9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 6:11 PM by Curt Wrigley

CS4 Normalizing Audio question

VJoecks Level 1

I have CS4 and I'm unsure of how to normalize my audio.

here's my situation. I have a long clip - 30 min - Most of the audio is about -12 to -18, but there's a few times (laughter, applause) where the audio gets hot and pops up to 0 db. How can I add 12 gain to the clip and still keep my peaks at 0? (With going through the whole clip)

I've done this before in audio programs - raise the gain, then normalize and it works, but I do that with adobe premier and the two actions basically cancel each other out.

I know there's the answer somewhere in the official adobe online help manual, but I can't understand what they're saying there and I hope one of you can help me.

I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

• 1. Re: CS4 Normalizing Audio question
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the quick and easy way is to use the Audio Effect>Normalize to the Clip.

You might, however, want to use the Audio Mixer to automate the Levels. Note: this will Keyframe at the Track-level. For this, I will use Unnumbered Markers just before the Peaks, and then ride Gain with the Send set to Write. One could also do the Keyframing of Volume at the Clip-level.

I am a bit less a fan of the Normalize Effect, but maybe that is just me.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS4 Normalizing Audio question
            Curt Wrigley Level 4

I font think Normalize will do what you want.  Because; you have peeks that are already at Maximum (0db) and your normal audio pretty low -12 to -18.

Normallizing can add a specific gain or adjust gain based on peaks.   You cant just add gain overall because your peaks are already at MAX.   Adjusting to your peaks wont be very helpful in your case either.

So; you options are to manually adjust by eay as Hunt has suggested and perhaps automate those manual adjutments to your audio levels.

Or if you have a lot to do and want an automated way to reduce peaks while raising lows; look at audio compression in the dynamics filter.   Heres a quick tut that demos how it functions;

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/tutdes_ppro2_dynamiccompressor.htm

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CS4 Normalizing Audio question
              VJoecks Level 1

Hunt -

Thanks for the quick reply, but I'm still unsure of how to do this. I can get to the Effect Controls window, but there's no option to normalize in Audio Effects (that I can find)

Also, I'm not sure what this means --

You might, however, want to use the Audio Mixer to automate the Levels. Note: this will Keyframe at the Track-level. For this, I will use Unnumbered Markers just before the Peaks, and then ride Gain with the Send set to Write. One could also do the Keyframing of Volume at the Clip-level.

Wouldn't I just be sitting and listening to the whole track (30 min)? Which might be important for a lot of projects, but I just need passable audio, not anything perfect.

Why can't I just bump up the gain for the whole clip and then cap the audio volume at 0 or -3 db without dropping all of my audio down again? Or is this just not possible?

Thank you again for your help.

Victor

• 4. Re: CS4 Normalizing Audio question
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Victor,

You are close. First, go to the Effects Panel (not the Effects Control Panel, at least not now), and look for Audio Effects. Twirl that open and look for Stereo. There, you will find Normalize. Drag it to your Clip, and choose the desired setting from the dialog screen. You can also type "normalize" into the little Search box in the Effects Panel and you'll get it that way too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: CS4 Normalizing Audio question
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Why can't I just bump up the gain for the whole clip and then cap the audio volume at 0 or -3 db without dropping all of my audio down again? Or is this just not possible?

In Audition, and maybe Soundbooth (?) you can do this. The Audio Effects and controls in PrPro are good, but it is a video editor, so there are limitations.

My Keyframe method does essentially what you are talking about, though approaches it from a slightly different direction. You are holding the "cap" a 0dB, and then riding Gain on the rest. Not automatic, but good. Once you have done the work in Audio Mixer (Window>Audio Mixer), those settings will be retained. You can even watch the pots (the sliders) move about, as you play. Other than doing it with a mouse, it's exactly like what one does on a computerized mixing console.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: CS4 Normalizing Audio question
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

Yes; its possible: Watch the tut reference in post 2.

• 7. Re: CS4 Normalizing Audio question
                      VJoecks Level 1

Curt and Hunt,

thank you both for your help. I think I understand what you saying and when I have a bit more time I'll play around with the Audio Effects controls.

And Curt - I watched the tut, but the method was manual (I think like Hunt was describing) - I'd have to go through the whole thing and manual adjust the audio.

In the end I edited in the Audio in Soundbooth (bumped up the gain and then put on a hard cap) and put it back into Premiere. A little scary because I can't see the waveforms any more, but it looks synced up.

Again thank you very much for your help - you've both saved me from enormous frustration.

Victor

• 8. Re: CS4 Normalizing Audio question
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Victor,

Yes whether one does the riding of the Gan with the Audio Mixer (one-time deal here, as it will automate the controls when you change the Send back to Read from either Touch, or Write), or manually Keyframe Volume for the Clip, it is done by hand.

Glad that you had Soundbooth, and that it works a lot like Audition here. I use Audition, and haven't seen SB, since beta, so do not know it.

I'm surprised that you lost the PEK (the Waveform Display), as when I Edit in Audition, there is no problem with the display on the adjusted file. However, I do seem to recall a thread a few months back about similar. Do not recall the resolution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: CS4 Normalizing Audio question
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

You did not watch enough of the tutorial.  It shows two manual methods and one automated method.

What you did will work; but you have lost fidelity on the audio that was capped (it will clip it)  The clipped audio will be visable in the wavform as very flat on the top.  And it will sound flat as well.