8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 10:58 AM by So Steller

Dreamweaver Book?

So Steller Level 1

I am learning Dreamweaver for the first time, and I am having many questions come up like can you apply a spry bar to a html page... like a css page so that I do not need to create the spry bar each time I make a new html page. (I'm not sure if that made sense?); Why does my content move when I save a page as a template, then designate an area as an editable region?  So my main question is....is there a book I can buy that can teach me how to do things, what may go wrong, and how to fix them?

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver Book?
          playz123 Level 1

My favourite DW CS4 book is "Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom" by Jeremy Osborn & Aquent Creative Team, ISBN 978-0-470-41092-9. Highly recommended.....................playz

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver Book?
            martincou Level 3

Hi,

if you start with Dreamweaver, I'll recommend you Dreamweaver CS4 - Classroom in A Book. You will learn how to use the program throughout step-by-step exercices.

Here is the TOC :

Lesson 1 Getting a Quick Start and Exploring Your  Workspace
            Lesson 2 Working with Cascading Style Sheets
            Lesson 3  Working with Text, Lists, and Tables
            Lesson 4 Working with Images
            Lesson  5 Working with Navigation
            Lesson 6 Adding Interactivity
            Lesson 7  Creating a page layout from scratch
            Lesson 8 Working with Forms
            Lesson  9 Working with Flash
            Lesson 10 Increasing Productivity
            Lesson 11  Publishing to the Web

You can buy it on Adobe Press, Amazon or maybe at your local library.

--

Martin

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver Book?
              KevinSFreeman Level 1

I have to say I am a huge fan of David Powers book. "Dreamweaver CS4 with Css, Ajax, and PHP," was a godsend for me. I found Dreamweaver to have a good size learning curve when I migrated from GoLive.  http://foundationphp.com/

It's the kind of book you can pick up, open at random and find something new and exciting. And if you are very disciplined it flows well and is laid out logically.

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver Book?
                r_tist Level 1

Yes!

Dreamweaver the Missing Manual: The book that should have been in the box (an O'Reilly publication)

It touches upon everything you mentioned and more! It is DW in depth and easy to understand!!

I highly recommend it!

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver Book?
                  Zabeth69 Level 5

I also vote for the Missing Manual series. Some of their chapters are here on the Adobe site. I teach Dreamweaver from that book.

There are also many beginning and intermediate tutorials here on the Adobe site, which you should take advantage of. http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/10.0_Using/WS42d4a1c0291fbe4e59147ede1232ff9686c-8 000.html

You can get a limited time (30 days?) free trial membership in Safari Books Online http://www.safaribooksonline.com/Corporate/Index/ and "sample" many books on Dreamweaver. By checking out their differing styles, you will find the one(s) you think will be the best fit for you. I like Safari because by using Books Online, I don't have to buy and store and have outdated books on my bookshelf when the new program versions come out!

Another resource is the videos here on Adobe TV. http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-dreamweaver-cs4/

Don't forget to check back in here at the Forums when you have a question that you just can't find the answer to!

Beth

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver Book?
                    prestonjobaaron Level 1

I am also learning Dreamweaver from the ground up. Instead of recommending the book I purchased, (and am learning a lot from), I would say to go the store and flip through as many as you can find and see which one you are comfortable with and fuels your excitement level. I am sure that all of the books are great, but we all learn differently and you need to get something you WILL use and not get frustrated with.

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver Book?
                      M.R.Biesheuvel Level 3

I 've got only one book and I like it its called Dreamweaver cs4 The missing manual

M.R.Biesheuvel

www.sportjegeestgezond.nl

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver Book?
                        So Steller Level 1

Cool, Thank you....everyone.... I wasn't sure which books would be adequate because there's so many to choose from.  I'll start looking into all of them.