8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2010 4:18 PM by Tpfkas

Sound of HDV clip stops after about 10 minutes

Tpfkas

I have captured a HDV clip from my Canon HV30.

Within Premiere (CS4) the sound only plays about the first 10 minutes. When I place it in a timeline I can see the waveform all the way to the end, but when I play it, the sound simply stops after 10 minutes. As a test I extracting the audio within Premiere but in the resulting wave-file the sound is gone right at the same spot.

Peculiar that I have the same problem with two files. The files themselve play OK including sound in any of the media players I have on my system.

Anybody any idea waht can cause this problem?

• 1. Re: Sound of HDV clip stops after about 10 minutes
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Odd behavior, indeed.

The only things that comes to my mind for this would be Track Keyframes at the 10 min. point. These are most often added with the Audio Mixer, and are attached to the Track and not the Clip. What this means is that if you move the Clips around, or replace them, the attenuation/Keyframing will still be there.

As test 1, open up Window>Audio Mixer, and watch the Level Meters, for that Track, plus the Sliders, when you play over that section of the Track - the one at 10;00;00, and see what happens.

As test 2, go to the Audio Track's Header and turn its Display to Track Keyframes. Look closely at that 10;00;00 mark. Do you see any Track Keyframes there?

Now, if you have cut your Clip, and there is even a butt-cut at the point that the Audio disappears, check the Gain (Rt-click) of that second part of the Clip. Also, look at that Clip in the Effects Control Panel, with the fixed Effect, Volume twirled open. Anything there?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Sound of HDV clip stops after about 10 minutes
            Harm Millaard Level 7

What is your disk setup? Number of disks, interface, speed, format, fill-rate, etc.?

• 3. Re: Sound of HDV clip stops after about 10 minutes
              Tpfkas Level 1

Hi Bill.

I have reseaches as you suggested to see if there are any keyframes: nothing. Anyway, ist is a brandnew project and I did absolutely nothing but importing the two files and putting them on the timeline.

Hi Harm,

You are touching a very good point there...

The files were on an external 1TB disk connected through USB. When I imported the files from there there was no problem with the sound. I had an issue that each time I opened the project Premiere startes confroming the files again, so I decided to put the files on the internal hard drive. Now this problem appeared. This internal drive is pretty full: only about 5GB out of 160GB free storage...can this cause behaviour like this??

I'd bee happy to use the external drive again, but how do I prevent this re-conforming each time I launch the project?

• 4. Re: Sound of HDV clip stops after about 10 minutes
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, Harm nailed it. A USB external is good for archiving only. They do not do well, when trying to edit to/from. Copy over your AV files to an internal HDD, and this issue, plus the additional conforming, will likely disappear. Also, USB externals were (and might still be) plagued with read/write errors, especially Delayed Write Failure. They are just not fast enough to work from, or to. Use them only for archiving.

I do edit to/from FW-800 externals, which are quite good. Were I not so heavily invested in those, I would go with eSATA, as they would be even better/faster.

Good work Harm!

Hunt

PS - just saw that you had 5GB free. That is horrible and likely to cause more than just lost Audio. I thought you had said that you had 160GB free, but that is the total capacity. At about 75% of capacity, HDD's begin to slow down, and the closer they get to capacity, the worse things can get. Remember too that you have many, large working files that are necessary, plus probably a dynamically managed Page File.

You seriously need more internal HDD's (physical, and not partitions).

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - added PS

• 5. Re: Sound of HDV clip stops after about 10 minutes
                  Tpfkas Level 1

Errr... I DO experience the problem with the internal drive, I DON'T with the external drive connected via USB.

So the USB connection does not seem to cause any problem.

• 6. Re: Sound of HDV clip stops after about 10 minutes
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    So the USB connection does not seem to cause any problem.

Good luck. One user here reported 100% success with the use of USB externals, and even took me to task on the read/write problems - until I furnished about 100 links to posts elsewhere from users, who had lost everything due to them. I had only had maybe 10-12 myself, before I gave up on them.

Now, where ever you do your editing to/from, you WILL want to really clean off that internal. Use another external to archive a bunch of stuff. You do not have even the minimum free space to run the program effectively. Even for Premiere Elements, I strongly recommend a minimum of 40GB defragmented free space. With 5GB available, you probably will not even be able to defragment it, until you clean it up.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Sound of HDV clip stops after about 10 minutes
                      Tpfkas Level 1

Yeah, your probably right about the limited free capacity on the internal.

I'm gonna have look how I can free up some storage space there.

Anyway, both of you thanks. At least I now know that it is simply a resources issue...

• 8. Re: Sound of HDV clip stops after about 10 minutes
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck with the housecleaning!

Also, when you Import an Asset with Audio, be sure to let the Conforming complete 100%. There is a blue progress bar in the lower-right of the GUI. Especially with slow HDD's, whether internal, or external, if one starts trying to edit, the CFA file might easily get truncated, or the program, or even the computer, crash. Just be patient. The length of time required will vary by the Duration of your Assets, how close the Audio already is to 48KHz and the speed of your computer.

Good luck, and be sure to tell Harm "thanks." I'd probably have gotten around to that down the way, but he saved us both time by getting it right from the start.

Hunt