8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 6:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Dual core V's Quad core PrE8

morgandj Level 1

when rendering will a quad core do it faster than a dual core cpu?, or to ask this another way is PrE8 thread aware and will use a quad core?

David

• 1. Re: Dual core V's Quad core PrE8
          nealeh Level 5

I have PRE7 and it uses all four of my cores when needed. This feature will not have been taken out of PRE8 and you should be able to spot the 'Multi Processor detected' message on the opening screen during startup.

You can also check this out: Q: How much processing power does PRE7 need to convert a video?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Dual core V's Quad core PrE8
            morgandj Level 1

Thanks for that I am using the same widget only of course 2 cores running 80 - 100%

My surprise when rendering a 1920 x 1080 580Mb MOV file of only 2 minutes length and applying stabiliser it took 1 hour 45!, this is similar with other clips same size and duration, depending on the effect time varies marginally.

I could go on holidays I supose if I wanted to render something like an hour!

David

• 3. Re: Dual core V's Quad core PrE8
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is likely because you are using a non-standard video clip.

What type of camcorder did this video come from? Video fromstill cameras and from pocket camcorders (like the Flip) must be converted before they're added to a Premiere Elements project in order to work with them efficiently, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

• 4. Re: Dual core V's Quad core PrE8
                morgandj Level 1

Steve,

I have read the FAQ's and can't see the one you might refer too! I am using a Canon 5D mark II which produces a HD 1920 x 1080 *.Mov file.

PrE8 has no problems importing the file and allows for a BD 1920x1080i Project settings on creation of a new project, true I may not eventually burn to a BluRay and it might make more sense to have project settings of only HD 1080i, but I do want high quality widescreen product

Converting or cropping the 5D's output defeats the purpose of shooting in HD.

I moved to PrE8 from PD8 and tonight went back with the same footage I was using in PrE8 to PD8, I have to say it is quicker! and provides all the bangs & whistles that PrE8 has (and more)

David

• 5. Re: Dual core V's Quad core PrE8
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your still camera uses a codec that is not fully compatible with Premiere Elements. In many cases, this won't work at all in the program. Your system seems able to handle it -- but you're going to be stuck with these inefficiently long render times as long as you try to use that format natively as your source files. (In fact, I'd recommend you output a test project to ensure that you don't get things, such as interlacing issues or out of sync audio, which are typical with these types of files and often don't show up until you output a file or burn a DVD.)

It is possible to convert this file and keep it in hi-def. But, unless your final output is to BluRay disc, it's not really an efficient way to work.

What is your final output goal?

On the other hand, if you've found a program that can edit this file natively and can do it efficiently, you may want to stick with it. But, if you want to edit this video directly from the camcorder, I'd recommend against using Premiere Elements to do it.

• 6. Re: Dual core V's Quad core PrE8
                    morgandj Level 1

Steve,

I think the Camera is called a "Hybrid"! Videographers might take offence at you calling it a still camera :-)

You suprise me about the codec, and I have had no issues playing files straight out of the camera on WMP + QT , I have produced a short movie using PrE8 and onto standard DVD format which played on a widescreen LCD without any issues at all.

But I take your point that if PrE8 is not current technology then maybe my other alternative is the way to go.

David

• 7. Re: Dual core V's Quad core PrE8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

With footage from the Canon still cameras, you might find the linked threads in this ARTICLE helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Dual core V's Quad core PrE8
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I have had no issues playing files straight out of the camera on WMP + QT

This is a popular misconception. It can yield a false sense of security. There are major differences between playing a file and editing that same file. In this case, much has to do with getting the GOP structure into an I-frame structure, for frame specific editing.

This ARTICLE might be useful to point out the differences, and what needs to be done.

Good luck,

Hunt