12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 10:47 AM by the_wine_snob

Stuck at 4.82 percent

ThorC4291

I have made many DVDs, I always write the DVD files to disk.

But now I am stuck trying to create the DVD files, always hanging at 4.82 percent.

I have tried on multiple computers.  File systems are all NTFS (I highlight this because

it reminds me of the file size limit hang I got trying to write to a FAT partition).

Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0

6 Gig memory, I have tried on a nearly empty 220Gig partition (NTFS).

I have tried defragmenting the drives.

I pre-rendered the video with no errors.

Thanks for any help.  Yes, I need to upgrade from 2.0 and in fact have ordered 8.0 hoping it will

fix or at least report whatever the error is better.

Thanks for any help.

-- Thor

• 1. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thor,

Let's take a look at your Project's Timeline. Since PrE uses 2-pass Transcoding, 100% of the Project is actually the Timeline run through twice. Assuming that, what is happening at the 9.64% of your Timeline's Duration?

Zoom in on the Timeline, and probably expand the vertical zoom too. Move the CTI (Current Time Indicator) to that spot, and look very closely. Do you see a gap in the Video? [Note: gaps in the Audio are of no concern.]

If there are no gaps, and you have looked VERY closely, what are the Clips at that point, both Audio & Video?

You very likely have some issue around that point.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            I have tried on a nearly empty 220Gig partition (NTFS).

Totally unrelated to your problem, but the word "partition" throws up a big, red warning flag for me. Partitions were useful back when OS's could not deal with larger drives. Since those days, they are a problem, and are not useful, in all but the most rare of circumstances.

What happens is that the OS is informed that the partitions are "physical HDD's," but they are only "logical HDD's." The OS will demand reads/writes from them, and cannot understand why it's taking so long. The first law of physics is that an object can be in only one place at one time. In this case, the OS is trying to direct the heads to be in two places at once - cannot happen. The attempt to get the reads/writes at the same time will at best, result in a big slow down, and at worst a major HDD crash.

Please be very, very careful with any partitions, as you have first compromised the performance of the system, and the HDD, and could be leaving yourself open to other problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm with Hunt. There's something suspicious about that number and how precise it is.

How long is your project? That could tell us if we're dealing with a file size limitation.

And it could well be that your partition is causing problems too.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Thor

Just visiting and some of your details caught my attention.

Are you saying that all this worked before and suddenly has stopped doing what it did before?

What caught my attention was your mention of Premiere Elements 2 and installed 6 GB RAM. Does that mean that you are running Premiere Elements 2 in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system that happens to have 6 GB RAM installed? Or does that mean that you are running Premiere Elements 2 in a Windows 32 bit system in which you have installed 6 GB RAM?

Based on your answer to my initial question about "this ever working before", I will elaborate on why I asked about how you are running Premiere Elements 2.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
                  ThorC4291 Level 1

I cannot yet see the problem, but it is something wrong in the project.   I deleted the

first two clips and it successfully burned.   I guess I have to keep deleting bits until

I can locate whatever causes it to hang.

Thanks,

-- Thor

• 6. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
                    ThorC4291 Level 1

The project is just under 2 hours long.   I reburned the DVD files for an

older project around the same size no problem.

Thanks,

-- Thor

• 7. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
                      ThorC4291 Level 1

I have two computers I have tried this on.  One is Vista 64 bit with 6G RAM, so

yes PE2 would be running in compatibility mode.

The other is XP 32 bit with 2G RAM.  I copied the project to this older machine and

had the same exact error.

Thanks,

-- Thor

• 8. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Please tell us more about those Clips that you removed, that then allowed things to work fine. Where did they come from? What are their specs.? If necessary, you can get that info with the great free utility, G-Spot. If you can run each Clip through G-Spot and post screen-caps from each, maybe someone can assist you with those Clips.

Good luck, and let us know about those Clips,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
                          ThorC4291 Level 1

All the clips are from my camera, captured with Adobe PE.   The two 'clips' removed

are actually different parts of the same avi file.  There was also some black separating them.

I'll look at G-spot later.

-- Thor

• 10. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are doing a DVD Project, and the files were Captured with PrE, they should be DV-AVI Type II's, which is as good as it gets.

Now, as you have cut up a larger Clip to get these two, my guess would be that you have, or had, a gap in there someplace. Even a one Frame gap can cause Transcoding to fail.

I'd replace those two removed Clips with Black Video, and make sure that all Clips butt-up perfectly - no gaps. Then, do a test Burn to Folder to see what happens.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
                              ThorC4291 Level 1

Well, I never actually found the gap, but I got it to work.  I had

AVI, then black video, then more AVI.    I removed the black video

and looked saw no gaps, reinserted the black video, and now it works.

Thanks!

-- Thor

• 12. Re: Stuck at 4.82 percent
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thor,

Glad that it is working. There was probably just one frame in the Black Video, that was missing. Depending on the zoom level of the Timeline, it is easy to leave something like Black Video inserts just a hint short.

Good luck, and Happy Editing,

Hunt