14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 7:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Exporting to Quicktime crashes program

WillYammer Level 1

Hello, I'm running Premiere Elements 3.02 with XP on a Dell with 4GB Ram and 3.00 GHz CPU.  I shot a video and have it stored on an external drive, and have the work saved on another external drive.  I didn't do much editing - I just clipped a bit off each end and added a jpg slideshow at the end.  Runtime is about 4 minutes.

Problem: When I attempt to export it to quicktime the program shuts down like a switch was thrown.

I am able to export to mpeg 2 but that plays back all stuttery.

I searched using a few different terms but found nothing to point me in the right direction.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

William

• 1. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer.

You should also ensure that your external drive is formatted NTFS (not FAT32) and that it is defragmented.

• 2. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's comments, are these USB externals? Often, the USB connections are just not fast enough to edit to/from, and are also often too slow for smooth playback, both due to the connection speed, and also the speed of the physical drives themselves. A 7200 RPM drive is about the minimum, and even then, USB's can be awfully slow. Converting them to NTSF, if FAT-32, will both allow larger file sizes, and will usually increase the transfer speeds.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
              WillYammer Level 1

Thanks, Steve and Bill.  The drives are NTFS, are defragmented regularly and I do have the latest version of Quicktime. I also rebooted but no change.

I copied the .m2t file to my C: drive and it runs fine.

Only issue I will have, moving forward, is getting the QT export functionality to work.  I'll try doing the whole project on an internal drive and see if that resolves the issue, although I can't see why it would.

Much appreciated.

William

• 4. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
                the_wine_snob Level 9

William,

Good news. You are ahead of many, with the NTSF formatting of the externals. Not realizing that most ship with FAT-32 has tripped up many.

Years ago, I tried to edit to/from USB's and had issues. There were constant read/write errors, especially Delayed Write failures. I was not alone, as many encountered the same problem. I also found the connection to be just too slow, and besides taking too long for anything to complete, I also found that my editing program was trying to write more quickly, than the USB 2.0's could handle - result corrupt files.

I then tried FW-400 externals, which were much more stable, but still too slow for my workflow.

It was not until I went to FW-800's, that I could effectively edit to/from externals, and now have a big handful of these. Were I not so heavily invested in these, I'd go with eSATA, which are almost as good as SATA internals, in every way.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
                  Paul787 Level 3

I'm running into the same issue as Will. Running PRE3, when I go to export to QuickTime, *poof*, the program has shut down without any warning. I only need the QuickTime export option this time because of a short video for school I'm assisting my niece with. QT is up to date, all drives are NTFS and lots of free space.

I exported the file as a DV-AVI and then used NCH's Prism Video Converter to change it over to the MOV format. That worked, but it doesn't seem to want to display in the 16:9 format.

Any suggestions?

(Update: I forgot about MPEG Streamclip. It converted to MOV just fine. I still don't know why PRE acts up when exporting to QT. Oh well, sleep is more important right now then solving that.)

• 6. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

This might not be helpful, but in the fairly recent past, Apple has released several versions of QT Player, that just crashed Adobe programs. These were first the 7.4.x series. There were 2-3 of those, that flat did not work. Then, 7.5.5 came out, and seems to work perfectly with all Adobe programs. Well, along came the 7.6.x series, and several of those caused major crashes with Adobe programs. I have 7.5.5 on my machines and it works fine with everything Adobe. Others report the same success. I'd go to Apple's site, and search around. Once, Apple had an archive of older versions of QT Player, and it was pretty obvious. Last time I was there, one really had to look to find that link. Do not know if Apple has gone back to the old links, that were plain to see, or if they are still hiding the archive. Anyway, I'd try the 7.5.5. You will probably have to do a complete uninstall, and maybe even a Registry cleaner, like Ccleaner, and then install the 7.5.5 version of QT Player. I'd do a System Restore Point, before this operation, just to be safe.

Good luck, and I hope that this helps,

Hunt

PS - I turn OFF the auto-update "feature" in QT Player, as when I find a good version, I do not want to have issues with it going online and downloading versions, that might break things. Apple just seems to have a problem writing software for the PC, especially where Adobe programs are concerned.

• 7. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
                      Paul787 Level 3

Thanks Bill. I have 7.6.5 on my computer, and though I don't use the QT export option often, it would be nice to have it working. I'll do some hunting around for the earlier QT version.

• 8. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Good luck on finding the older versions. Seems that on my last search, I had to resort to Google, as the Apple site had changed and I could not find the links, that I was looking for.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
                          Paul787 Level 3

That appears to have done it Bill. I am exporting a QT file from PRE right now. I found QT 7.5.5 at http://www.oldapps.com. They had QT verions going all the way back to version 2!

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Cool, Paul. Thanks for posting that link too, as it will likely help someone in the future.

That was the "last known good" version in my book. I have retained it. Prior to 7.5.5, 7.3.5 was the previous "known good" version.

Good luck, and let us know if your Export/Share completes properly.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
                              WillYammer Level 1

Paul and Bill, thanks for your answers.  And Paul, that website is a great resource!

• 12. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome, and happy editing!

Hunt

• 13. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
                                  Paul787 Level 3

Glad I was able to assist Will.

Bill, I had some success with my QT export. But I'm not very familiar with QT so maybe I haven't got my settings exactly right. First time I tried, I got to 99.97% and then the export stopped. Second time it exported 100%. However, for a 4 minute video, its given me a 900MB file size. I exported at 720x480 and 5 kbps.

I'm also getting some weird horizontal lines when playing the QT file. I'm guessing I may have to deinterlace before exporting but can't find this setting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 14. Re: Exporting to Quicktime crashes program
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

I'd like to help, but honestly do not do much QT format Export. Ninety-nine percent of my Projects are for DVD-Video, so I do not use QT much. Now, I do get a lot of MOV files, and specify the Animation CODEC. To date, all of these files have edited perfectly. Mostly, these are 3D animations from artists working on Mac's.

Wish that I could be more help, but maybe someone, who works with QT files can offer some suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt