10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 8:12 AM by outaluck

Beware of Auto Color effect

ruffhouseutah

I mentioned in a recent post some difficulties I was having in burning a 2-hour project to DVD, where I would get a "low on physical memory error" and then PE8 crashes. It would take 2 hours to get to just over 50% before the crash happened, and on the way the CPU would be pegged at 100% across all eight cores and the physical memory would slowly climb from 43% to over 70% utilization.

Well, just to see what would happen I removed the Auto Color effect from each clip in the project and tried again, and the results were DRAMATICALLY different!

Burned entire project in about 15 minutes.

CPU utilization hovered around 50% throughout the encode/burn session

Physical memory stayed at 43% throughout.

So, at least on Win7 64-bit systems, be VERY careful with the Auto Color effect!

• 1. Re: Beware of Auto Color effect
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for reporting, ruffhouse.Auto Color could well be a pretty intensive effect!

Though the type of video you're using as your source and if you've pre-rendered the timeline prior to starting your DVD transcoding can also make a difference in burn time.

• 2. Re: Beware of Auto Color effect
            ruffhouseutah Level 1

The source material is a straight analog capture using a Canopus ADVC 110, so it's all AVI. The only effect we had added was Auto Color.

Steve, would you try something for me?  Would you take a project that you know has two hours of material and add the Auto Color effect and see what it does to your encoding time and how much it taxes your resources?

No need to encode the entire thing, just get it started and see what it's doing to your system, versus without the Auto Color effect.

I'll be doing some comparisons using other effects as well, but so far there's at least one definitive culprit in my situation, and that's Auto Color.

(do you think that Adobe ever cruises through these forums to find specific problems like this that they can work on for the next version? Sure would be an encouraging sign to see some posts from Adobe people from time to time, at least acknowledging some of these problems and promising improvement in forthcoming versions.)

• 3. Re: Beware of Auto Color effect
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              (do you think that Adobe ever cruises through these forums to find specific problems like this that they can work on for the next version? Sure would be an encouraging sign to see some posts from Adobe people from time to time, at least acknowledging some of these problems and promising improvement in forthcoming versions.)

Shortly after the release of PrE 8, we had one Adobe employee, who was working on issues with nVidia and ATI video drivers and PrE 8. This led to a patch release for PrE 8. Normally, there is little Adobe presence here though, as we're all just users, such as yourself.

Now, if you have a Feature Request, or Bug Report, THIS is where you would want to file them. Adobe reads these and takes them very seriously. If you are reporting a Bug, be sure to provide Adobe with ALL necessary info, so that they can replicate it in their lab.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Beware of Auto Color effect
                ruffhouseutah Level 1

In my opinion, they're missing the boat if the only bugs they take seriously are the ones submitted through that obscure form...

The real gold mine of problems and issues is here in the forum itself, especially with Hunt and Steve and what they've seen. I'm sure those two could tell Adobe engineers exactly what to focus on, so they don't have to sift through all the other silly stuff that's found here as well.

I'm not going to go through the trouble to fill out the form each time I have a bug or a crash, which is quite a bit.

Along those lines I have to point out an irony with their crash reporter, which I always try to submit...

The crash reporter requires an internet connection, but to streamline my system for editing I turn off anti-virus protection, and with no antivirus protection I also turn off my internet access... so... the crash reporter can't/won't/doesn't work when off-line, which I typically remember after the crash reporter crashes itself from lack of internet access, which has happened more than once. (I try to remember to enable internet before clicking submit, but sometimes I miss.)

• 5. Re: Beware of Auto Color effect
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The biggest problem with gathering data from the forum is the way that most issues sort out. This is very rough, but it's built on years of trying to sort out problems for other Adobe users:

1.) System - the most common hurdle

2.) Assets - a close second

3.) Project - this one can be part of #2, but I group it by itself

4.) OE - the user pushed the wrong button, etc.

5.) Bugs - these fall quite far down this list, and is what Adobe would need to focus on

Now, it does seem that PrE 8 had its share of issues, and some of those seem to go back to #1 in that certain video cards and drivers were part of the equation. There were also some "features," that seem, at best, ill-conceived. I hold out hope that 8.0.1 makes strides on improving the program with the majority of computers out there. I'd also urge Adobe to set the default on some of those new features to OFF, and let the user decided if they want them.

With the Feature Request/Bug Report, Adobe will test on a system as close to the submitter's as is possible the problem. If they jumped onto every thread where a user had an issue, and immediately declared it a Bug, they would still be testing PrE 3.

This forum does a pretty good job of separating the first 4 items from the 5th, or at least we try. There are Bug, have been Bugs, and probably always will be Bugs. It is disheartening, when one still lingers from version to version. Do not know of any of those in PrE 8, but can imagine that the developers did not catch one, or two, or could not fix it without breaking something else. PrPro has had a few of these. Also, CS4 introduced a small handful of others, though most were handled by CS4.2. Encore has had a couple since version 1.5, and a few new ones seem to have cropped up with CS4, though most seem centered on the greater implementation of Adobe Dynamic Link between Encore and PrPro.

Every time we are able to replicate the behavior, several of us file the Bug reports, going into as much detail, as we can provide, just in case it is STILL a system issue. We try to help Adobe help us, in every way that we can. It can be a slow process, and often the efforts seem to go unrewarded. Still, we attempt to make the program even better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Beware of Auto Color effect
                    outaluck

I was having similar difficulties with PE8 crashing Win 7 64 bit (almost certainly because of memory problems) during the encoding process of a long project with Auto Color and a couple of other effects applied.  I finally tried letting the background rendering process totally complete prior to starting the encoding.  In my case, this did not dramatically shorten the encoding time, but it did result in SUCCESS!  I am tentatively drawing the conclusion that letting the background rendering complete before encoding is a good idea when dealing with a lengthy project with multiple effects or filters applied.

• 7. Re: Beware of Auto Color effect
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting. I find it very useful to let each process complete, before doing anything else. This would be every process from Conforming to Rendering.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Beware of Auto Color effect
                        VDOSurfer Level 3

That is a really great input. People with DVD burning issues in PrE8 are everywhere! So the rules we have established are remove auto color effects and let background rendering finish.

Just to let you know, instead of waiting for background rendering, we could press Enter and let rendering happen. This is a lot faster (foreground vs background process)

Anybody who has any kind of a solution to anything DVD in PrE is an elevated being!!!

• 9. Re: Beware of Auto Color effect
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

From the FAQs to the right of this forum (and as detailed in my books):

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

• 10. Re: Beware of Auto Color effect
                            outaluck Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion and information about triggering foreground

rendering.  That will save me a lot of time and aggravation!

By the way, my project DID have the auto color effect applied.  Rendering

prior to encoding allowed the processing to continue without crashing even

with auto color applied.  This particular project really needed the auto

color since the color was way off kilter on the source videos.