8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 7:38 AM by the_wine_snob

Output jpg file cropped

cjacs2 Level 1

Dear All

Im new to this forum, indeed fairly new to Prem Pro CS4.

I am importing jpeg files, 4256 x 2832. These look perfect on the preview monitor but when played back on the timeline, the playback monitor shows the image cropped both at the top/bottom/right/left sides quite a lot. I have set the image to 'Fit' and 100% but makes no difference.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks for your help

Regards

Chris Anderson

• 1. Re: Output jpg file cropped
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

First, you need to turn Scale to Frame OFF.

Next, PrPro can only handle images up to ~ 4096 pixels on the largest dimension.

Then, you are better of sizing your images in PS, prior to Import. The Scaling algorithms in PS are better, and offer more control, than those in PrPro - it is a video editing program and not am image editor. The quality will be better. This is one time, where bigger is NOT better.

What is your Project/Sequence Frame Size (from the chosen Preset)? That is about where you will want to resize to.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum!

• 2. Re: Output jpg file cropped
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some more background on Scaling stills in PS, and offer tips on automating this with Actions.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Output jpg file cropped
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Welcome to the forums.

Rightclick on the still in the timeline and scale to fit framesize or

scale it under Motion in the Effects Controle.

When the still gives trouble on playback you need to scale it down to sequence size before importing.

Or when doing pan/zoom scale it to twice the sequence size.

• 4. Re: Output jpg file cropped
                cjacs2 Level 1

Hi Ann

Many thanks for your quick reply. I did what you suggested, and that made things much better, but i still get a black border right/left. I guess

this is because my jpeg is 4256 and the max adobe supports is 4000 ? -  I dont fully understand, as if the jpeg looks perfect in the preview

window then adobe most be able to import that ok.

Also, i have 100 jpeg files to import, will i have to do this for every file ? - i was hoping to do a presentation of photos with sime transitions

and thought it may be simple!!!!

Thanks again

Chris

• 5. Re: Output jpg file cropped
                  cjacs2 Level 1

Hunt,

Many thanks for your quick reply

>First, you need to turn Scale to Frame OFF.

how to I do that?

>Next, PrPro can only handle images up to ~ 4096 pixels on the largest dimension

>Then, you are better of sizing your images in PS, prior to Import. The Scaling algorithms in PS are better, and offer more control, than those in PrPro - it >is a video editing program and not am image editor. The quality will be better. This is one time, where bigger is NOT better.

Ok will take a look but never used PS. I have 100 jegs to import, will i have to work on each one individually ? - thats gonna take some time

when i was hoping just to import some photos, add some transitions and play!

>

>What is your Project/Sequence Frame Size (from the chosen Preset)? That is about where you will want to resize to.

Can you please point me to where i find this, sorry to be a pain

Thanks again

Chris

• 6. Re: Output jpg file cropped
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

The linked article steps you through automating the Scaling in PS. I start with one folder of my source files, the Source Folder, set up my Action to do the necessary Scaling, and then choose a Destination Folder for the output. On my workstation, a folder of 100 JPEG's would probably take 5 mins. to process if I have the Override Open Command on. About the time to go and make a cup of coffee.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Output jpg file cropped
                      cjacs2 Level 1

Hunt

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated. Im off to dabble with PS!

Chris

• 8. Re: Output jpg file cropped
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

Good luck with PS. It's a great and very powerful program. I use it so much and for so many things in PrPro.

Have fun,

Hunt