transcode again, at least for the Clips, where you made changes. I think that Vegas Studio Pro offers smart rendering, as might some others. This you will have to research a bit, and read their statements carefully, to make sure what they are capable of and where there are limitations.

Note: a VOB is a delivery format/container. The MPEG-2 portion is not meant to be edited - just played on a set-top player, or a computer with a DVD software player. Cameras that produce miniDVD's are meant have those played only. They were never intended to be edited.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                    Hale.ru

You CAN'T do nothing about this.

VOB is not just a video but a physical segment of virtually segmented DVD program. VOB's and IFOs are very complex and strongly depend on each other.

All you can do is to spent a year on DVD standard specifications and format books, then get some software from DOOM9 to disassemble the program and get other software to manipulate program scripts, config sets and media tracks separately.

Another way is to demux all the tracks and graphics to m2v and create completely new project in Encore.

It is theoreticaly possible to substitute MPEG tracks in compilled project using some IFO tools and unalligned fake VOBs, but this extremely hard and require many years of experience.

• 8. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As you point out, VOB's are not JUST MPEG-2's. The first VOB contains all Menus and also the full navigational instructions. This ARTICLE breaks things down. Now, it is dealing with the basics, so not covering every conceivable items in a VOB (Video Object File). If one wants the full details, they will be found at the site, linked to in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                        Hale.ru Level 1

"The first VOB contains all Menus "

ok. usually but this is not a law.

anyway, touch one VOB and you can ruin the whole title.

If some program is capable to edit cell media content separately from other cells and program, usually It transcodes the whole cell or whole title completely and substitute address marks in he program by new values. This introduces bugs and kills quality of the video.

The better way always is to have a source project or to recreate the project from a scrathc.

The main problem with substitution of MPEG video of the same lenght is that the MPEG consists of GOPs. And the program is always alligned to GOPs.

If you happen to change a source leaving other parts untuched, the program can't address correctly anymore... it is very hard and risky part...

...Sometimes DVD shirinkig software helps. Some Shrinking tools allow to repack selected tracks untouched. So you can disassemble, find needed track, substitute, start "repacking" and pray. (WOW if you happen to master this method, you can use Womble tool to crop/join a raw MPEG source without transcodig, thus producing state of art surgical fix-ups)

• 10. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          ok. usually but this is not a law.

No, it is not the law. It's easy to do DVD-Videos with zero Menus and no real navigation. However, if there are Menus and navigation, they will be in the first VOB, hence the limit of ~ 1GB for ALL Menus and navigation.

In many instances, those Menus and navigation can create problems for programs, like PrPro CS4.2, that can Import VOB's. Perfect examples of the "problem" first VOB's are most DVR's, that output DVD-Videos, and many miniDVD cameras. Many of these will break from the DVD-specs., and do things, well just wrong. When Adobe added VOB Import to both PrE and PrPro, a lot of users assumed that this meant ANY VOB's, but soon found that they had issues. If the VOB's are 100% DVD-compliant, then all usually goes well. If they are not, then there will be issues.

Thanks for the additional details,

Hunt

PS - in the end, it boils down to VOB's are part of a delivery scheme, and are not meant to be edited later, though with the proper tools, and care, often can, with a quality hit in most cases.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS

• 11. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                            Hale.ru Level 1

I'm not completely sure, but I had some DVD9 branded (???Deutsche Grammophon? can't remember) disks with relocated contents of menu and other bonus stuff to last VOBs in the set. I was searching for pictures long time before understood. This ifo hell is too hard for me...

• 12. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                              shaun.z Level 1

That's all making MUCH more sense to me now, thanks to you all!

• 13. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                                Hale.ru Level 1

Oh!

I googled out something useful for understanding:

http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/

(I didn't read it, but it seems like well done material from a first glance)

• 14. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Now that is an interesting layout. I have never seen that, but will certainly never suggest that it could not be done. So long as the IFO tells the player where to look, I guess that it should work?

Thanks,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have NOT used any of the products mentioned, but go to my notes page and click on the link about editing compressed files... there are links to programs that MAY do what you want

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

• 16. Re: Editing a .vob in Premiere Pro CS4 help!
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you. I just added that link to the article, that I linked to above. The more material that one can reference, the better.

Appreciated,

Hunt